Starting To Wear Makeup: Makeup for Beginners

AGE 12: powder,lipgloss, natural shades of eyeshadow, eyelash curler
NORMAL DAYS: eyelash curler, lip gloss, powder
SPECIAL DAYS: same as normal but i can wear natural shades or light shimmer eyeshadow

thats the make-up ill use right now. im still deciding on the whole eyeshadow thing. do i want to wear it now. even though it would be barley notcible natural shades that i only wear on special occasions. but i dont know i might not want to go with that.maybe ill wait til im 13.not really sure though. hmmmmmmmmmmmm......confused???

I also went to a pretty high-stress high school.

Here's a tip for after those all-nighters: Keep a bottle of your favorite face lotion in the fridge (a good inexpensive one is Dove's fragrance-free face lotion). Then put it on in the morning after an allnighter...it'll keep your face smooth, but also feel refreshing if your face is tired and puffy.

gigi_101 said:
i exclaimed that i had been having dark circles during the school year because of pulling all-nighters and doing tons of homework.

Slightly OT, but is this representative of most 12 year olds entering 7th grade? :shock:

Well, I am fifteen and just started getting into makeup a few years ago. My daily look is basically what your going for so I just thought I'd share what products I use. :smile:

Although I own a lot of glosses, I usually just dab on Smith's Rosebud Salve whenever I need it (My staple) It's inexpensive and works great. If I want a more high gloss I usually use MAC's clear gloss and dab some in the middle of my bottom lip. I use the Shu eyelash curler and skip on the mascara. I do use blush however in the popular shade by NARS. But since I'm not sure if your going to use blush, a great alternative would be Illuminous by Milani. it looks exactly like the nars but is much cheaper ($3.99) and is available at a lot of drugstores. If you do choose to use it I think that would be a great shade to apply lightly.

Well good luck and have fun! :wink:

For me, one of the most enjoyable aspects of make-up is the packaging of the products and organizing them into a little make-up bag. Yes, I just love the cute containers of lip gloss! Get a nice little make-up bag and try to keep your products in good condition. (Always seal the caps and lids!)

I don't actually wear make-up too often, (Just a touch of mascara and gloss) but I enjoy keeping my cosmetics clean and organized.

On a sidenote, Eye shadow can be over-rated. I find that a touch of shimmery shadow is all you need to enhance your eyes. Bright colors never look natural.
I am 16 now, but when I was 12 I started getting pimples and stuff. Try not to touch your face to much, as it will make matters worse. Also, washing it too much is also a bad thing, as it can cause your face to produce more oils. (I give my face a quick scrub in the shower now and mosturize afterwards, rather than a full skin care ritual which is often unnessecary. I haven't had any spots or breakouts since!) If your skin is naturally oily, get some blotting papers rather than washing it too much.

Ooh I am excited just talking about make-up. I really want to go cosmetics shopping now... :D

thanks Stargirl, you gave some much needed info. its funny that it makes you want ot go cosmetic shopping. :D :smile:

another newbie

love this thread! :heart:

i'm also a beginner like gigi_101. any tips for an asian like me? my skin color is medium brown. i often find some colors very pretty, but i'm afraid it's not the right shade for me and it's more suitable for caucasians.

and since i don't want to look like a clown or something, how do i pull a no-make-up-make-up-look. hope i didn't confuse you there. i mean, i want to "enhance" my look without going overboard. i want to apply make-up, but still want to look "natural". :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to wear black eyeliner without looking like a raccoon when you have small eyes and no crease?

^ i hope you dont mind if i assume that youre asian. but being an asian as well, i find that a dark brown color better suits the rest of my dark features(eyebrows, eyes, hair)

and as for applying it, if you have small eyes its best to just line either the top or the bottom. when you line both, it gives the appearance of smaller eyes
and if you want your eyes to look bigger, light natural shades of eyeshadow seem to work for me

:flower:

Hehe, of course not, seeing how I am Asian ^-^ Yeah, that's how I usually do it, lining only the bottom lashes. I'll try the eyeshadow, thanks :]

miss_pixie said:
love this thread! :heart:

i'm also a beginner like gigi_101. any tips for an asian like me? my skin color is medium brown. i often find some colors very pretty, but i'm afraid it's not the right shade for me and it's more suitable for caucasians.

and since i don't want to look like a clown or something, how do i pull a no-make-up-make-up-look. hope i didn't confuse you there. i mean, i want to "enhance" my look without going overboard. i want to apply make-up, but still want to look "natural". :P

One thing I have found is that there is a suitable shade of a color for everyone. (Like on my skin I looked washed with baby pinks, but look better with a fuschia pink).

