Starting To Wear Makeup: Makeup for Beginners

gigi_101

Reaction score
hi. im 12 years old and going to the 7th grade this year! my mom is finally starting to relize i want to wear make-up and that im getting older. she says that i can wear alittle but she still has her rules. :woot:

MOM'S RULES :blush: :rolleyes:

#1. no wearing dark make-up or ulta bright colors.

#2. only light and pastel colors.

#3. no liquid eyeliner. just pencil and i can ony wear white or brown. but i can have a few bright colors to wear on the weekends and on special occasions.

#4. i can wear mascara, SOMETIMES, on the weekend and special ocassions. again i can only wear the colors clear or brown.

#5. i can have eyeshadows as long as the follow the guild lines of rule #2.

#6. i can have powder and conceler. i had to beg her for these items. i exclaimed that i had been having dark circles during the school year because of pulling all-nighters and doing tons of homework. she agreed because she saw.

#7.i can wear it on a daily basis as long as it does not become my first prority and i must have alteast one day of the week that i give the make-up a rest.

#8. i can not wear lots of make-up. i AGREE.

#9.since i go to a private school. we can not wear alot of make-up. so on school days when at school i can only wear: mascara,lip gloss, and powder or conceler.

#10. i can wear alittle blush. but only a lite natrual shade like peach or pink. i have dark tan skin.

#11. i have to keep up my grades and have good behaivor. i dont think that will be a problem. i have been that way forever.

#12. i have a time limit in the bathroom on putting on make-up.

#13. no glitzy, 80's madonna look at any time.

#14. make sure it STAYS NATURAL.

#15. no making a big deal of it. like talking about it constantly. (even though i will for a while, i gotta break one rule, but not on purpose)

#16. stay away from the caked look. keep it lite and fresh.

#17. be able to except that now when you get in trouble , i can use this against you.* my mom sure is a clever thinker*:innocent:

#18. only wear bright pencil liner when you go out with friends(mall, skate rink, ect.) no wearing make-up like that during regular days.

#19. no sneacking the make-up i dont want you to use.:ninja:

#20. if you breack one of the rules(except rule #15) an 1 item or more of make-up will be taken away. if i breack more than one rule then half of the make-up i own will be taken away and if i breack more than 3 rules all of it will be taken away.

i know, 20 rules!!!!!!!!:shock: but at least i can wear it. can anyone give me some tips on what poducts i should use that can fit my buget. i already like N.Y.C cosmetics. the reason i didnt say anything about lip gloss or lipstick is because i already wear it and i know what kinds of shades i can wear. but i like lip gloss alone because i think lipstick makes your lips dry. please give me any info on your exprience with make-up and what kinds you started out wearing. i also need tips on applying makeup. and buying good kinds on a budget and should i invest in buying a make-up bag or box? my mom wuld give my tips on applying make-up but she dosent wear much. all she wear is mascara,liquid eyeliner, and some chap stick. she only wear lipstick when she goes out and even then most of the time she dosent wear any.:shock:

can you please help this newbie!!!

for rule #20. i meant that my make-up will be taken away for a certin amount of time.

:flower: I just walked through stores n bought what I liked. Against what most will probably say on here, I don't spend a ton of money on my makeup. Most of my eyeshadows are from walgreens, being whatever brand had a color that caught my eye. Buy the items you like, or take your mom with you and pick them out together, that way you wont be going against anything (color wise) that she doesn't want you to wear, and you can explain to her what you like and don't like.

I have a makeup bag that I carry around with me to touch-up between work and school or school and going out. And I've never bought a makeup box so I can't help you there, I have one of those three drawer rubbermaid bins that I throw everything into.

Only thing I wish I would have done from the start was buy good brushes, nothings more annoying then having little hairs from your brush on your face, and buying several eye shadow brushes (different sizes, angles all that).

Most common mistake I see on younger girls is the "my foundation/powder/conceler is the wrong shade,not blended,caked on" issue.

Less is more when your just starting and are learning what looks good and balanced on you. Nothing worse then the youngin at the mall with the full on "drama" makeup that thinks it looks natural. Have a night with your mom (or some friends) play around, see if you can blend a few shades of eye shadow to make your own look, or learn which ones you can apply dry and then wet for more definition. It's fun and you'll teach yourself what you like and what looks good on you.

Yay for you! I think that's so cute your mom wrote those rules. My only advice to you is not to wear too much or try to look older. Makeup is just to enhance the beauty that's already there! So show off your naturally youthful glow. Enjoy being young and looking young while you can... Have fun with makeup but don't become a slave to it (as in you can't leave the house without it).

IMO 12 is a very young age to wear make up 'cos you still have that dewy youthful skin that older people (like me :ninja: ) crave for and try to create with cosmetics. However, I think the most important thing is to have good skincare first and foremost. Powder is fine but just a light layer and not the foundation types. Since you mom allows make up but with rules (very wise I must say), use this privilege to enhance your features instead of hiding them under layers of makeup. Always remembers, when it comes to make up, less IS more.

