Skins

Awww thats disappointing..
I liked Cassie

btw, theres a lot of heat forming over the new US Skins isnt there ? companies are pulling their ads, they have to cut out a scene because a 17 yo is running the streets naked...

I dont even know why they bothered to make a US Skins.. the censorship on shows in the states is ridiculous..

That was my biggest issue when I first heard about the US Skins. BBC America cuts out a lot of the racy scenes and the cursing when they show the original UK version of Skins. I don't understand why Skins, a fictional show, causes companies to pull their ads when MTV runs reality shows like Jersey Shore where the behavior is just as lewd and vulgar but ads aren't pulled for that show.

Oh well, I guess this just proves what we've all thought about the US Skins: EPIC FAIL!!!

The first episode of the remake was rubbish, but episode 2 was an improvement, pockets of schmaltziness notwithstanding. The actress who played Tea is not only the most attractive girl of the cast (honestly, she could wipe the floor with the girl who plays Michelle), but can also emote surprisingly well. Pity, same can't be said about the rest of the cast. One of the reasons why the original Skins worked so well, despite its unapologetic OOT-ness and occasional implausibility is because the characters were convincingly portrayed by the actors insofar as the characters have become synonymous with the actors who played them. I can't see anyone but Mike Bailey as Sid, I can't see anyone but Joe Dempsey as Chris, and I can't see anyone but Hannah Murray as Cassie. The guy who plays Tony is not only rather unattractive, but is way out of his depth saddled with the character of Tony. Sid is my favourite character of all four seasons of Skins, and the guy who plays Stanley (why the change of name BTW? I know America is a lot more ethnically diverse than the UK, so it makes sense to have an Italian surname than an Anglican surname, but the change of the first names of some of the characters defeats me) is a poor actor. I don't for a moment believe he'll be able to do justice to Sid's vulnerability and haplessness. And the girl who plays Cadie should've been told that there's nuance to be found even in Cassie's blankest of stares.

It isn't so much the writing or the occasional infidelity to the original than the poor casting combined with poor acting which makes this so bad. :( The original (only the first two series; the third and fourth were pants) worked because scratching beneath the hedonism and the debauchery, there was an underlying skein of pathos and poignancy and melancholy which people could relate to. There's no overt moralising, but the fact that none of the characters are exactly happy people is something that's subtle yet inescapable (and something which America in general doesn't seem to grasp, given the response from the advertisers and the drop in the viewership and the furore raised by the conservatives). During the course of the series, some of the characters changed (Tony) while some remained more or less the same, but the overarching fact is that as a viewer you grew to really care for or at least understand the characters. As far as the US Skins is concerned, I couldn't care less about them, and this, I think, is the show's greatest failing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like American's aren't ready to accept this kind of show. I mean pretty much all of the advertisers are pulling out because of the racy content the show has. It's having more problems then it really needs to have because American's are a bunch of prudes :lol:

The original skins first 2 seasons were one of the greatest shows out there. After, not so great.

I haven't watched yet any of the us episodes. Going to do that def.later on.

I think it's a myth American's are prudes. Glee has been dealing with much more controversial topics-- coming out, actual lesbian make-out sessions. Heck one of the high school students was a gigolo. Shows like True Blood and Californication are loaded with sex and debauchery and they are big hits.

The advertisers aren't pulling out because Americans are demanding it. They're cowering to a few politically powerful conservative groups. Conservatives have a strong voice and a lot of clout in the U.S. despite being a relative minority.

The ratings drop had more to do with the fact the second episode didn't have a lead-in to Jersey shore to boost the ratings. This show would have been a better fit on a network like Showtime or HBO where controversial topics and racy plotlines are the norm. It's hard to get a scripted drama to be a hit in the U.S. if it isn't about hospitals or crime scene investigations. Maybe if one of the teens on Skins was a vampire....

I think because Glee is a comedy and a musical, people don't see it the same way they would see Skins..

they are two completely different shows in two different genres, so they cant really be compared..
thats my opinion anyway.. :ermm:

I feel incredibly confused by how good the second episode of American Skins was. THIS DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!!!!! WHY IS IT ALL OF A SUDDEN GOOD?????????

awww, i'm so sad there's no cassie in skins movie, coz i really adoring her bubbly, and awkward acting in skins!

and btw i just watched the newest skins UK generation 5, and it was so good!

i just wonder, who will die first in this new series! i mean, in their previous seasons, they always at least make one cast died!
and one cast keeps leading to the next generations!

^ I couldn't see anyone from the last series in last night's episode :unsure:
It may be too soon to say but, not feeling any of these new characters

The 1st episode of series 5 was good. Not really keen on the new characters but it's maybe too early to judge. Still, Mini is so far the most unlikeable characters of all series.
However they have to get rid of the habit of creating a crazy/loony girl each generation, OK there's been Cassie, Pandora, now Grace, she's fine but enough now :rolleyes:

Yes, just this week ^_^ ! It was rather good but now that I think of it, it was a bit too safe/easy compared to season 1 and 3 openings (which presented the new generations).
Btw, I don't know if it's been mentioned but apparently Kelly Brook will have a cameo in this season :unsure:

Hannah didn't say she wasn't going to be in the movie, just that there weren't any concrete plans about it yet. I'm hoping she gets confirmed for the movie, and Sid too! Won't be the same without them :(

who is Kelly Brook ?

Model/actress/TV Presenter.....really pretty and glamorous in an old style kind of way.

Quite enjoyed the first episode of new series. It always takes a while to adjust to new characters and Grace was always gonna be the most interesting, so made sense for the first ep. to revolve around her. The actress who plays her did a decent job too. See how it goes from here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelkt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->