Skins

i just finished watching the 1st episode from the us version, and my god what a complete parody it was, :yuk::sick:, all the cool parts and controversial content from the uk version was cut off, they bleeped the curses, and f@ck words.. just useless, not to mention they replace the gay character, and dear god what have they done with Cassie and Chris :angry::angry:
it was the 1st and last episode for me :shock:

The first 2 seasons of Skins are on Netflix so I checked it out. Wasn't impressed with it. After all the raving it gets from it's fanbase and critics I was expecting something different than the usual teen drama show dealing with angst, sexual identity issues, eating disorders, partying, etc. But that's pretty much what it was, but with more nudity thrown in the mix. I will say though that it was well acted.

i just finished watching the 1st episode from the us version, and my god what a complete parody it was, :yuk::sick:, all the cool parts and controversial content from the uk version was cut off, they bleeped the curses, and f@ck words.. just useless, not to mention they replace the gay character, and dear god what have they done with Cassie and Chris :angry::angry:
it was the 1st and last episode for me :shock:

oh wow it was really that bad ? :blink: I was ready to give it a try but I'm not so sure now..

^ well this is just my opinion, maybe others will find it good, give it a try, :flower:
it bothered me that they copied exact dialogues and situations, and cuted the most important parts....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the American Skins are generally wrong and we all know it, however, here's a bit of stuff that helped me to watch it through:
Quite nice styling. I really liked Michelle's shoes when she walked up to Tony and Sid, sorry, Stanley at the canteen.
Music at the party. Generally they had a few good tracks. On the other hand, there were like 20 tracks in the entire episode so accidentally a few of them must've been good.

The actress who plays Cady... Trying to forget the original Cassie character, I really like the girl.

That is all.

The best thing about the American "Skins" was the music. I hated everything else. The casting was just awful... I wasn't interested in any of the actors. I also didn't like how they pretty much ripped the original off shot for shot, but still they didn't get a decent end result. It was just dull.

I am a huge fan of the British "Skins" and I am sticking with that one. :heart:

^ Thanks everyone for letting me know that US Skins SUCKED. I'm not paying any attention to it and just getting ready for Series 5.

Aww maybe prior biased judgment also counted towards the unwelcome reception of US skins.. I think we should give it a chance to prove itself !

After reading all the comments I didn't want to watch it, but decided just to play the first 5 minutes to see what's up and ended up hooked on the whole thing :lol:.. I liked it a lot even if I know the story.. one thing that always bugged me about the first generation was their weird voices and how dull-looking they were, and I couldn't stand Cassie and her "crazy" acting, which looked more like a Nylon-reading hipster trying too hard to sound stoned and be "cute" at the same time.. so I like this Cassie (what's her name?) better, she does look a bit off. Also never bought Nicholas Hoult as some super-smart and handsome guy, until his Tom Ford ads, he was still the awkward 'About a Boy' kid to me.. so yeah. Oh, and I also like Sid and Michelle better.. everyone basically. It's a yay for me.

The only thing I still can't get my head around is Effy.. oh god, isn't Effy supposed to be an extra gorgeous girl with smart eyes that add up to the mystery of why she remains silent the whole time?, this girl isn't just painfully mundane but she also looked like she was falling asleep on the table. Bad casting there.. even some mall version of Willa Holland would've done it. :judge:

Regarding the censorship.. what's with the spiders in Tony's bed? :huh:.
I'm kind of not bothered by the lack of the f word.. I don't think it's used in the US with the same tone of nonchalance as in the UK so I'm glad there's less of it, it wouldn't sound very genuine, or funny.
Also it appears the show will be spending even more time in the editing room. :innocent:

i started watching Skins just last month and started with the 2nd generation (since i've been having a hard time downloading the complete
seasons of the 1stgen and didn't wanna skip on the episodes) but i think this series is really brilliant and shows a very accurate depiction
of what teens all encounter.. so naturally i was appalled when i heard that MTV was recreating their own version. now i'm not so sure what
i find more horrific, the general idea of the Skins having a US version, or just how disconcertingly ripped off MTV's whole format is :ninja:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/01/skins_american_british_31_diff.html

MTV, no one asked for this -_-

That's interesting that you started with the 2nd generation, I'd like to know your opinion once you see all the episodes of both generations, because so many people moaned about how the 2nd generation was weaker than the 1st, simply arguing that "it was better before", with no further argumentation.

