Natural / Minimal Makeup

Reaction score
I've never been much of a make-up wearer and am admittedly a novice with most products/application techniques. My make-up routine basically consists of concealer on blemishes, a few products I've been playing with to cover dark circles under my eyes when I don't get enough sleep and sometimes lip gloss. That's pretty much it.

When I do wear more make-up, I usually have a make-up artist apply it for me. I love the way it looks, but struggle to duplicate the look on my own. So here's your chance to tutor a "make-up super novice"

What products should I be using daily to achieve a polished, but natural look? I have blonde hair and fair skin with occassional blemishes (I've had clear skin most of my life. Just my luck that I'd start to blemish in adulthood. grrrrrr.)

Anyway, what I'm looking for is something to even out my skin and some simple products/techniques that I can use to look more put together, but not like I'm trying too hard or wearing a pound of make-up everyday. Know what I mean?

Your guidance please...
Please be as specific as possible because I really am completely lost with this stuff.
What make-up should I be using every day? and How should I apply it?
Obviously, I should have a salesperson color match my skin for concealer or foundation, but if you're suggesting eye make-up or lip gloss what colors are best for blondes with fair skin?
What is bronzer all about? Should I be using it? etc...

You could try Traceless from Prescriptives. It is a sheer, light makeup and they will find an exact match for your skin color (apply it with a foundation brush or sponge). If you want something even easier, try a powder foundation like MAC Studio Fix (apply with a brush or provided sponge). Either of these will give you just a little more coverage for a polished, but not too makeup-y look. Keep using your under eye concealer-use it under the foundation.

If you want a bronzer (to warm up your skin for a bit of a glow) try MAC as well. These sales associate can tell you which shade to get-probably Golden.

As far as eyes go-if you want a more natural look you could try:

Clinique Naturally Glossy Mascara-jet brown or jet black. It will make your lashes just a bit longer and darker, but not too made up.
Mac shadows in Brule, Aria, Soba-they will look good with all eye colors and aren't too dark

A good gloss that works an many people is Oh Baby from Mac-a bronze color.
Also try a natural blush like the Sheertone blushes from Mac. I like Blushbaby b/c it is not too brown, not too pink.

I hope this helps-I do alot of makeovers for people who like a natural look and these are items I like.

Thanks maybe I'll check out the mac counter today B)

What are your thoughts on Boobi Brown products? I've been using their concealer and kind of like that its a stick and seems easy to blend.

Is there a place in the NYC area where I can go and learn how properly apply make-up and watch shades/products would work best for me. I'm not looking to become a make-up artist, but I would like to kno how to use products that would make me look my best. I mean, who doesn't want to put their best foot forward and if something simple like the right foundation or combonation of products will make me look better then bring on :flower:

MAC is good but I always find that the sales associates keep trying to push more products on me that I don't want by trying to make me think that I need them. You get that at practically every makeup counter though. The sales people for MAC are also into a more dramatic look which can be really intimidating for people who don't wear a lot of makeup. Clinique is also a good brand because a lot of their colours are sheer so they're pratically foolproof to apply. Tenderheart (glosswear) is a lipgloss that a lot of people with fair skin like. I use the black honey glosswear because I have darker skin, but they have lots of colours to choose from.

Anyway, here are the products I use when I want to look more polished:

Clinique City Stick foundation- I only use this on blemishes and dark circles, but you can use it all over your face by putting small amounts in the middle of your forehead, the bridge of the nose, undereyes/cheeks and chin, and then blend in with your fingers. You can get the liquid foundation too, but I prefer the stick format because I don't like makeup all over my face.

blusher/bronzer: I'm tanned naturally so I usually only use a bit of gel blusher in the winter when my skin starts to look pasty. The brand I use is by a Canadian makeup company but I'm sure someone else has some good suggestions for other brands. A highlighting powder is also nice to have if you're going out for the evening- it's one product that dresses up your whole look.

mascara- the one already mentioned is good for a natural look. I use MAC prolash which is a bit thicker than the clinique ones but still good. If you're blonde you might want a dark brown mascara because some find the black ones too dramatic.

lipgloss/lipstick- I think that a nice subtle lipcolour really polishes up a look more than most other products except for maybe masacara. :innocent: There are so many products out there that it's really a trial and error kind of thing.

eyeshadow- depends on how much attention you want to draw to your eyes. Pale colours are easier to apply and make your eyes look bigger than darker ones. I normally only wear this if I want to have a bit more fun with my makeup. Dark brown eyeshadow smudged along the lashline will give you a subtle smokey look without all the fuss of putting on eyeliner. Looks a lot more natural too. :wink:

Originally posted by Fashionably Lost@Dec 18th, 2003 - 11:10 am
What are your thoughts on Boobi Brown products? I've been using their concealer and kind of like that its a stick and seems easy to blend.

