The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried spanx, HoneyBelle? I know some find them uncomfortable, but I don't think they are that bad, even all day. That could possibly help a bit.

ATM1985, I have an old pair industrial-type Spanx I used to wear with a strapless dress. I start to have a panic attack every time I think about wearing it, so I don't wear it any more. But I've heard the company makes some medium/light control pieces that are really good. Do you have a certain line that you like? (If that's not to personal of a question)

fashionista-ta, I don't mind wearing shirts untucked, the challenge is to make sure the tops fit perfectly, otherwise I look very boxy. I've tried on all of my tops, and they are either too big or just a smidge too small. Grrrrrr. Maybe I'll take the "too big" pile to the tailor, and see if they can alter them...

ATM1985, I have an old pair industrial-type Spanx I used to wear with a strapless dress. I start to have a panic attack every time I think about wearing it, so I don't wear it any more. But I've heard the company makes some medium/light control pieces that are really good. Do you have a certain line that you like? (If that's not to personal of a question)

fashionista-ta, I don't mind wearing shirts untucked, the challenge is to make sure the tops fit perfectly, otherwise I look very boxy. I've tried on all of my tops, and they are either too big or just a smidge too small. Grrrrrr. Maybe I'll take the "too big" pile to the tailor, and see if they can alter them...

I have one of those tanks - not sure of the name/line, but it's from Spanx and it's got about a medium control, I'd guess. I had worn some other control things before that were torture, but this really doesn't feel like it. It just gives a smooth line under tops and flattens my stomach a bit.

That sounds like a good idea ... maybe just the right belt would do the trick too.

I have seen shapewear that I should acquire but haven't yet ... it's a tank that swoops under your bra. I have one with a built-in bra (Spanx), and it has a couple issues ... one, it creeps up, and two, the bra really sucks compared to my real ones. So I really like the idea of one that lets me wear my own bra. Considering Spanx' reputation, I have found the stuff of theirs I've bought to be a bit amateur ... it doesn't work quite right.

Still waiting for my jacket to arrive but my brogues got here! Very nice purchase, they look great and of very good quality. Can't wait to wear them. They fit well and will definitely be a staple in spring and autumn. I'm not sure whether I'll always wear them with the purple shoelace so. It makes the shoes fun, but a more neutral lace could make it more of a classic. We'll see.

I also finally bought my pair of jeans in Munich. I actually bought the exact pair like I've been wearing for two years now. I always loved it. It's a pair of CLOSED pedal position denim and I didn't want to bother finding a perfect pair when I actually already had one (which is a bit worn now, though).

So here are the shoes, pic by net-a-porter.com:

Attachments

• esquivel.jpg
    esquivel.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 3
Well, I'm back in this thread after a little while of not posting and I think it's because I will be planning my autumn/winter wardrobe soon and that is the season that inspires me the most. I have a pretty decent A/W wardrobe already, so I'll just need a few new pieces to spice things up. I have in mind:

Marc by Marc Jacobs Petal To The Metal Natasha Bag in Black
Black Cashmere V-Neck or Scoop Neck Sweater
Black Ballet Flats
Black Wedge Boots (or round toe wedge heels)
Joie Louvre Silk Blouse in Navy
a black or red pea coat
& another pair of dark denim skinny jeans

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mint!

Wekk, I only just got them but I think they look great with my uniform in autumn / winter: a pair of dark skinny jeans that end at the ankle and a cashmere sweater (usually one in purple, royal blue or camel). I might try them with some of my dresses since the style / color goes well with my dresses. But I'm not sure it'll look flattering since I'm short legged.

I basically needed a pair of flat leather shoes for the more casual days. Which have become more since I have kids. And I still don't really like sneakers, so these are a great alternative for me.

Interesting to hear more about individual body shapes, too. As my style has altered over the past few years, it has been quite a learning curve readjusting to new shapes, and whether or not they work with my proportions. I am slightly high waisted (with long legs for my height/shortish torso), and even though I am very slim, I have encountered tons of issues with certain garments - especially high waisted stuff, like pencil skirts, which leave me next to no space above the waistband, so tucking shirts into them is a farce for me!

When people discuss basic shapes, they usually talk about it in a very basic way, which doesn't really allow for variations (ie, no two pear shapes are the same, etc). I would love to hear more discussion about this, but perhaps in another thread?

