The Acne Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all of the suggestions regarding pimple prone skin _ however, I have a question? The other day a girl at Nordstrom tried to sell me the CLARO IPL Acne Device and I almost bought it. I only hesitated because it's expense. But, as I look at a large pimple on my chin I'm thinking of going back to get it. Anyone used it? The girl said IPL is what Dermatologists use. The only info I could find on the web is at their website at http://www.myclaro.com/

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks for all of the suggestions regarding pimple prone skin _ however, I have a question? The other day a girl at Nordstrom tried to sell me the CLARO IPL Acne Device and I almost bought it. I only hesitated because it's expense. But, as I look at a large pimple on my chin I'm thinking of going back to get it. Anyone used it? The girl said IPL is what Dermatologists use. The only info I could find on the web is at their website at http://www.myclaro.com/

Thanks,
Liz

ive never heard of this, but it uses the same principle as other devices on the market, the principle that heat/light sent deep into the tissues of ur skin and kills acne causing bacteria...
i imagine that this would work for ppl with acne that surfaces, but for cystic acne like mine i have my doubts.,...:shock:

^ I agree. I've never heard of that particular device. Perhaps it is the same modality/light as an IPL but nowhere near the strength, and therefore effectiveness, of an MD's office unit (in which, each treatment is hundreds of dollars).
Other devices, like the Tanda and the Baby Quasar, use "light" or infrared properties to increase circulation, collagen prod, reduce bacteria, reduce discoloration etcetc. The "red" light is supposed to be anti-aging in particular and the "blue" light is specific for acne.
Without knowing more about your skin or the devices...I wouldn't buy it.

I've always had my doubts about that kind of product,plus I'd be worried to use it on myself. That's the kind of procedure I'd trust someone else more to do.

My stupid chin *sigh* has gone all lumpy again with a slight swelling in my neck. It happened at the exact same time last year when it was super cold. I wish I lived in a warmer country ^_^

hi everyone :smile:

i have a question and maybe you can help me. do you think dry skin can actually cause blemishes? i've always struggled with blemishes on my face and back. since i went off birth control i also got blemishes on my chest. as in these really tiny ones, that look a bit like goosebumps. when the light comes from the side you also see small "lines" on my chest, and i know that the skin on my back is somewhat dry. i've been moisturizing it since yesterday and these little "goosebumps" seem to be turning more into blemishes that you can almost scratch away, if that makes any sense :blush:

so yeah, do you think blemishes can also be connected to dry skin?

^ I think in a most general sense, the answer is no.

There is a name for the bumps you are describing...of course, I can't think of it right now. It's common with dry skin and you are supposed to do gentle exfoliation (scrubs) followed by a lactic-acid type topical. That should help. Especially if they're the type, as you describe, you can scratch off. I wouldn't just moisturize without exfoliating

i have a question and maybe you can help me. do you think dry skin can actually cause blemishes? i've always struggled with blemishes on my face and back. since i went off birth control i also got blemishes on my chest. as in these really tiny ones, that look a bit like goosebumps. when the light comes from the side you also see small "lines" on my chest, and i know that the skin on my back is somewhat dry. i've been moisturizing it since yesterday and these little "goosebumps" seem to be turning more into blemishes that you can almost scratch away, if that makes any sense :blush:

in a word? YES!!!!

although i cant say ive had issues with my back and chest, i can say that dry skin definately affects my face in that i can i get acne flare ups. Example; a week ago i went to california on a road trip...on the way we had to pass all these mountains at high altitudes. really dry, cold air...and my face flared up with like 3 zits, 1 which was particularly gross....

if you think about it, its logical...dry skin produces more skin cells that flake off, more likely that not may cause congestion in pores, ultimately leading to acne causing bacteria...hence the breakouts.

Although i dont have acne on my back or chest, i do get something similar to you on my back from my dry skin, mainly patches of teensy goosebumps... its like a thick buildup of dry skin cells. i also had keratosis pilaris a little bit on my arms..but they are mostly gon thanks to a couple of products and methods that i swear by...

first, i make sure my skin (dry patchy areas) are damp/wet with water. I start by exfoliating the area with a scrub that is rich in oils...the body shop has some nice options, or you can make your own by mixing some coarse suger and olive oil together. I personally use Geovanni's hot chocolate suger scrub. I then follow it by washing with a rich moisturizing body wash. I use Eucerin calming body wash daily shower oil and ive noticed it does amazing things for my dry skin. you pat ur skin dry and and while still slightly damp apply a rich, moisturizing cream/lotion. Again, i personally preferr Eucerin calming cream or Eucerin Plus intensive repair lotion. I use the cream when i shower in the daytime and the lotion when i shower in the evening/before bed because the lotion is super thick and needs ALOT more time to sink in.Mind you, you do need to do this several days in a row before you see a huge improvement, but you can see immediate improvements the first day; at least i did:D

As far as ur skin changing since youve been off birth control, i think thats very normal; its one of several way the body reacts to the fluctuation of hormones in the body. It will in time normalize itsself. give it some time. I hope ive been helpfull to you!:flower:

Birthcontrol was the trick

I suffered from moderate acne from when I was around 15, my skin go worse when I hit 16; I got sooo depressed and started wearing heaps of makeup which only aggravated my skin even more.

