The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoes are so hard to gauge for me! I just never know if we'll be friends or not until after a trial run. Nikes and most dress shoes hurt my feet so much. I usually spend the most money on a pair of shoes. I shop in thrift stores and ebay for most of my stuff. The funny thing is I was not raised that way. I was spoiled rotten and my mom still thinks I'm a little kooky for thrifting. I think I live in my means.
I also love vintage for home! I can not wait to move out.
I love the challenge of making vintage look modern and the authenticity it can often provide. When the stores started doing faux Versace prints I thought it was interesting that a lot of the time I had come across better prints than what was on offer.
I also had no idea Geiger was so much!!!!!!! I come across it sometimes while thrifting.

barbaraaa I love that styling too! Especially the white blouse under the blazer (has anyone noticed how obsessed I am with these blouses? Yes? Oh, I though I was being so subtle :P) Also love the hair on the model :heart:

misstarshine Wow, congratulations on following this philosophy for such a long time, hats off to you! :flower: I hope I can say that I've succeeded in a few years time, too. I would love to know what your favourite brand for dresses is! They're what I wear basically every day, and I haven't found my perfect brand for them yet... By the way, I'm so jealous that you're able to thrift shop! Though I did notice something yesterday while I was on the bus... There was a small store next to my high school where they sell vintage clothing. Really tiny, but from what I could see from my window, it looked really promising (and probably overpriced). I'm thinking of going there sometime, but now I really have to save, save, save!

Thrifting is actually more fun now that I am no longer a student. Before I was just looking for the best deal I could find for $5. But now I am willing to pay more. A couple of months ago I got a gorgeous $500 skirt for $35. There is absolutely no way I would have bought that as a student. I am definately very picky now and I only have a couple of store I like to visit in Sydney.

@Barbaraa: I think the printed jacket would be a great statement piece where as a nude blazer and a pair of navy pants maybe would stay in your wardrobe for longer. I guess what will be best depends on what you have in your wardrobe allready.

@MissStarShine:
It sounds lovely. I look forward to the day where I am in your place. Sounds really impressing how your wardrobe got you through all those different fases. I do not strive for perfection either but I am with ta-ta and I have gotten a long way already. I love thrift shopping as well. I usually spend the biggest amount on shoes, bags and outer wear and buy my clothes either second hand or find the nice quality items at the high street stores or from the middle-priced brands. Works real good for me.

@Juliette: You need to find yourself a white blouse - to me it is also a wardrobe neccesity.

I feel like cleaning out my closet. Actually I do not have a lot of stuff that I don't like but I have a few items too big or in other ways not perfectly right and I think they are clouding my view of what really works. I am just having a hard time getting it done since I really want those other things to work. Like a blue midiskirt. It is simply too big.

Would you have the nerve to dye a leather jacket? I am on the lookout for one and really would just want my pink in black. Unfortunately I can not find it anywhere, but I have found another pink one and was thinking of dyeing it black myself.

I feel like cleaning out my closet. Actually I do not have a lot of stuff that I don't like but I have a few items too big or in other ways not perfectly right and I think they are clouding my view of what really works. I am just having a hard time getting it done since I really want those other things to work. Like a blue midiskirt. It is simply too big.

can the skirt perhaps be taken in?

re: dying leather, I once dyed some white leather boots black. it was very hard (ok... impossible :smile:) to get it even, and the colour turned out more charcoal than black. the result, a sort of painterly charcoal, was really nice, but not at all what I thought it was going to be (an opaque solid black).
I used leather-dye from a bottle with a little brush, maybe the results are different if you use a spraying can... I couldn't say, I don't have any experience with that. maybe it would have helped to put on a few more layers of dye, but I doubt I would ever have gotten that solid black I had envisioned. hope this helps!

can the skirt perhaps be taken in?

re: dying leather, I once dyed some white leather boots black. it was very hard (ok... impossible :smile:) to get it even, and the colour turned out more charcoal than black. the result, a sort of painterly charcoal, was really nice, but not at all what I thought it was going to be (an opaque solid black).
I used leather-dye from a bottle with a little brush, maybe the results are different if you use a spraying can... I couldn't say, I don't have any experience with that. maybe it would have helped to put on a few more layers of dye, but I doubt I would ever have gotten that solid black I had envisioned. hope this helps!