Light natural blush to make you look healthy and rosy cheeked, a sweet pastel shade on your lids (I honestly don't think you'd need mascara) and tinted lip gloss (worn on top of a light colored lipstick if you must) would suffice I'd say.

accually i wont be wearing mascara or foundation. my mom hates foundation and told never to wear it. also i dont need mascara either. and i dont plain on wearing it till im wayyyyyyyyy older like maybe 17-19. i also dont like lip stick and i rather wear lip gloss. also, i hate it when people cake on make up (nomatter what age). it looks........rather weird??? and im sure me and my mom agree with you on the LESS is MORE thing. so i dont think i will have a problem with that. and yes i do love to have youthful skin but with youthful skin comes acne,blemishes, zits. i just hate that part. a i think that you have a great sence in make-up and you are just the person i would love to come to. your info was just the look i was going for. lite,fresh and simple.

Let me just say, gigi_101, I :heart: your mom! I can't tell you how refreshing it is to hear about a mom who actually understands that her 12-year-old daughter shouldn't be walking around looking trashy. Too many girls your age try to guild the lily and end up looking awful - with their parents blessing.

As for make-up: Perhaps you should make an appointment with a make-up artist who can show you how to use minimal make-up effectively. Best of luck! And how about giving your mom a big hug for me :flower:

BTW: I'm 25 and don't wear eye shadow, mascara, etc. In my opinion, women of all ages would be wise to follow your mom's guidelines.

I think at your age all you need to look made-up is:

-Some brown mascara to open up your eyes(curling your lashes makes a big change, for special occasions)
-Some pretty lipgloss with just a hint of pink or peach
-A fresh, peach colored blush (don't overload on it!)

I think that eye liner is too much. I don't think you'll need anything on that gorgeous 12 year old skin of yours. And I think that the three items I mentioned will give you a put together look, without making it look heavy, or make it look like you're entirely too pre-occupied with it.

If you want to go funky for parties and such, you can always do your toenails in any color of the rainbow, and wear some cute sandals to show them off.

i will give my mom a hug just for you hipkittne. i give hugs like a million times a day!! :D

P.Peach i think i still want to learn about make-up for future reasurance while keeping my moms rules in mind.

i think it was when i was 12 that i started wearing make up! I wore maybelline great lash mascara and caboodles cotton candy lipgloss. Now i wear less than that lol...

Auuw. This is such a cute thread. :blush: You must be excited! In 7th grade I only wore roll-on glitter on my eyelids (it was 1997) and I didn't start wearing "real" make-up until 8th grade. I'd stick with cheaper drugstore brands until at least high school because the difference between expensive and cheap make-up is usally how it's formulated to work with and enhance your skin and yours is probably already fresh and dewy the minute you wake up. I think I was kinda anti-makeup for the first couple of years because during ballets we had to wear a lot of exaggerated stage makeup so it felt funny to wear any outside the theater. I do have one suggestion though: since you are going to be spending more time making your face beautiful, make sure you wear a sunscreen on your face every day. That will keep you gorgeous when you are not so blessed with youthful skin. Even if it's winter. Even if you live in Alaska! B)

i started wearing make up, like regularly, when i was twelve (that wasn't too long ago, lol). my mom was never strict about what i wore in general, but at the time all i wore was eyeliner in the inside of my eye and a little lipgloss. just stick with the masacara and the lipgloss.

For good brushes w/o spending insane amounts, try art stores or Michaels. They have the same fan brush w/ softer bristles that I bought at Benefit for $14.00! It was only $2.50 there.

P.Peach gave you the best advise :D

I wouldn´t even bother with eyeshadows or pencils. And i would advise you to forget the concealer. Concealer in a 12 year old is just too much. The way i picture it, it will look as noticeable as a black eyeliner. Since you have no experience in makeup, there are more chances that you won´t get the right colour or the best way to apply it, and believe me it´s hard.
But with a little make up you ´ll see that your undereye circles won´t get as much attention as they did before.

Get a clear mascara, a nice light pinky lipgloss (no shimmer) a very light blush and that´s just about all you´ll need to use everyday.
Since it´s your first time on using makeup, with only these 3, you´ll see all the difference you need.
For special occasions use the brown mascara and just a tiny bit of a light shimmer in your lids.

Have fun! :smile:

thanks sofialuv, i think that really what im going to do. even though im doing that my friends also want to start and i made this for them also. i have 2 friends my age and i have a friend who going to the 8th grade this year and is 13.

well i go to a private school (not for rich people) and for some reason it seems that every thursday all the teachers pile on the homework and we have like a teacher for everysubject. i dont know why but. we also have lots of pop quizzes and tests. so yes sometimes i do have to pull all nighters.

PS. u dont think this should be happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->