Being part asian myself (filipino) I think we both have similar shadings of medium brown skin. In general I find slightly shimmery beige and peaches and bronzes compliment everyone really...on people I rarely use matte eyeshadows...specially on more natural tones. I noticed it looks more washed out than complimenting if not done right. I really am liking MAC Amber lights (golden peachy brown with goldenshimmer)...it's noticable..makes your eyes pop..but it's not too overdone...more natural ones are things like shroom (soft muted golden beige with opalescent shimmer)...Honey lust( bronze dipped peach) together its really nice for a slightly more dramatic effect....

If you feel really lost on what to buy...go to a makeup counter and just play around with colors on your hand that draw you....ask some help from the counters makeup artist to show you how to apply the colors. that made it a lot easier on me to learn by asking some professional help:flower:

I love the MAC counter.... just go and ask questions like SephoraSocialite said! They really are so helpful. Honestly, my stress load from school this year is off the richter scale so make-up for school isn't worth it. OT but how can a 12 year old have stress? wait until you have 6 essays due and a few tests all in one day and about 4 hours of sleep...

yes it's ok... 12 is not too young.
now you love make-up, soon you'll wear it less. it's normal
p.s and moms love you but they're terrible

You're lucky that you can wear make up. I'm almost 14 and I still can't wear much. I am only allowed to wear lip gloss (colored lip gloss or plain, either one), and glitter (which I haven't worn since like age 11 since it looks tacky). I can only wear mascara, shadow, and blush on special occassions... my mom is superly over protective and doesn't even let me straighten my hair! She does this mostly because she says make up will ruin my skin, etc. and all but it's still not fair... And once again I'm ranting. I have got to stop that!

stylexstar said:
You're lucky that you can wear make up. I'm almost 14 and I still can't wear much. I am only allowed to wear lip gloss (colored lip gloss or plain, either one), and glitter (which I haven't worn since like age 11 since it looks tacky). I can only wear mascara, shadow, and blush on special occassions... my mom is superly over protective and doesn't even let me straighten my hair! She does this mostly because she says make up will ruin my skin, etc. and all but it's still not fair... And once again I'm ranting. I have got to stop that!

I love your mom! She is so spot on. I know it may seem unfair right now, but trust me, you don't want to be one of "those" girls...if you know what I mean:wink:

Hipkitten said:
I love your mom! She is so spot on. I know it may seem unfair right now, but trust me, you don't want to be one of "those" girls...if you know what I mean:wink:

Haha... I love her too! It's very annoying though, because I can't even get my ears pierced until like next year! :rolleyes:

I know exactly what you mean! I knew "those" girls even in like 5th grade! :woot:

If modelling ever works out for me though, I guess my mom will have to get around the make up rule! :lol: ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe, I didn't even start wearing makeup until I was 16! :o :lol:

I would be inclined to say that at such a young age, not to put anything on your skin, like foundation. You don't want to risk clogging it up at such a young age.

As long as you go for the natural look and practice applying eyeshadows and a bit of blush, you'll look great :wink:

Wow.. reading this thread makes me WANT to try on makeup. I've been trying to steer away from the plain jane silverish or cream-coloured eyeshadow (light dusting) and go a little wild, but quite honestly I can't seem to muster up the time to do it any more.

Especially during the summer. It just melts off your face.

I'm actually having fun not wearing makeup, at all, learning to love my face the way it is, plain and simple. Although I wish those darn black bags under my eyes would disappear :(

I say have fun with makeup. Like everyone else, I envy your dewy skin, but makeup should be for FUN, not a requirement.. I think a lot of girls in University don't know how gorgeous they are with fresh clean faces, and it's kind of sad when they pile on the cakey makeup and dark liner for day time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaKel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->