That might be a solution. I will look into it. It is pleated though and therefore I am not sure how easy it would be.

Thanks for the advice regarding the leather jacket. I think I'll pass then. I have found another model which I really like but it is quilted all over. I love quilt but I am not sure how well it is for the purpose. First of all I consider quilt a trend more than something "classic" although I think the MJ stam bag and the quilted chanel flats are classics, and second I am not sure wether it will be "too much" to wear with printed dresses and more detailed outfits. AT the same time most of my clothes are pretty basic so it might be cool with something with good details. And it would look great with striped blouses. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you have the nerve to dye a leather jacket? I am on the lookout for one and really would just want my pink in black. Unfortunately I can not find it anywhere, but I have found another pink one and was thinking of dyeing it black myself.

i'd have it professionally done ... but really i would just buy a black jacket :wink:

quilting is totally classic ... sounds good to me.

for me, whether a quilted jacket would be too much with prints and such would depend on how wide/big/small the 'diamonds' that the quilting makes are. it can be really classic, I think, but it depends more on the cut of the jacket than on the quilting. I'd see the quilting not so much as a pattern, but more as a texture, and combine it with other pieces on the basis of that, if that makes any sense.

Thx for your good advice.

@Ta-ta: I have looked into that but noone will do it. I was considering having my Stam bag dyed black but no one was interested in taking the task.

@Twistelette
: I think you are perfectly right. The quilting is quite small and the leather looks really good and soft. The neckline is round and the only details are zippers at the pockets and the sleeves. I really like it but I think I'll try to consider wether it is the right jacket untill payday (next thursday).

Tonight I sat down and made a list of that I think my ideal basic wardrobe would consist of. I wrote down 35 items (outerwear, shoes and bags included). It really helped me. Most of the stuff I already got or I have something similar to what I want. For instance I wrote down a classic, white blouse. I am thinking chiffon. I already have a cotton blouse with a Peter Pan collar and broderie anglaise detailing - that will be fine untill I find the perfect blouse and therefore I can be patient AND buy the stuff that I need NOW).

Most of the stuff that I need is for winter so I was right about having to focus on that instead of summer clothes even though the season is changing.

Betinapple, I would ponder over the leather jacket for a little longer, unless you absolutely need one right now/think that one might sell out, as you might come across another you won't be so hesitant over :smile:

As for me: I still need to clean my closet, but I already have an idea of pieces I'll alter a little and others that I will be getting rid of or just put aside for a while. I've also started a pinterest account to stay focused on what I want/need, even if those things are unattainable right now (e.g. a Burberry trench and a Mulberry bag), but it will hopefully help put things into perspective, test whether I really want them as time goes by, see if it's coherent, etc.

@Barbaraa: I am not in any kind of hurry but I have been wanting a black leather jacket for a long time. I just do not think I can make any decissions really before I have tried it on and untill now I have only been able to find it online. I just came across another jacket as well with a different cut. A bit Rick Owens like. It has been marked down with more than 60% so I would get a real nice quality for almost no money. Hesitance should usually not be taken as a sign of anything when it is me that you are refering to. I can NOT make a snap decission about anything - not even what kind of chocolate I want :lol: - but I AM thinking that the quilted one might be too much for a basic leather jacket. Thx for your advice - it really helped me :smile:

Sounds like great progress you are making. I think keeping pictures and lists helps a lot. I just looked through some old blogposts of mine and discovered that I have bought a lot of the things I dreamed about back then. Please share if you want - it would be interesting :smile:

Haha, I know what it's like not to be able to decide on something as simple as chocolate, I'm always afraid I might regret not buying the one I leave in the store :lol: and you're welcome :smile: Hope you find your perfect leather jacket.

I pretty much just started it, so there's not a lot going on, but I believe I'm going to use it to keep my purchases in check, too: http://pinterest.com/lennui/

Haha, I know what it's like not to be able to decide on something as simple as chocolate, I'm always afraid I might regret not buying the one I leave in the store :lol: and you're welcome :smile: Hope you find your perfect leather jacket.

