Natural / Minimal Makeup

i love the first photo of Natalie, reminds me of how gorgeous her skin was in Anywhere But Here. and the last photo of Edita and one of Kim Noorda!

shape.jpg

my scan from Shape magazine

Foundation:
Start out with a good primer (after cleansing and treating, of course). I'd suggest Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer. This will allow the makeup to glide on smoother and more naturally, as well as minimizing the appearance of pores. Use one pump, and dab it on the T-Zone, then smooth into the rest of your face with your fingers. Wait about a minute, then I'd recommend applying Cosmedicine Tinted Moisturizer in Fair. This gives a sheer layer of color to even out skin tone and downplay minor blemishes. Squeeze about a dime sized amount onto your fingers, and warm it up by rubbing it in between the fingers of both hands. Starting at the nose and moving outwards, using small circular motions, blend into the skin, making sure to blend well along the line of demarkation (down onto your neck), into the hairline, and even slightly onto the lips (to avoid that ring of different colored skin around them). If you plan on using any eye makeup, do not blend onto your eyelids or the area around them, as this will just cause the makeup to slip and/or crease later. If not, feel free to blend onto the eyeids and underneath the eyes to help downplay darkness, allowing for less concealer in these areas. Make sure to blend downwards at the end to smooth down any facial hair (EVERYONE has it; though on most women it is miniscule, not smoothing it down will result in a less effective makeup application.).

Concealer:
Use NARS Concealer in either Vanilla, Honey, or Custard (you'll need to find which one matches your skin tone and undertone the best). Using a synthetic concealer brush, swipe it gently over the stick a few times (on only one side of the brush). Lightly dab it onto any blemishes, and then use the other side of the brush to gently tap and stipple the areas into the rest of the skin. If more coverage is necessary, wait a minute, and then apply another layer. Get some more concealer on the brush, and dab it GENTLY underneath the eyes, on the bridge of your nose near your eyes, and onto the eyelid (again, only if you're not going to be using eye makeup). Gently dab at it, and then, using the ring-finger of your non-dominant hand, gently tap it in and blend upwards from the line of demarkation under your eye. Blending downwards will simply make the surrounding skin lighter, which will make the circles under the eyes just look darker again.

Finishing:
If your skin gets oily, dust a little bit of loose translucent powder over the T-Zone area (I'd recommend Aveda's Loose Translucent Powder and a large, soft, natural-bristle powder brush). I personally don't think that most mascara is good for a natural look. Instead, simply curl your eyelashes with a good curler (I'd recommend Shu Uemera. Possibly the best one out there). Starting at the lashline, squeeze lightly for 5-10 seconds, then "pulse" up the rest of the lashes, moving up slightly and squeezing and releasing quickly as you go up. Make sure to comb your lashes afterwards to separate them and give them more definition. Make sure to comb your eyebrows up and out, and use some clear brow gel if necessary (for unruly brows).

Lips:
Apply a generous amount of chapstick to your lips, and let it sit for 5 minutes (you can also do this at the beginning of the process if you're running short on time). After the 5 minutes, blot off, and using the concealer brush, apply a VERY thin layer of concealer to the middle of your bottom lip (in a horizontal line that dips down slightly at the very center) and a small elongated dot in the very middle of your upper lip. Then apply a slightly shimmery gloss with only a sight tint. I'd recommend the bronzer shade of CARGO's Macchu Picchu, although this may be too dark for use with blonde hair. Try to go for a glossy, transparent pink, light peach, beige, or honey color. After letting it sit for a minute, kiss the back of your hand or a tissue two or three times to remove the excess gloss. This will leave a slight glow that will give your lips a more natural, plump appearance (the concealer on the lips helps to make them appear bigger).

