The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed a LBD for everyday, and found a gorgeous one. I found another one the other day with a more casual and comfortable fit, and even though none of them were expensive in any way and I could use both of them, I've decided to return the first one. I'm trying to get better at prioritizing to be able to buy some pieces of real quality, so I'm quite happy with my decission and feel wiser already :D

However, now I've found a good and very cheap statement dress, which I also have on my list for new additions to my wardrobe. I would like to try it, but at the same time I could put the extra money into my savings for some of the more expensive stuff.

So, I decided to be good and not buy the statement dress. I'm pretty sure that the fit isn't for me anyway. Instead I lured my girlfriend into bying it :wink:

Am I the only one who is having a real hard time finding a dress with a nice print, that also emphasizes the waist? My look generally concists of basic items put together, but some days it is nice to have a statement dress that you can just wear with plain shoes and a leather jacket.

Here's the one I decided not to buy:

dariawingdress.jpg

Pic via miinto.dk

I also like this one

kjole-cat-peacoatprint1200kr-oxideretdk.jpg

Pic cia oxideret.dk

I like the colour and the print on both dresses a lot, but I don't like the fit at all. Do you know any brands that makes stuff like this? We have a danish designer called Stine Goya that makes beautiful things like this, but her things are also often very oversized and that is not my thing. I would prefer something in a colour that would fit well for both summer - worn with brown sandals, and for winther with black/grey accesories.

------

Actually I think I've been real good this month, so far. The only money I've spend was on a giftcertificat to H&M. I got a LBD and some underwear - both things I needed. The only things I've bought with my own money was a nightgown on sale.

Hi Betinapple!

I know the problem. I see a lot nice prints out there on dresses. But only about 5% of the cuts seem to be flattering - at least for me. What is it with all that oversized stuff? I know it can look cool on a tall and slim woman. But for a petite like me it's just totally wrong and unflattering. Oh, how I wish the oversizing trend would go away already...

I've been good this months, too, since I haven't bought anything. :P But I bought the jacket and brogues in the sales in December, so some waiting is the right thing to do now. Actually while I always love the colors and patterns of spring/summer, I haven't seen that much that I really really want so far. There are nice things to be sure. But most of them aren't among THE 4-5 pieces that I'd chose to upgrade my wardrobe. So I'll wait and see a bit longer what is coming in.

Oh, by the way, both the jacket and brogues have been admired already :blush: I love them and they are easy to combine with my things.

Hi Betinapple!

I know the problem. I see a lot nice prints out there on dresses. But only about 5% of the cuts seem to be flattering - at least for me. What is it with all that oversized stuff? I know it can look cool on a tall and slim woman. But for a petite like me it's just totally wrong and unflattering. Oh, how I wish the oversizing trend would go away already...

I've been good this months, too, since I haven't bought anything. :P But I bought the jacket and brogues in the sales in December, so some waiting is the right thing to do now. Actually while I always love the colors and patterns of spring/summer, I haven't seen that much that I really really want so far. There are nice things to be sure. But most of them aren't among THE 4-5 pieces that I'd chose to upgrade my wardrobe. So I'll wait and see a bit longer what is coming in.

Oh, by the way, both the jacket and brogues have been admired already :blush: I love them and they are easy to combine with my things.

I aggree. I'm petite and rather curvy and I look like a box in oversized dresses :ninja: I've found one with a more fitted cut, but I'm afraid that it would still make me look less good than I can. I really love the print though, and has been in love with the dress since it was a part of the spring collection a couple of years ago. Also think it would fit good for both SS and AW.

flowsdress.jpg

Pic via ekstrabladet.dk

Taking it easy really feels good, when you learn to remember that the money isn't going anywhere - and especially when you've just bought great pieces :smile:

Sold my Jeffrey Campbell Lita's today. The money are going right to my savings account. I'm hoping that I'll be able to invest in either a pair of acne pistols or a great bag withing the next couple of months.

^ I'm with you on the oversized cuts! I have more of a traditional hourglass figure, so drapey, oversized items make me look twice as large and rather box-like.

I got my Ferragamo pumps yesterday and they fit perfectly - the narrowness is great for my heel. They're a little tight across the toe box, but not uncomfortably so, and since they're leather, they will stretch out to a perfect fit. The color and shine is even more gorgeous in person! I hadn't planned on buying them, but they were a steal, so I'm glad I took a chance.