I love Bobbi Brown products-high quality and easy to apply. My favorites are her creamy concealer, gel eyeliner, shimmerbrick and shimmer wash shadows. That would be a great counter to schedule a makeover with-they are knowledgeable and could help you achieve the look you are going for adn teach you how to use the products. It is one of my favorite brands. Items I would suggest for you:

Shimmerbrick for a bronzer
shadows in Bone, Beige, Stone, Fawn
Sand Pink or Nectar blush
for lips I like Tube Tints, Shimmer Gloss Sticks and Lip Shines
the foundations are great-liquid or powder formula, depending on what you prefer

the only item I do not like is the mascara-it smears

What I'd do is go to acounter famous for natural looks (such as Bobbi for example) and ask them to teach me how to apply make up that is very natural. Explain them you want to keep the shadows down to one or two colors, maybe a liner and mascara.
Then blush/bronzer and lipstick.

If you give me some details about the shape of your eyes, face, etc. I could give you some ideas.

Sofia

yes bobbi brown is the best for natural shades. i use a nude shade on my eyelids, mascara, concealer, powder, and blush for a natural look.

Bobby Brown is a wonderful brand, they have a light every-day-use foundation if you're looking for liquid light coverage -- but if you're looking for something to apply quick, try chanel compact powder, or lancome compact powder, both give good coverage, matt, & fast - no clotting.

i like MAC's concealers, also try a very light peach color blusher to give your skin instant freshness, if you're fair you might want to get a very light shade of peach - you'll find those shades almost at every counter, but MAC's are a personal favorite.

what's the color of your eyes? -if you have dark eyes, try to stick to brownish mascaras, & if you have green/blue/grey eyes try lancome's mascaras -there's one in very dark marroon, bootyful :heart: it's also madonna's favorite, they really make the eyes stand out.

from what i understoon from you is that you're looking for makeup to wear everyday, there are really no rules or how-to's in makeup, but you've got to know that the most important part is your skin, if you're blessed with good skin then you might not have to wear makeup all over, just in some areas where you'd want to even out color -- or on blemishes wherever needed.

for everyday looks, I really don't like heavy makeups or foundations make my face look all builded up.

I have clear skin all the time, the only problem is dark circles.
so I use concealer for circles, color correcting makeup base, and powder to give me this natural and flawless look.
for now I'm using the Lancome Complete Coverage concealer, it's one ok liquid concealer, I'm still searching for a better one. as for the makeup base, I'm using the DiorSnow UV Base, it's tinted with SPF35, gives a lovely glow, but don't recommend it for oily skin. and then I use DiorSkin Compact on top. I have natural blush so I don't need extra.

as for eyes, I usually use MAC white frost (or other whitish/pealish eye shadow) alone or as a eye shadow base. using it alone makes my eyes look more brightened up and opened up, so little work but big difference. using it as a shadow base just simply makes the color of other shadows more showing.
and Loreal Line Intensifique for liner. I find it better than the Lancome Artliner, this is probably the only drugstore makeup I'm in love with.
also two coats of Lancome Definicils mascara.

and some lip gloss.

this is about my routine. :wink:

Originally posted by Boudoir Belle@Dec 26th, 2003 - 2:14 am
Bobby Brown is a wonderful brand, they have a light every-day-use foundation if you're looking for liquid light coverage -- but if you're looking for something to apply quick, try chanel compact powder, or lancome compact powder, both give good coverage, matt, & fast - no clotting.

I got the Chanel Double Perfection Compact, it looks way too powdery on me!
it's like the powder is just "standing" on my skin :(
make the skin look as if lacking life, and too covered up, even though I just had very little on :cry:

Hi All. Thanks for all of your responses.

I guess I should make a return trip to the bobbi brown counter and see what they suggest. Just want to go back with a general idea of what products I need. When you aren't a makeup person, the make-up counter can be a little intimidating (not that the counter people scare me lol I just always end up buying whatever they suggest and I am sure they often suggest expensive products that I dont really need to pad their sale.)