However when I was 16 Istarted on birth control pills and it calmed down my acne. I did get the occasional pimple here and there, but the pills really controlled the breakouts. A few years ago I stopped on the pill and the acne didn't come back! Maybe I outgrew acne..

my dermatologist prescribed me EpiDuo gel and Doryx oral pills, along with Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer.

we'll see how it works :D

I am reading about Dermatology from a thick textbook (out of pure boredom I assure you), so I thought I'd give you some input...

No, dry skin doesn't cause acne. Acne has far more to do with hormones that encourage the production of sebum that hosts a bacteria called P. acne. This also explains why you might have developed an outbreak of acne on your back after you went off birth control.

Yes, the amount of skin cells you shed from your hair follicles may become sticky and plug up your hair follicles, which in turn provokes acne to form. BUT dry skin also does not have anything to do with the amount of skin cells you shed from within hair follicles.

It sounds like what you had on your back were microcomedones that eventually "inflamed" into whiteheads. I don't think you should pick at those whiteheads, it isn't very hygienic and it might just cause an infection. Instead you could rub some acne treatment onto your back, or just wait for your hair follicles to naturally unobstruct (yes, that happens!)

Regardless of acne, it is still important to moisturize even if you don't have dry skin! So do keep up your new moisturizing routine.

my dermatologist prescribed me EpiDuo gel and Doryx oral pills, along with Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer.

we'll see how it works :D

you must have absolutely FABULOUS rx insurance, epiduo and especially doryx ar SOOOO expensive :ninja: thats the one thing that holds me back from going to a derm for rx treatments of acne..my rx insurance is only "FABULOUS" (emphasis on quotations) when there are generics available.:(:doh::cry:

i have some enlarged pores, a fair amount of discoloration and some faint scars from past acne (i still dont have the best skin) and was wondering if microdermabrasion would help get rid of this? if not, what would?

i just did an at home micro dermabrasion and applied retinol cream and broke out tiny dots on my jaw.

it evolved into cysts and now scars and redness.

it effing suckssss.

I just ordered MD Forte Cleanser II 15% Glycolic

Wish me luck with this, it's one of the top cleansers reviewed on makeupalley.com
I'm hoping it'll fade my acne scars & even out my skin tone.

Fingers crossed :smile:

Today I ordered a Manuka Honey Acne Treatment kit. I have used honey before on wounds and scars with good results and started experimenting with it on my skin as well. I noticed the redness disappearing in a matter of 2 days and the parts of my skin without pimples looking nice and hydrated, so I decided to look further into the benefits of honey. I never knew its antibacterial effect actually makes it suited for acne treatment, oh if it weren't for google.... I'm quoting some information about Manuka honey (it's different from regular honey) and will post again about the effect of the products on my skin. :flower:

A researcher found that honey made from bees who feed from the flowers on the Manuka bush (also known as Tea Tree), native to New Zealand, has antibacterial properties greater than other honeys. In all honey, hydrogen peroxide is produced from an enzyme that bees add to the nectar which gives the antiseptic qualities. In manuka honey, and in jellybush which is similar but grows in Australia, there’s something else besides the hydrogen peroxide.

Since they cannot pinpoint exactly what the special ingredient is they call it the unique manuka factor (UMF). They use the UMF as a standard to grade honey on its anti-bacterial strength. Not all manuka honey is the same and not all will have this special property. A honey is only allowed to list UMF as an ingredient if it has a UMF of 10 or above.

The researcher that identified the unique manuka factor, compares it with a regular antiseptic like phenol to measure it’s antibacterial efficiency.

Manuka honey works on all sorts of bacteria and fungi, which makes it useful for treating the bacteria involved in acne prone skin. Some bacteria become resistant to antibiotics that are used to cure acne but Manuka honey for acne can tackle antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria.

Manuka honey has all of the antibacterial properties of other honey types, but some types of manuka honey have been found to have an even more beneficial antibacterial effect on the skin. Active manuka honey is not only effective at killing the excess bacteria that causes acne, it also has antioxidant properties that can keep the skin healthier and prevent wrinkles.

These effects make manuka honey products perfect for both adolescent acne and adult acne that can occur at the same time as wrinkles. The honey also makes the skin feel smoother and softer. This is a welcome benefit for those who have used traditional acne treatments that dry the skin. A honey treatment works very differently from those treatments and will not dry the skin and leave it peeling or flaky.

Anyone who has tries harsh acne treatment products knows the many side effects they can cause. A honey facial mask that contains manuka honey will be just as effective, if not more effective. The difference between them, however, is that manuka honey is a natural, botanical cure that doesn't cause dryness. Instead of harsh chemicals to dry the skin, it uses the natural antibacterial properties of manuka honey to kill the offending bacteria and clear the skin of blemishes.

http://www.manukahoney.com/resources/umf.html
http://ezinearticles.com/?Does-Manuka-Honey-Prevent-Acne?&id=1398258

^^When I went back to NZ, I was surprised at how much the price of Manuka Honey had risen... It used to be so cheap. I hope the Manuka Honey treatment works out for you!

i have some enlarged pores, a fair amount of discoloration and some faint scars from past acne (i still dont have the best skin) and was wondering if microdermabrasion would help get rid of this? if not, what would?

Peels. Glycolic, lactic, malic, salicylic. Peels all the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->