^ I'm with you on the oversized cuts! I have more of a traditional hourglass figure, so drapey, oversized items make me look twice as large and rather box-like.

I got my Ferragamo pumps yesterday and they fit perfectly - the narrowness is great for my heel. They're a little tight across the toe box, but not uncomfortably so, and since they're leather, they will stretch out to a perfect fit. The color and shine is even more gorgeous in person! I hadn't planned on buying them, but they were a steal, so I'm glad I took a chance.

That's the case for me to. Oversized dresses doesn't do anything good for women with hourglas figures.

Great with the pumps. They look so classic.

I aggree. I'm petite and rather curvy and I look like a box in oversized dresses :ninja: I've found one with a more fitted cut, but I'm afraid that it would still make me look less good than I can. I really love the print though, and has been in love with the dress since it was a part of the spring collection a couple of years ago. Also think it would fit good for both SS and AW.

Pic via ekstrabladet.dk

Taking it easy really feels good, when you learn to remember that the money isn't going anywhere - and especially when you've just bought great pieces :smile:

Sold my Jeffrey Campbell Lita's today. The money are going right to my savings account. I'm hoping that I'll be able to invest in either a pair of acne pistols or a great bag withing the next couple of months.

You could always add a belt or sash to emphasize your waist. This dress would also work over a long-sleeved or 3/4-sleeved knit for cooler weather (maybe just transitional for you since your winters are really cold).

You could always add a belt or sash to emphasize your waist. This dress would also work over a long-sleeved or 3/4-sleeved knit for cooler weather (maybe just transitional for you since your winters are really cold).

Thx for your input :flower: A belt would do a lot, but since there is a lot happening on the dress itself, I'm afraid it would mess it up a little.

For summer I would use it with cognac sandals, and I guess a matching belt would do. But how about winter? I probably wouldn't wear something underneath it, but maybe wear it with a leather jacket on top, which would also make the look seem more fitted.

I personally do use belts to emphasize the waist on dresses that are rather wide, but somehow it seems the look is never as good as a dress that actually has the right fit by itself. The belt version is for me a possibility to make a not-so-well-fitting piece look better, but I'd rather buy a perfect-fitting dress.

Fashionista: Thank you for your input regarding the denim jacket. I decided to leave it alone for the moment. I will wait a bit longer and reflect, that has always been a good strategy when I was unsure about something. :blush:

I personally do use belts to emphasize the waist on dresses that are rather wide, but somehow it seems the look is never as good as a dress that actually has the right fit by itself. The belt version is for me a possibility to make a not-so-well-fitting piece look better, but I'd rather buy a perfect-fitting dress.

Fashionista: Thank you for your input regarding the denim jacket. I decided to leave it alone for the moment. I will wait a bit longer and reflect, that has always been a good strategy when I was unsure about something. :blush:

I'm there with you hour-glass ladies. I try to use a belt, but it just results in a bunch of bunched-up fabric around my waist, wide or skinny belt nonetheless.

So I just try to buy stuff that is tailored with a princess-seam waist, as lord knows the oversized clothes just make me look, well, oversized!

My wishlist for spring / summer is shaping up :smile: Well, it's essentialy still the same but with two more pieces... :P

A pair of sunglasses
A straw hat

I should go for less than for more instead. But I like to have a bit of a longer list and only get the pieces where I really find a good one.

Mainly I think I've found the style I want to focus on for spring / summer. It's mainly... well, the usual suspects :P I felt attracted to some of this year's trend like neon and prints but I've decided to hold myself back. Maybe one piece with a print but that should be it. I'll still focus on solids, they've always been my favorites. So no big changes for me, I'll try to stay focused.

Well, I've gone through my closet, and tried on everything. I have a nice pile of shoes ready to go to the cobbler to get re-soled, and I will see the tailor next week regarding my shirts and pants.

My first goal is to wear as many cold weather things as I can in the next several weeks. Here in the Southeast, spring is here by the end of February (although it feels like it may be here sooner rather than later). I feel like trying them on in my closet is the first step, how they function in the real world is the next.