To answer some of your questions....
Part of the reason why I'm so "make-up stupid" is because I used to have very clear skin. I never needed make-up to cover blemishes and with the exception of the occassional lip gloss thought I looked better without makeup. Well...times have changed. I don't have acne, but have started to blemish regularly and it is DRIVING ME NUTS!!!! Since I am fair skinned even one or two blemished stand out like you wouldn't believe! Imagine a fire engine red dot on opaque white surface...that's how I feel like it looks.

Anyway, it isn't doing much for the ole self esteem (who knew I was so vain lol) and has made me start investigating my make-up options. I figured if I'm going to be applying something every morning, I might as well go an extra step or two to get a really polished, but natural look.

So the concensus is:
Bobbi brown foundation/concealer
lip gloss (through trial and error)
Mascara (probably brown?)
and bronzer?

OK question....is bronzer different from blush?
On my last trip to the make-up counter they sold me a bobbi brown blush that I haven't really been using. Should I buy the bobbi brown bronzing powder? Is that the kind of thing I should be using everyday?

For the foundation go to the Laura Mercier counter and ask them to show you the oil-free foundation, which can be applied to give more or less coverage. Just whatever you want. And also for her secret camouflage (it's a cakey concealer speacially made for blemishes and to cover other imperfections) and the secret concealer for under your eyes (or Bobbi Brown concealer kit if you have dark circles. Their light bisque and bisque colors do miracles for that problem).

For a mascara, go to Lancome. Definicils is a must amongst pro's and Flextencils is a super mascara which makes lashes longer and curls them at the same time. Also get a lash curler, from Shu Uemura because curling your lashes opens your eyes immediately. And comb your brows and lashes with a little Tweezerman comb. Brown is indeed a more natural color, but black will give depth to your eyes, and navy blue usually gives eye a very beautiful hue and don't worry, it won't look BLUE on the lashes... That's why the mascara would have to be NAVY blue.

If you want to use eyeshadows, go to Bobbi and ask them for a very natural color. Sometimes even just a tiny bit of a champagne color shadow with a bit of shimmer, will give you an 'awake' and fresh look. If you want to combine, ask for one shimmery base color (a champagne) and from them taupe is a very light color, easy to use. Or a duo from Nars such as Bellisima.

Finally, you need a blush, since your skin is fair, you need a peachy color. Nars in Deep Throat (lightest), Orgasm (light) or Torrid (darkest) are in this shades, but Torrid has a bit more pink in it.
And if you want a bronzer, get a Terracota from Guerlain. Those are the best.

HTH,

Sofia

Definetely invest in a good mascara! :wink:

I would suggest Clinque's Naturally Glossy Lashes for a natural look, and DiorShow if you like your lashes to be out there :smile:

Hi!

I can manage my makeup quite well when going out, or let´s say using foundation-concealer-powder-mascara.

But sometimes I´m lost when I need to use only a bit.
I am lost without powder to lock my concealer, but sometimes it looks and feels wrong.Maybe I don´t know how to use it when a small amount is needed. I adore the shiny look, but my concealer and foundation seem to slide without any powder.:cry:

Can you give me your tips for minimal makeup? I mean the minimum possible for a 30 something. I want to look groomed but like I don´t have makeup on.

I could´t find a thread on this, but maybe there is. Feel free to merge.

Last edited by a moderator:
i love this look...
this is how me and all my friends wear makeup...
almost none to speak of...
just a little touch..
*and we are all thirty something as well...

i'll be back in a bit...
when i have more time..
but i don't think we have a thread like this already...:unsure:...

If your skin is really fair, like mine, the best solution for the foundation is to go to Prescriptives counter and have them mix the foundation for you according to your skin tone. I initially wanted to buy already existing foundation, but then after I tried everything out, it was either too yellow or too dark etc. For me Prescriptives is #1 with natural looking foundations (and I tried a lot of them). Bobby Brown foundations are also OK if you are looking for a cheaper alternative. If you really want to cover up breakouts, nothing natural works, the best solution for that is MAC studio fix. I use it only on days when I feel my face cannot be fixed :smile:

As for makeup, MAC people do tend to go for more dramatic looks, but I went there and asked for natural look and they did a great job. If the makeup artist is good, she/he will not push the look the doesn't fit you. Also, Bobby Brown counters do great natural looks.

I only use a little tinted moisturizer on my skin. It gived me a natural glow and can also be used to correct faceshapes. As you might know, the "perfect" faceshape is the oval. Tinted moisturizer can actually make your face look more oval. Okey, I know I'm a lousy drawer, but I've tried to illustrate where I apply the tinted moisturizer.

