The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! After reading this thread for a while now I decided to join. Winter is coming here in Buenos Aires and I need to replace my sweaters and tops. Today I found a very chunky beautiful beige round neck sweater, but it's a little bit out of my budget, I'm thinking to get it anyways because it's a classic piece and the quality is very nice. Maybe I can get a 25% discount but it will be my only buy in a long time...
I don't know how to deal with that, I want to know how you mix the pieces and resist buying new stuff.

Personally, I think it's not so much about "resisting" buying new stuff, but having everything you want/need and, therefore, not feeling like going shopping. I'm more prone to go shopping if I feel I have nothing to wear... which more often that not is more because I'm unhappy with what I own rather than not owning anything :smile:

Hi! After reading this thread for a while now I decided to join. Winter is coming here in Buenos Aires and I need to replace my sweaters and tops. Today I found a very chunky beautiful beige round neck sweater, but it's a little bit out of my budget, I'm thinking to get it anyways because it's a classic piece and the quality is very nice. Maybe I can get a 25% discount but it will be my only buy in a long time...
I don't know how to deal with that, I want to know how you mix the pieces and resist buying new stuff.

welcome, carolina :flower:

i generally do stretch to buy the quality piece ... which then hopefully pays me back by being a real workhorse & lasting a long time.

not sure the reasons why your items need replacing, but i have a few tricks ... sometimes the tailor can fix the issue. a favorite sweater had a fraying cuff ... i had the tailor bind the cuffs with ribbon, & the sweater looks better than ever. also sometimes something that may not work on its own works as a layering piece.

i would focus on the important pieces you are buying rather than on the unimportant pieces you're not :flower: i do believe in buying the piece you really love when you see it--but i feel that way about something maybe twice a year. at the same time, if i see something good & just don't have the money to spend, i'm 100% sure it won't be the last great thing i ever see.

also, at a certain point i decide it's time to focus on the next season, eliminating everything from the old season from consideration.

it's really a matter of laser focus, separating the wheat from the chaff, the swans from the geese ... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tata that is this the thread in the a nutshell! "i'm 100% sure it won't be the last great thing i ever see." You have to know and feel that or you will never get anywhere!

^ agreed, aldn ... & also if i'm not buying, i'm probably also not shopping.

on a recent weekend i was in a browsing mood, & went to an antique mall & looked around ... something i find very soothing. i ended up spending $8 on a creamer that will be part of a christmas present for someone who collects them. let's just say i wouldn't have gotten out of barney's for $8 (though i certainly have gone many times without buying anything).

@Carolina: Welcome! I do not think you should buy your item if you have to life of oatmeal and pasta for next long time :wink: That said, if you can afford the sweater but it is more expensive than what you are used to I think you should consider wether it is the most important thing for you to get ATM. If it is I think it will be a good investment but not if you need other things more or equally as much.

What do you think of polyamide in knitwear? It is combined with lambswool (85% wool, 15& polyamide).

Speaking of fixing items - and as I remember fixing shoes being a subject a couple of days ago: are scuffs on patent shoes fixable? My patent oxfords have some pretty noticeable scuffs :(

Thaks for your answers! I think I'm going to buy the sweater, I only have 2 of them currently and I'm a bit tired of them. Also, last year I invested in very good outwear, so I don't need to buy that this winter. I have the money but I'm very used to think "why get this now full price when I can get it in sale?" and the result is that I end up with nothing in my hands.
I decided this year I'm going to invest in some key pieces that are missing or need to be replaced if I can: trenchcoat, tops, new blouses and jewellery.
Betinapple your idea of the list is awesome, I'm doing one right now to see what I need!

welcome, carolina!

and fashionista-ta, you really hit the nail on the head here: "i would focus on the important pieces you are buying rather than on the unimportant pieces you're not :flower:"
YES!!!

I've been sitting with veronique branquinho's issue of A Magazine and the catalogue from her show at the antwerp fashion museum - two of my most dear possesions. I thought to myself, if I could just have a wardrobe full of branquinho, I'd never have a problem dressing again...
and then I thought, but I'd want to keep that piece, oh and that piece, and that, and that... I guess I am not all that unhappy about the wardrobe I have after all :smile:

Betinapple, you've inspired me to make a list, too! :flower: Mine is really long though, and I realized I REALLY don't have anything to wear. I keep buying things that have nothing to go with them and then I end up with items that I love but no outfits! Here's the list, items in bold I already have, and the ones in italics need replacing.

