Spanx anyone?

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
i was trend hunting when i read this article at The Observer, so i brought it in for discussion and opinions..

The riddle of the Spanx

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]They're the massive, ungainly pants that make celebs feel a million dollars. Rachel Cooke tries them out[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Sunday March 26, 2006
The Observer

[/FONT]On Monday night I had to attend a smart dinner at the Dorchester hotel in Park Lane. Very exciting. I wore a brown silk dress by Ann Louise Roswald with matching fishnet tights and, beneath the whole ensemble, a tight pair of Spanx. Yes, Spanx, which are knickers by any other name. No one knew about the Spanx, obviously, until, tipsy and breathless, I unaccountably decided to tell my female colleagues about them. I even gave them a spirited flash. 'Oh my God,' they squealed, almost to a woman. 'Let's see that again.' Their reactions ranged from disbelief to fascination to - am I just imagining it? - envy. You see, when you're wearing Spanx, you're never lost for sisterly conversation.
The whole Spanx thing started for me when I set about finding a dress in which to get married. The woman I chose to make this dress said: 'Now, I want you to go to Rigby & Peller and buy some Spanx.' What on earth are Spanx? 'They're big pants. They start here [she pointed just above her knees] and they end here [she pointed just below her breasts], and they're great.' Gulp. They didn't sound great to me. But later I mentioned them to my sister, the usual sceptical look on my face. 'Oh, I've got some,' she said. 'They're really good. All the Hollywood stars wear them. They make you look so smooth.' She took a sip of wine. 'The only thing is ... ' She wrinkled her nose. 'They're crotchless, so you can pee.'
Anyway, I dutifully bought my Spanx - from John Lewis - and, in the privacy of my home, rolled them on. This took, oh, only about 20 minutes. Job done, I'll admit that I looked not unlike Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie. The physical effect, however, was remarkable, especially once I had covered them up with clothes: no bumps, no lumps, no VPL. And I thought Gwyneth Paltrow and her ilk relied on Photoshop to smooth their bottoms in the glossies. OK, so sitting down felt a bit weird. But you can't have everything. Besides, who needs to sit down when you can cruise the room in a swan-like state of immaculate smoothness? Not me! Spanx were invented in America by a woman called Sara Blakely. She put up $5,000 of her own money to get a prototype manufactured, and sold her first pair to Neiman Marcus by modelling them herself for the store's buyer. They have since graced the pages of American Vogue. Some items in the Spanx range are for slimming, some for smoothing. Some - like the catsuit affair that covers everything but your feet - are probably best for inducing gangrene (only joking, Sara). But they do work, and their packaging has a certain witty honesty. 'Slim Cognito,' it'll say. Or: 'All of the lean, none of the mean.' They are not, however, pants in which to date - or, as I learned in the loos at the Dorchester, pants in which to rush. On Monday I was eager to spend as much time as possible drinking champagne. My pants, on the other hand, had other ideas, holding me temporary prisoner in my cubicle, my ankles bound together as if by steel cuffs.

so, whould you wear those or not?
i'm afraid i'm not redy to enter the modern corset trend myself..
opinions?

god - these have been around since the 80's...:lol:...

I've seen these kinds of underwear on home shopping tv, and it's all so American, isn't it? 200 pound women squeezing into mega-hold-it-all-in-pants...

Of course they work, but I'm not so sure women are ready to step into "corsets", even if they are more comfortable than yesterdays?

I feel they are for special occasions, like if you want to look great in your wedding dress or at a ball?

supposedly its THE new thing with actresses and socialites, hence the article..

the other day i saw a quite famous, local & quite skinny model wearing this under her skinny trousers on a award event..
it should have been this 'spanx' thing and was it actually showing big time

^ Yes, but will it spread? I think actresses and socialites are quite removed from "normal" people. I may be wrong, but I see this as strictly "for show".

they affect so much the mainstream '''fashion-is-ta''' that it woudn't surprise me to see an actual trend on the rise.. like corset time of skinny obsessives, you know what i mean..

thats why i brought this here for discussion, i seriously want to hear if our trendspotting crowd is willing to follow

Lena said:
supposedly its THE new thing with actresses and socialites, hence the article..

Oprah promotes Spanx constantly and I've found this on the high end stores where the matronly wealthy women of this country shops ... enough said!

tott said:
I've seen these kinds of underwear on home shopping tv, and it's all so American, isn't it? 200 pound women squeezing into mega-hold-it-all-in-pants...

Of course they work, but I'm not so sure women are ready to step into "corsets", even if they are more comfortable than yesterdays?

I feel they are for special occasions, like if you want to look great in your wedding dress or at a ball?

I agree. I remember that shopping tv ad vividly!

It makes me think of the scene from Bridget Jones with her big nickers, just bigger pants. I guess it depends on what the event is that you are attending. If it were my wedding, with photos to last a lifetime...., then I might venture into this league, if I were an actress on the red carpet perhaps. But a regular weekend night probably not... Way to restrictive

But where do the rolls of fat go? Surely they poke over the top, or out the bottom or something :blink:

I recently heard an interview with the woman who invented the line, and she's releasing a lower-end line version of spanx for target soon.

Spanx the brand have been around for ages as well. I know they were in my local city (which is quite small) when I graduated high school several years ago. And celebs have been talking about them for years as well. I was quite surprised when that article came out because it's a bit 'late' in my opinion.

spanx for target would be intertesting...
so- i wonder if it's cheaper... then does it hold in less flesh?...
:lol:...

this is not a trend---as has been said, it is a 'special occassion thing'...
you can barely get women to wear control top pantyhose...:P

maybe a few young (dumb) things will give it a try...but it really doesn't do anything except when you are wearing a very tight shiny dress or something...(ie- at and event)..and it gives you a stomach ache after awhile...
so no one will wear it for long...even if they are silly enough to think that it is a substitute for diet and excercise...

plus- it's not anything new...
just a 'fluff' article i'd say...meant to be humourous ...

i'm obviously living in the woods here, i find this kind of 'slimming' garment too '50s to be true in 2006..

guess i'm moving this thread at our personal style section since i'm obviously embrarashing myself by having posted this at trendspotting

thanks for all the good feedback :flower:

Lena, I don't think your embarrassing yourself! I remember a woman on the train reading out that article to her daughter because she was so surprised. I think it's quite 'new' to the UK and Europe, but I could be wrong.

i would never, ever wear some full-body compressing tights deal. spanx makes other types of hosiery, which are fine, like the one time every store was out of non-control top anything (i hate control top, the last thing i need is something to make me look even skinnier...), so i bought a pair of spanx thigh-high. they actually miraculously stayed up the entire night due to the massive rubber bands at the top.

even if i felt that i could stand to lose several pounds and look smoother in a dress, i would not opt for these total-body spanx. as far as i'm concerned, restricting your body like that went out in the first half of the 20th century, and i'm not looking to revisit it. regular corset usage must have been much more dangerous for women than these things, but still, it's uncomfortable constriction in an attempt to look "perfect". which is ridiculous. i hope these don't ever become popular, just as i hope the corset never comes back into regular wear.

You must get so HOT wearing one of those...:cry: Oh, the thought alone...and if you eat too much, how do you take it off?

Thanks for posting the article Lena. :flower:

I won't be doing this.. that's for sure. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiepeaches
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->