The next goal is to try to figure out how to wear my current dresses in a casual environment. I work from home, and I think my current wardrobe leans a touch too formal...I want to see if I can dress down my work appropriate dresses into something more in keeping with my current lifestyle. I have no idea where to begin, though :smile:

But more immediately, I will FINALLY fill out that handy little card that came with my eons ago first Net-A-Porter order. I know my bust/waist/hip measurements, but it will be handy to know my inseam, rise, shoulder to shoulder and arm lengths. I already know my magic length for dresses, so this new information will be extremely helpful for online shopping.

Also, I totally understand about the belt issue, ladies! Finding a belt of the exact perfect width/color/texture is like trying to find a four-leaf clover in the middle of Yankee Stadium during the World Series. It's just easier to find a dress that fits.

Woo! Found my straw bag! I happened to poke around on 6PM.com and Kate Spade had structured straw bags from last season on clearance. I'm still waiting to see it in person, but I think that's one thing down for Spring/Summer.

I also bought a bathing suit with a retro look. I have a (washable!) navy silk blouse that's slightly sheer on order as well, which if it works, will completely round out my list for Spring/Summer. I had only just started to think of things, but a lot of stores online are still clearing out last season's clearance, so it's great to find deals on stuff I'm looking for. If this blouse works out, I'm done already, unless there's one more piece I absolutely have to have. It feels so freeing!

Woo! Found my straw bag! I happened to poke around on 6PM.com and Kate Spade had structured straw bags from last season on clearance. I'm still waiting to see it in person, but I think that's one thing down for Spring/Summer.

I also bought a bathing suit with a retro look. I have a (washable!) navy silk blouse that's slightly sheer on order as well, which if it works, will completely round out my list for Spring/Summer. I had only just started to think of things, but a lot of stores online are still clearing out last season's clearance, so it's great to find deals on stuff I'm looking for. If this blouse works out, I'm done already, unless there's one more piece I absolutely have to have. It feels so freeing!

Wow - good for you! :flower: But aren't you going to have a hard time not shopping at all untill we hit the AW season?

Do you have a picture of the swimsuit? I prefer bikinis, but when I go to the lokal pool i like to wear a swimsuit since it is mpre practical.

Wow - good for you! :flower: But aren't you going to have a hard time not shopping at all untill we hit the AW season?

You know, I had this feeling last August, that I didn't have to shop all autumn / winter... Truth is: no way :D Therefore I try to stick with my budget / one piece per month rule.

But congrats, ATM, for finding your swimsuit. Any pictures? I'm on the lookout for a bikini / swimsuit right now, too.

You know, I had this feeling last August, that I didn't have to shop all autumn / winter... Truth is: no way :D Therefore I try to stick with my budget / one piece per month rule.

But congrats, ATM, for finding your swimsuit. Any pictures? I'm on the lookout for a bikini / swimsuit right now, too.

Even though it would be kind of a relief for me I would also find it so hard. I've tried to make a new rule for myself, that is more realistic than the 5 pieces. I've given each season (spring, summer, fall, winter) it's own 5 pieces. Economically I can not afford to buy 10 pieces for both SS and AW in a nice quality as well, but now I'll so how it goes and maybe use your "1 item pr. month" technique.

I've finally found some basic button down tops that fit me wonderfully. It's taken me practically months to find a white button down that wasn't either too starched or too slouchy. Of all places I found them at Old Navy! Not what I expected but it was nice to pick up some pieces for a good deal. I agree it's so hard not to buy, I feel like I've been buying something every time I go out. I'm going to take at least a month of 'fashion detox' and not buy anything. I think it's important to look at what you have and fall in love again with pieces you've been neglecting.

oldnavy.com

Great shirts Scarlett :flower:

I aggree, sometimes it's good to look at all the good things you already have. I did a post on best buys of 2011 on my blog, and it was a great way to see all the amazing things I've allready got in my wardrobe.

I think it will be fairly easy not to shop, since I'm working hard on saving up for some more expensive pieces. Plus, I do have one more slot left on my list, so if I do see something I absolutely have to have, I do have some flexibility. This may change if a hole opens up in my wardrobe, but I think that I'll be fine with what I have.

This is the bathing suit I got, only in saturated purple-grape color:

server

Credit: jcrew.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swimflom
Back