Blush:
Finally, take a bit of blush (such as NARS Blush in Orgasm, or, for a more natural glow, apply the redder shade of the Macchu Picchu gloss underneath your tinted moisturizer but on top of your primer (for a glow from within look) or on top of your moisturizer for a slightly more "pinched cheek" look in the following manner) and apply in one the two following methods (type dependent). For a powder blush, take a bit on a blusher brush (making sure to tap off excess), and apply to the cheekbone area, starting at the back (closest to your ear). Sweep towards the apple of your cheek, then sweep back towards the ear again. Go back in the opposite direction to blend. For a creme/liquid blush (such as the Macchu Picchu gloss), dot a bit onto the apples of your cheeks and blend back towards your ears. For a powder blush, make sure to apply a bit of translucent powder to the area first to avoid a blotchy finish. For a creme/liquid blush, apply powder afterwards to avoid caking and smudging.

This is it! For a really natural look, I wouldn't recommend using mascara, eye makeup (at least not anything more than a shade or two from your natural color), or heavily colored lip color. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
wow!!!:woot: I'm gonna try that!!You really know your stuff!:flower:
are you a makeup artist??

^^I think it's important not to forget the brows...I find that always having them dyed in a shade that fits you saves a lot of time. I brush my brows through with a heavy moisturizer and set them lightly with hairspray.

It's also very important (for me) to always dye the lashes black, otherwise you end up looking washed out. It's possible to use mascara and still make it look natural if you don't apply mascara at the tips, only the roots.

It takes a lot of work to wear minimal makeup - you have to have really nice skin and groomed brows and lashes.

I also think it's pretty to use a dab of metallic eyeshadow in the inner corner of the eyes.

00400m.jpg

style.com

Another thing is that concealer is really important. I find that fluid concealer works the best and looks very natural, and NARS may not have a colour that suits you. I love Helena Rubinstein's Magic Concealer in 01, it suits me the best, but there are only three colours, and of course they can't match every skin tone. A good concealer brush is crucial as well.

ModelBoy, some great advice there, I'm going to try the concealer for fuller-looking lips.

Everyone has different needs for enhancing their natural looks through makeup. Some people have lovely skin, so they don't need primer/foundation etc. And I hate them all. As Ida mentioned, many people need to define their brows and lashes, yet others' are dark and thick. My lashes don't even require an eyelash curler, but I need a bit of eyeshadow in the eye crease, or else my look is flat, especially in pictures. Some people have rosy, pigmented lips, others need a touch of color there. And so on.

It's also very interesting how people on this thread define natural/minimal makeup in different ways. So far it has meant:
- a natural-looking effect, achieved with any number of products.
- a natural-looking effect, achieved with minimal products.
- an unnatural effect, achieved with minimal products (ex. no makeup at all except for dark eyeliner or bright lips).
- an unnatural effect, but with very light application (ex. pastel colors, translucent glitter/shimmer).

I personally veer towards the last three. I don't like natural makeup achieved through tons of products, but stress and lack of sleep render it a necessary evil sometimes.

The_Ida, i love metallic shadow on the inner corners & i love Snejana! & its true about how much having nice skin, groomed brows, and lashes help to achieve the natural/minimal makeup look. if you work on those then its easy from there on.

024.jpg

Olivia Wilde

Oliva-W.com

Exfoliation is also key to smooth, natural looking skin. If you have very sensitive skin and find that scrubs are too abrasive then you should def try cleanser and serums with Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) in them.. Dermalogica, Skinceuticals, and Glytone are very good options. It may take a couples weeks to see positive results, especially if you still have acne, for the acids in the products will help bring up the rest of the acne in your skin (which is very necessary in getting clear and healthy skin)..just get a facial so you can get "extractions". After that your skin will be more clarified, smoother, and a lot brighter. Then you are on your way to younger looking skin.xx

nmkk.jpg

Kristin Kreuk

i rocked this look yesterday. my friend called me to ask me to go shopping with her. i had to just slap some makeup on real quick, kept the eyes soft and bit of pink on cheeks and lips.

source : DKS

diana2mp9.jpg

Diana Moldovan

posted by pipoca in Diana Moldovan's thread
ph: SYLVIE-BENOIT
lt2.fr

Has anyone here tried young blood? its a mineral based foundation. its a little cheaper than bare mionerals but i guess it works alot better. A friend recommened it to me... but i dont know really what to go for.