Skirts:
- Pleated or full black skirt
- Coloured midi pleated skirt
- Black bandage skirt
- Floral skirt
- Black leather bodycon skirt

Pants:
- Boyfriend jeans
- Black skinny jeans
- Leopard print trousers
- Wet look/leather leggings/pants
- Long jean shorts
- Leopard print pants

Blouses and shirts:
- Black sheer blouse, longsleeve, with pockets
- White sheer blouse, longsleeve, with pockets
- Dusky pink ruffle sleeveless blouse
- White pussybow or ruffled blouse
- Light blue and white small striped oxford
- Denim fitted shirt with mother-of-pearl-looking buttons

Tops:
- White slouchy semi-sheer tee
- Charcoal grey tee
- Heather grey tee
- Black tee

Dresses:
- White summer dress
- Floral corset top, full skirt dress
- Chambray shirtdress
- Hot pink dress
- Black pleated back dress

Knitwear:
- Breton striped black & white sweater

Jackets and blazers:
- Nude boyfriend blazer a la Stella McCartney
- Black boyfriend blazer

Outerwear:
- Black coat with silver hardware
- Black studded leather jacket
- Trench coat

Shoes:
- Tory Burch flats
- Acne Pistol boots in black
- Alexander Wang Anouck boots
- Brown wedges
- Hunter Wellington boots
- Ash Jalouse booties in camel
- Silver oxfords/brogues
- Doc Martens in black floral
- Black patent brogues/oxfords

Bags:
- Straw beach bag
- Cork/straw/wood bag
- Colorful summer bag
- Rebecca Minkoff hot pink Mini Mac bag
- Orange bag

Accessories:
- Alexander McQueen Skull scarf
- YSL Arty ring
- Michael Kors silver watch
- Silver triangle necklace
- Ray Ban Clubmaster II sunglasses
- Neon and silver necklace

Makeup, perfume & beauty stuff:
- Chanel Chance
- MAC Candy Yum Yum
- China Glaze For Audrey

And some photos of things I like:

7e57281c7fe28f9a9e18ea40dd15a2b6.jpg
283116f3c0b1435d026193f70aa87dfe.jpg
934c2cf6693faa1ae9097c081bd317fe.jpg
1d08005aa8b9f02b25561f1960bdbf5d.jpg
5d029754bf9f20ee84fe84e27032d8fb.jpg
509efe364733e9cb6aa66fb16a6afcb5.jpg
1b9d734e96be67adc301de1804065128.jpg
d48e2dc05f95fd5ee2851490561cf3eb.jpg
edd6fe83e050bb32c98fde6378e5e779.jpg
7799bcf7333d50928771f7e5ba9337d2.jpg
7e9d49cfe8473217d671070dcf5c005a.jpg
def7e0d4be028dea9e84d14e2414a5e0.jpg
b30c204443e5bd4d78974b79ffa5fcd7.jpg
397fe511153478a4e59a06435d7fa770.jpg

shopbop.com, my-wardrobe.com, net-a-porter.com, modcloth.com, asos.com, fragrantica.com, cosstores.com

Sorry for the huge post and all the photos, I got kinda excited!

@Carolina: Sounds like a good plan especially since you've got your outerwear covered! And thx. a lot. Please share your list!

@Twistelette:
interesting thought! I get the same feeling whenever I hear about people who abide by the rule of getting rid of one piece whenever they buy one. I do not want to get rid of any of my clothes.

@Juliette: How nice! It is really inspiring to see someone else's list. I do not think you should be discouraged. I have done this for a couple of years now - although I still feel like an amateur sometimes compared to the real experienced ladies like Ta-ta. You are just getting started and being focused is a big part of the work. Also you included accesories and makeup. I didn't.

I really like how you have chosen colorful accesories. My first thought was that it would hard to combine the items (I am sort of afraid of colours :lol:) but since your colours go nicely together and most of the clothes is black and white I thin it will look great!

I bought this tee today, just a basic:

2cmt4lh.jpg

mango.com

And I made my list, sort of. I find it pretty extensive.