I actually agree with Mulletproof about the acting of the first generation. I'm much more impressed by the 2nd cast, especially after re-watching the complete seasons, but the storylines were on the whole better in the two first seasons.

I thought US Skins was okay and I'll probably keep watching. The only thing I disliked was some of the dialogue was too British-- Americans don't talk the way some of the characters were talking. I also didn't like the US Effy. She's not very attractive and it will be hard to figure out why every boy on the planet falls in love with her if they mirror the UK skins plotlines.

I don't really see the point of watching US Skins if I've already watched UK Skins since they chose the exact same plot and characters, you already know what's gonna happen even if there are slight differences.. I would probably have watched it if they had invented brand new characters and storylines, but where's the creativity here ? Is it that complicated to create something on your own ?

However, I gave it a try. And it was pretty lame, which is a shame because most actors have a potential, like Cadie, Chris, Tea, Stanley,.. except Michelle and Daisy (aka Jal). Jal was one of my favourite characters and the US version doesn't do her any justice. I still don't know what to think about Tony, he was convincing sometimes but he lacks a bit of charisma for that part, and he and Michelle make an odd couple.

But overall, despite some skills, they all looked like they had a pickle up the a*s. Probably because there were too many restrictions. I mean Skins is about decadence, sometimes vulgarity, not politically correct and well, that was just the opposite. Or worse, there were some attempts but quickly bottled up, which is just wrong, if you wanna work it you've got to do it thoroughly.

Needless to say I probably won't watch the other episodes, unless I have 40 minutes to kill.

oh and why do they all insist on wearing t shirts when it's snowing ? :rofl:

^Only two of the episodes (one was the pilot)will mirror UK plotlines. The rest will be original. There's no way I would watch if all the stories were the same.

US Skins simply sucked.
I mean if you're going to basically replicated the show, why not keep everything the same? What I personally hated is how they replaced Maxxie with that one lesbian cheerleader. Everybody loves Maxxie, but unfortunately they just had to change his character. :rolleyes: . And not that it's a gay or lesbian issue, but I feel like since the show is targeting US viewers (well the US Version), I guess they had to change Maxxie to a lesbian which does ultimately seem more acceptable in showing on television. Sad, overall. -_-
But anyways....
Cassie's new character annoys the hell out of me. I mean she was a bit of an air head and was always bit positive...well at least compared to the US Cassie, which just seemed overall depressing with her issues. Bad casting there. I also hate the new Sid. At least the UK Sid was a tad bit attractive. Oh gawd.....bad casting for Effy.....bad casting for Chris (unfortunately, MTV couldn't get at least an attractive guy to play him)....ugh yeah it sucked. It's just funny how practically everyone I know is joining the bandwagon and loving this. If only they knew how the good the original one is. -_-

I think US Chris is cute, more than UK Chris ( I used to find him hot but now that I've rewatched it not so much, his acting wasn't that great either). But nevermind, the worse casting has to be Effy definitely..even though it's hard to find someone as gorgeous and charismatic as Kaya.
I think Tea (the lesbian) was OK but I wonder what they'll make of her, since there won't be the boy/boy ambuiguity that existed between Anwar and Maxxie.

^Only two of the episodes (one was the pilot)will mirror UK plotlines. The rest will be original. There's no way I would watch if all the stories were the same.

Thanks for the information ! Still I don't know if I'll watch it since I disliked the way it was filmed, the acting,..maybe I will if the new UK Skins (series 5) sucks.

I actually like the US Cassie (Cadie). It seems the US character will be darker personality-wise.

They really should have gotten some actual American teens to go over the dialogue. I've never heard drugs referred to as "narcotics" outside of movies about drug trafficking.

Awww thats disappointing..
I liked Cassie

btw, theres a lot of heat forming over the new US Skins isnt there ? companies are pulling their ads, they have to cut out a scene because a 17 yo is running the streets naked...

I dont even know why they bothered to make a US Skins.. the censorship on shows in the states is ridiculous..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelkt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->