Im out of the states right now and when i get back im going on a huge make up buying spree!!!! so i need to know everything to get, form the minerals foundation to eyelashes.

I have really green eyes an oval face and and dark brown hair. my skin type is normal and i dont have break outs. but i still want something a little more organic in the foundation department, with the eyes i dont care so much.

What do you all think?

Has anyone here tried young blood? its a mineral based foundation. its a little cheaper than bare mionerals but i guess it works alot better. A friend recommened it to me... but i dont know really what to go for.

2 of my best friends use Young Blood foundation, and it's amazing on them. I was planning on purchasing it for myself too, but I ended up trying out a tinted moisturiser that I bought instead, but I will be trying out Young Blood down the line...

Great thread it's really helpful. I never thought about using brow gel despite that the fact that my brows can be very unruly at times.

I think it's really important to keep your natural look so after doing my skincare routine, I just use Lancome mascara and sometimes Chanel blush, and of course lip balm. :smile:

I can't believe Joy Bryant hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet. She always wears such natural-looking and minimal makeup. I can't really recreate her makeup because I look nothing like her, but I find her very inspiring.

042908_bryant2_400x400.jpg

Joy Bryant

To get Joy Bryant's gorgeous glow, Lancome makeup artist Tarek Abbas focuses on hydrating and perfecting the star's skin. After moisturizing, use a powder like Lancome Dual Finish all over the face with a fluffy brush to create a matte effect, then warm the skin with a bronzer—Abbas used Lancome's limited-edition Star Bronzer compact on Bryant—and highlighting brush to create a natural look. When working with bronzing powers, use the tip of brush making quick circular motions on the cheek, skin and nose. "During the summer this is the perfect look because it's light and fresh and the colors and textures enhance the natural beauty of anyone," said Abbas. If you're using bronzer on darker skin, try Lancome's #3 brush which provides a lighter application.
text and image from instyle.com

That's not AHA...

Yes it is :smile: (Lactic Acid)

My favourite natural makeup look is -
- MD Skincare All-in-One Tinted Moisturiser
- By Terry Bronze Expert
- Chanel Inimitable Mascara (after curling lashes)
- YSL Shiny Lip Plumper in Candy

This is only if I am in a big hurry though - I would also use Prescriptives Flawless Primer, By Terry Touch Expert, Fusion Beauty Brightening Mineral Powder, Kevyn Aucoin Celestial Powder (bridge of nose, cupid's bow, centre of eyelids, brow bone, inner corner of eyes, temples, chin), Nars Eyeshadow in Cairo, Stila Brow Powder & By Terry Rose de Rose Sheer Liquid Blush in Fresh Rose.
Other fantastic products to use for a natural look are Nars Blush in Orgasm, Prescriptives Stick Foundation, Becca Compact Concealer, Nars Loose Powder, Nars Highlighting Powder in Albatross, Nars Bronzing Powder in Laguna, YSL Shiny Lip Plumper in Nude, Nars Lipgloss in Chihuahua, Nars The Multiple in Portofino, Estee Lauder Eyeshadow in Mocha, Stila Lip Colour in Wendy, Prescriptives Traceless, By Terry Light & Bronze Expert Mineral Compacts... I will stop now, but I can go on lol.
As other people said, it is important to have agood skincare regime - a gentle, water-soluble cleanser that balances the skin, antioxidant-rich serum and/or moisturiser suitable for your skintype that contains hyaluronic acid and gentle yet effective exfoliants (both manual & chemical - unless you have active breakout, then chemical only).
HTH :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aurah
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->