I pretty much just started it, so there's not a lot going on, but I believe I'm going to use it to keep my purchases in check, too: http://pinterest.com/lennui/

I sometimes have to change my order when I dine out because I made the wrong decission :lol:

I think there was some truth to what you were saying though, because after writing my previous post i ordered the other leather jacket - the Rick Owens like one. I could not stand the thought of it getting sold right before my eyes. Looking forward to see how it fits.

I really love how easy you can get a view of both what you've already got and what you want, with pinterest. Beats my lists any day. I might have to try it.

BTW. cute look with the glasses and the red lipstick!

Wow, so much discussion on here recently!! Cool! :flower:

The only problem is that I can't read through everything I've missed :lol: :blush:

Bought a leather jacket, Betinapple? Cool... I have been thinking about making this one of my must-have items since I don't own any, but I decided to wait for another season. Too many items on my list already... Was there a pic that I missed? :blush: Btw, I've just been reading a guide book to Denmark, hopefully we'll go there again next year :blush:

Pinterest: I personally think it can really help to stay focused. I sometimes put a great item on my pinterest board and then I see it just doesn't fit in... So I throw it off my lists. I regularly work on my board and see what I still like and what was maybe more of a momentary passion.

Me: When I recently bought my work pants I tried on a gorgeous, gorgeous turquoise/teal short sleeved silk blouse. I decided not to buy it at that moment because of my shopping strategy but it doesn't leave my mind. Should I buy it in March (if it's still there)? Or should I first buy the denim jacket? Or... should I buy a sweater first? I'll probably need a sweater for spring and fall days, not too thick, and I've seen several lovely ones. Not sure where I should put my focus.

Redandnavy I would probably buy the teal blouse, but try it on first. I have had times where I kept thinking about an item only to go back and it was nothing near as good as I thought.
Although I put off buying a denim jacket for ages and when I finally bought one I wore it with everything for years. It was probably one of my best purchases :smile:

r&n, you've already found some good things, so I would focus there. i'm sure you have something to keep you from freezing :wink: really do like the denim jacket. maybe you can double up now & pick some slow months when you won't shop--or will buy small items like lingerie, hosiery, loungewear, etc.

@RedAndNavy: I aggree! So nice with all the activity. I haven't posted a picture of the jacket yet. Will do so when it arrive. Hopefully tuesday. I am already getting impatient.

Do you have enough blouses? Do you have any sweaters you can use untill you buy the one you are talking about? I really think you should buy a denim jacket since you can wear it with everything - you will not do that with a blouse. So I would either double or buy the jacket as your March item and buy the blouse for April if I still wanted it. It sounds really nice though.

Regarding pinterest: I will have to look into it! Sounds like a really great tool.

Just thought I would share the list of my ideal basic wardrobe, that I made yesterday. It really helped me focus. Do any of you have similar lists? If so, please share, I would be really interesting. Highlighted items is what I've already got. Some may need replacing.

Skirts:
- Pleated Midiskirt
- Black pencilskirt
- Black fullskirt
(the colour has faded and they therefore need to be freshened up with some textile colour)

Pants:
- Grey jeans.
- Black jeans
(the colour has faded and they therefore need to be freshened up with some textile colour)

Basic tops:
- Striped blouse.
- Black top
- White top
- Nude tanktop (long enough to wear as a slip)
- Black longsleeved blouse (long enough to wear as a dress as well

Blouses:

- Statement blouses
- Classic white shirt blouse.
- Black ladylike blouse

Dresses:
- Black bodycon dress.
- Black full skirted dress
- White summer dress

Knitwear:
- Black sweater
- Black cardigan
- Grey cardigan

- White sweater
- Breton sweater
- Long, grey cardigan

Jackets and blazers:

- Black blazer
- Bouclé jacket

- Black leather jacket

Outerwear:

- Practical wintercoat
- Black cape
- Trenchcoat

- White wintercoat

Shoes:
- Black ballet flats
- Black ancle boots
- Flat, brown sansals.
- Black pumps. Will need replacing if I come to the conclusion that I need them.
- Sneakers.

- Black high boots (riding boots look)

Bags:

- Black bag for everyday use.
- Black clutch

Making this list made me realize that I am really close to my "goal" and that I really need to focus on my winter wardrobe. Especially knitwear. I am thinking of making a pinterest board or a polyvore with this list to visualize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alantrabriggs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->