My own 'perfect wardrobe' has been coming along oh so slowly in recent months. My original good intentions to minimise spending and concentrate on quality sort of fell short on a few occasions, too.I have discovered the hard way that higher end items do not always equate with high quality or good fit, and some of my favourite pieces turned out to be high street, even though I have placed an almost permanent ban on anything polyester. I have become somewhat sickened by the very act of consumption, regardless the mindset, so I guess it's time for a break!

^ I have the opposite problem of you. Very long torso, and short legs. I actually don't mind it at all, except when I gain weight, because when it gets to my stomach tucking in shirts is difficult for me, too. The thing is, here in Canada, they make women's shirts so short it drives me really crazy. Like, the exact same style in a man's shirt will be sooooo much longer, so I'll sometimes buy that. It makes no sense to me; women's shirts always look like children's shirts to me. I also hate the style; long shirts that you can tuck in are so much classier than stupid shirts that show the sides of your waist.

RedandNavy, thanks so much for this; I think it will help me!

I use brogues with dresses and skirts :smile: I think it adds a really nice touch, especially to my a line skirts.

And my jacket arrived!! Lucky me!

It's as beautiful as I always imagined and it fits me very nicely. I can't believe how much look I've had with online shopping this season! I got nearly everything I wished for at the beginning of the season and only sent back one of total seven items. Nice :smile: The jacket is a dream and will hopefully live with me through many seasons!

Pics by stylebop.com

Attachments

• moschinocandc.jpg
    moschinocandc.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 4
  • moschinocandc2.jpg
    moschinocandc2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1
^ The jacket looks lovely RedandNavy. I really like the toggles and the fur trim - it looks nice and warm!

I'm kicking around the idea of adding one more item to my Spring/Summer (non-existent) list - black leather sandals. Specifically, flat sandals, as I have a bit of a gap in my wardrobe, I think. I tend to wear sandals with at least a kitten heel, but there have been times I wanted a flat sandal and I've found myself faced with either rubber thongs or the brown pair I have, but these are also more of a plain thong style, which seems more geared toward the beach to me. I did purchase last year a pair of flat sandals that have bronze, copper and pewter straps, but I'm wondering if I might get more life out of black.

These are the black sandals I'm considering:
184306_in_l.jpg

Credit: Net-a-porter

Thoughts? Should I stick with the metallic flat sandals that have a similar look? I don't believe they are leather, so there is the fact that they will wear out eventually, plus they might not go with everything I would want to wear, as the mixed metallics give off a bit of a bohemian vibe, which isn't exactly my style. On the other hand, I already have a pair of flat sandals, and could probably try to make them work. I really like the look of the black sandals, but I'm trying hard to resist the impulse buy.

I've also added a straw bag to my list, but I'm a bit skeptical I'll find what I'm looking for, as the only straw bags I ever seem to find are too big and tote-like.

^ I find metallics to be a nice neutral, but on the black--why not? :wink:

Try Kate Spade for straw bags of all sizes. I haven't looked in lately, but with resort, you might be able to find something now.

Congrats on the coat, RedandNavy :flower: I like how the waist is nipped in at the back, nice design.

Oh, this should have read "luck" not "look". For some reason I tend to make very strange mistakes on here, I guess I'm always way too excited :lol: But thank you for your nice words on the coat! I really like it, it seems to be designed for my body type.

ATM: I like the sandals you posted. However, personally I think metallic sandals can be more versatile and flattering. Depends on the rest of your style though and probably on your body, too. I think the nice thing with metallics is that they blend in more with your skin. I also have flat sandals on my (not yet existing) spring / summer list.

^ The jacket looks lovely RedandNavy. I really like the toggles and the fur trim - it looks nice and warm!

I'm kicking around the idea of adding one more item to my Spring/Summer (non-existent) list - black leather sandals. Specifically, flat sandals, as I have a bit of a gap in my wardrobe, I think. I tend to wear sandals with at least a kitten heel, but there have been times I wanted a flat sandal and I've found myself faced with either rubber thongs or the brown pair I have, but these are also more of a plain thong style, which seems more geared toward the beach to me. I did purchase last year a pair of flat sandals that have bronze, copper and pewter straps, but I'm wondering if I might get more life out of black.