Oblong/long facehshape:

The brownish thing is supposed to be the mosturizer. I apply it on my forehead (along the hairline), on my chin and under my cheekbones. This makes my face look wider and shorter. (Remember to blend well!)

hode.jpg

Square faceshape:

The next drawing is supposed to illustrate a square faceshape, and again, the brownish things are the tinted moisturizer. Apply it along the jawline and on the sides of your forehead. This will make your faceshape look narrower and more rounded.

square.jpg

My moisturizer is from Cosmica, a Swedish brand. I don't think you can buy Cosmica anywhere outside Scandinavia, but I've read good reports on Clarins Hydra-Care Tinted Moisturizer. I also think cheaper brands like L'Oreal and Nivea sell tinted moisturizer.

Blush is important if you want your skin to look healthy and natural. I think your fair skin will look good if you apply a little pink blush on your cheekbones. I like Body Shops' blush sticks. Some prefer powder, but I think blush sticks stay on longer. Smile when you look in the mirror, and apply it on the highest place on your cheekbone. Gently rub it up along the cheekbone.

That was the skin.

To make your eyes stand out, all you need is a little mascara, and maybe a white eyeliner. I like L'Oreals Panoramic Curl mascara. It actually curls your eyelashes a little bit, and gives volume. A white eyeliner "opens" your eyes, I like the one from H&M.

When it comes to lips, I prefer lipstick. I usually apply a little red lipstick on my finger, and dot it on my lips for a natural effect.

Good luck :flower:

softgrey said:
i love this look...
this is how me and all my friends wear makeup...
almost none to speak of...
just a little touch..
*and we are all thirty something as well...

i'll be back in a bit...
when i have more time..
but i don't think we have a thread like this already...:unsure:...

Looking forwards to your advice, Softgrey. Your opinions are always spot on.

My main problem is undereye and blemish coverage, because I REALLY need it and I can´t do it in a subtle way.

Maybe I´m a little bit obsessed, but I think a grown up woman should minimize her bags and blemishes before she goes out.
And believe, without any makeup on, I can look tired at the best, or sick at the worst.

I need advice on how to use the minimum possible of makeup to look decent, even if I´m in jeans and t shirt.

Looking natural is all about the application. Personally, I apply a light mosturizer all over my face and then let it settle. This is very important, because if you don't let it soak in you can get a weird buildup.

Then, I take a light liquid foundation, and apply it with a sponge, starting towards the inside of my face and then blending out. A little highlighter stick blended on your browbones and cheekbones can also help to freshen you up.

Personally, I'm nopt a big fan of concealer. I have fair skin and freckles (I'm a redhead), so it tends to look unnatural. You really should try to hide the imperfections. You can't truly hide then, you should just try and bring the focus to other areas. This is what makes the look truly natural.

Then, I dust my face with a loose transulcent powder. Then you can just dust a natural lookign blush up from the apples of your cheeks up into your hairline.

How you do your eyeshadow is up to you, but I'd say avoid black eyeliner. It's very harsh.

Hope that helps! I'm a makeup addict, but no one ever believes that I wear all of the products that I do. I like to keep it nice and natural. :D

What I do when I go for the minimal makeup look (which is now everyday:(

Skin prepping: Concealer (Almay Skin Clearing Concealer in Medium) SAME color as skin first on imperfections, under eyes and around nose area. On top of it, I put oil free moisturizer (Chanel Hydramax Oil Free hydrating Gel) well blended to make concealer unoticeable.

Eyes: A very thin liquid black eyeliner (L'Oreal liquid eyeliner in black) stroke on top of eyelid (a bit thinner in the inner corner of eye and getting VERY slightly thicker toward the end and the line ends at the end of the eye, non extended). One coat of mascara (L'Oreal Voluminous mascara). Brows are groomed with two coats of clear brow gel (MAC Brow Set in Clear). One coat is to brush the hair up. One minute later, a second coat to brush them straight following the growing direction of brows and to set them in place.

Lips: One swipe of moisturizing lipstick (Clinique Different lipstick in Twinkle) in a shade that's slightly more rosy than my lips.

What I do to go fancy, but still within the minimal/natural makeup mood. A few of my options are to extend the black eyeliner a bit towards the end of the eye (a la Francoise Hardy) or to add a second coat of mascara or to add a very pale rose powder blush to my cheeks.

Voila....! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"