Tops, blouses and shirts:
- Black tee
- Dark gray tee
- White pussybow blouse
- Basic button-up
(needs replacement)
- Sheer, flowy button ups
- Red blouse
- Purple blouse
- Green blouse

Skirts:
- Straight black skirt
- A-line black skirt

- Red skirt

Pants:
- Skinny jeans, dark wash
- Black skinny jeans
- Black trousers
- Gray trousers
(light viscose, only fit for summer)
- Navy trousers

Dresses:
- Basic black dress
- Black shirt dress
- Red dress
- Wrap dress

Knitwear:
- Black sweater
- Red sweater

- Gray sweater
- White sweater
- Burgundy sweater

- Breton sweater
- Light knits

Jackets and blazers:
- Black blazer
- Colour blazers
(I have two: navy and dark red)
- Nude blazer

Outerwear:
- Basic winter coat
- Trench coat
(I have a short black one, not sure I find it ideal)

Shoes:
- Black flats
- Black ankle boots
- Black heels
- Graphite Hunter boots
- Black oxford flats
- Vans Era
(need replacement)

I made my list but it's VERY long. The conclusion is that I have to take some skirts to tailor, I have enough dresses and outwear.

I need:
mid/ high rise dark blue skinny jeans
colored skinny jeans (dark green or oxblood). I had a dusty pink pair but the seams ripped apart.
more tops, short and long sleeve (3- 5)
a white no sheer silk white shirt
maybe a frannel shirt, always good to layer in winter. or a printed one.
a light colored round neck chunky sweater
beige trench coat (have a red one, but I don't like it very much). Not urgent, It will be a nice purchase if I find the perfect one.
wool beanie
chain gold necklace

and only if I find one at a VERY good price, not urgent buy, a pair of black chelsea boots.

some of the items I may find them in outlet stores (the jeans and some tops). I don't pretend to spend a lot on the accesories. So the only big purchases will be the sweater and shirts.

I realised my problem is that I have lots of clothes, but I forget I have them and always wear the same stuff. This happens most in winter when I'm very lazy to choose what I'll wear. I promise to myself this winter I won't to this and try new combinations.

What do you think of polyamide in knitwear? It is combined with lambswool (85% wool, 15& polyamide).

i have at least a couple with it ... looked it up & it seems the source can vary, but it's probably nylon. believe it's there to give the fibers more strength, so it should wear better.

I made my list but it's VERY long. The conclusion is that I have to take some skirts to tailor, I have enough dresses and outwear.

Girl, look at mine. :D You should post it anyway!

Betinapple Thank you! I love accessorizing with colour! :flower:

Thaks for your answers! I think I'm going to buy the sweater, I only have 2 of them currently and I'm a bit tired of them. Also, last year I invested in very good outwear, so I don't need to buy that this winter. I have the money but I'm very used to think "why get this now full price when I can get it in sale?" and the result is that I end up with nothing in my hands.
I decided this year I'm going to invest in some key pieces that are missing or need to be replaced if I can: trenchcoat, tops, new blouses and jewellery.
Betinapple your idea of the list is awesome, I'm doing one right now to see what I need!

i typically snap up things that are really great at full price. if i get something on sale, i consider that a bonus. if you look in people's closets, often the things with tags still on were on sale. sale shopping is kinda like thrifting, requiring advanced skill & patience. in both cases, things are there because no one else wanted them. fall 2008 was a great time to shop on sale for anyone who felt like they could! i got some great shoes that i really needed 40% off.

jewelry i think is a great solution when you're feeling tired of things. you can wear a great new pair of earrings every day.

I posted this in the wrong thread originally. I meant to post this here.

I'd love to do this ***Edited*** and want to start building a wardrobe that is a lot more versatile than what I currently have, is of a much better quality, and is distinctly more me. Since I know it will be a while before I can even think about buying anything (currently unemployed ****
edited**** ), I have time to plan things out and really consider what things I both want and need. My only question for right now is what types of fabrics should I be looking for? I'd really love to invest in more quality pieces and as it currently stands, I don't really know what would really qualify as being a quality piece.

If someone doesn't mind explaining this a bit, I'd be eternally grateful for all the help! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seltzeess
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->