Thoughts? Should I stick with the metallic flat sandals that have a similar look? I don't believe they are leather, so there is the fact that they will wear out eventually, plus they might not go with everything I would want to wear, as the mixed metallics give off a bit of a bohemian vibe, which isn't exactly my style. On the other hand, I already have a pair of flat sandals, and could probably try to make them work. I really like the look of the black sandals, but I'm trying hard to resist the impulse buy.

I've also added a straw bag to my list, but I'm a bit skeptical I'll find what I'm looking for, as the only straw bags I ever seem to find are too big and tote-like.

I think that black leather looks great on tanned skin! I'm really pale, however, and try to steer toward something like tan or metallic. But we're talking about Twilight-the-movie-style pale. :huh: I'm with Ta-Ta--go for it!

I think that black leather looks great on tanned skin! I'm really pale, however, and try to steer toward something like tan or metallic. But we're talking about Twilight-the-movie-style pale. :huh: I'm with Ta-Ta--go for it!

:unsure: Yeah, definitely not tanned at all either. I'm definitely skirting into Twilight pale! But, I like the contrasting look of black and pale skin. I think metallics tend to look better with a tan. I guess everyone has different thoughts on that!

And thanks for the Kate Spade suggestion, fashionista-ta. I hadn't thought of her line - I always think straight leather for her, I don't know why. I'd love to find something smaller and structured, like this (although not exactly like it - not a huge fan of the brown, just more the concept of it:(

images

Credit: chickendinnercandybar.blogspot.com

^ I've had a similar bag from Kate Spade, but without the taper. The top and handle were cream pigskin. I don't see straw on their website, but if you have a store near you, they should have a lookbook showing what's next. I also have a Valentino straw bag, and Gucci does some nice ones too. Also Michael by Michael Kors always has some straw--I have one now, and had one other one. The styles there are not as structured, but the size is right (I like a medium size bag).

Okay, I've started doing my spring/summer list.

Somehow way too many items have landed on it, so I will have to limit myself later. But generally I'll try to go on with my "1 item per month, 2 items during sale month policy". Concentrating on my "item of the month" has worked well for me. So sad a season doesn't have 20 months though... :lol:

General remark about the season: I'll try to go on with vibrant warm colors plus navy, camel, brown as neutrals. Somehow I feel I'll need a few print items this season though. I'm usually more of a solid girl but I love a bit of a print from time to time. It must be a fun yet rather repetitive print though. Somehow I feel attracted to print by DvF recently or even by Tory Burch. Oh, and I might be the only girl in the world but I loved Thakoon spring/summer. So the American designers will be in my focus this season.

So here is my list:

2 dresses: One wrap dress by DvF, I've been longing for one for two years now. It's time to focus on that. Plus one short sleeved dress that can be worn to the office and parties that aren't too formal.

1 Cardigan: I feel like I could need at least 5 but I'll try to find a great one that I wanna wear all season long.

1 pair of light wool trousers: I finally got my pair of denim, now I have to do the same with the wool trousers... :rolleyes: Lord, me and buying pants is a sad story.

1 casual jacket: My life has become more casual but I tend to wear old stuff during casual days. I want a casual jacket that makes me feel great on the playground. A nice denim jacket or wind breaker - depends on what makes me fall in love.

1 blouse: For work, still can be fun and colorful though.

1 polo shirt: for casual days, in a vibrant color.

1 short sleeved work top: In a more neutral hue for a change...

1 swimsuit/bikini: I have two in mind that I want. Let's see which one will make it.

And then there are the shoes...... I really do need more comfortable summer shoes. That's a much more difficult topic than winter shoes.

1 pair of perfect pumps: Still looking for the perfectly chic yet perfectly comfy pair. Seems to be hard to find for me.

1 pair of flat sandals: Don't have any.

1 pair of loafers: The most comfy shoe for me and I need to update my old ones sooner or later. Preferably in navy or brown or camel.

1 pair of metallic ballerinas: Need more shoes that go with everything...

Now I'm aware that's not realistic but money will make a limit to it anyway :lol: So I'm curious as to what I'll get.

I just bought to pair of shoes! One for everyday and one for a night out! I really like them!
07a7e2be58c5435333c271aa89b2da40.jpg

Alexander Wang & Isabel Marant

Further I'm still looking for:

1 pair of chic sneakers

1 black dress/tunic. Something that I can wear as a dress but also as a tunic

1 rose gold watch. Maybe the Marc Jacobs version

1 colorfull sweater. To bring color into my wardrobe

Severall basic tops and tees of a good quality. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swimflom
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->