The Business of Magazines #4

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by tFS Thread Manager, Sep 14, 2017.

1. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

Been out of this thread for quite some time but really surprised to see Lucy is leaving Porter!

There have been some great issues under her but looking forward to seeing what’s next. As a magazine concept, it’s my favourite in the UK market. I like what it stands for and the topics it chooses to give print space to.

Benn98 and axiomatic like this.
  2. axiomatic

axiomatic Active Member

Lucy Yeomans Exits Porter

MagFan and Benn98 like this.
  3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

When did this happen??

EDIT: I see Business of Fashion got the exclusive, but I can't view as I don't subscribe to that site. Quite shocking actually. Although I initially thought she would leave with Natalie to be honest.

4. honeycombchild

I presumed I was incredibly behind and it would be in this thread already! She announced it on Instagram this morning from what I can see. February’s issue is her last, the five year anniversary.

Benn98 likes this.
  5. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

This is somewhat concerning because not only was Lucy the launching editor of Porter and the idea was all hers, meaning it will be very hard to envision the magazine without her, she also recently consolidated Porter and The Edit's teams together. That's a lot of responsibility coupled with risk for someone new to take over. I reckon it would be better to split the teams again because The Edit is doing perfectly fine on their own. Either way, NAP should be very concerned. I imagine they already have a replacement if next month is her final issue? This is all so sudden.

But what's the 'exciting next venture', I wonder?? I'm guessing maybe she'll launch her own magazine.

Wishful thinking would be for her to be installed at American Vogue. She's one of the very few editors who are qualified for that job.

6. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

This is so sad. I hope she still in publishing and go to brands like others

7. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Launching an all-new print publication would seem like madness in the current climate - although I'd give a lot to see her as the editor of a fashion title where she can set her own agenda.

vogue28 and MagFan like this.
  8. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

I believe you all have heard of that massive lay off of journalists from certain digital publications in the US? See, even digital can’t really thrive in today’s Google and Facebook-driven advertising climate. Going online would not mean anything if the large percentage of your advertisers have chosen to do more campaign placements with the aforementioned tech behemoths. Coupled with the fact that the open exchange platform is also highly considered by brands from every category because it allows them to reach more with measurable results. Hence Conde Nast’s, and many other publications’, decision to apply paywall instead of doing open exchange. Because once you go open exchange, the ads that would appear on your sites are controlled by the aggregator, which means a brand as tacky as say, Tresemme could come up on high fashion sites like Vogue. Until these publications find a way to partner with google and facebook, they’ll continue to sink and the downward spiral will definitely affect the printed version.

9. honeycombchild

My guess is Jennifer Will take over Porter as well The Edit? Wasn’t she acting editor for Harper’s once Lucy left there also?

10. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

i'm shocked about this....im very curious how the magazine is going to continue....

11. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

Sarah Bailey is the acting editor in chief.

I wish it was Jennifer but once again, she lost the job. Maybe she will follow Lucy again.

12. Hafyiez wafa

Hafyiez wafa Active Member

Vogue Greece Logo

13. Hafyiez wafa

Hafyiez wafa Active Member

8 weeks more...

14. tigerrouge

So this will be branded 'Vogue Greece' this time to set it apart from the earlier incarnation of 'Vogue Hellas'?

15. MON

MON Well-Known Member

the Vogue Greece logo looks beautiful! Looks like a classic Vogue Franchise! I like it. So nostalgic.

Vogue Hong Kong’s logo was a choice! Who in their right mind would use such a thin font coupled with that minute size?? That will get LOST in the background! Choices people. Choices. Erroneous branding at its best. Good luck.

Imagine if it used a Condensed Serif font like Vogue Italia? The missed opportunity.

16. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

Such sad news about Lucy leaving Porter, by far of the best publications in the world.

Hopefully she has a big job lined up, god knows how many magazines out there desperately need someone like her in charge...

Handbag Queen likes this.
  17. axiomatic

axiomatic Active Member

YNAP Remains Committed to Porter as Richemont Picks Over the Numbers

18. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

Is this a new title froml Condé Nast? Because is available for purchase in their London official store.

19. tigerrouge

On newsstand.co.uk, this is down as Issue 18 of SALT, which seems to have something to do with Swarovski Elements.

20. russianelf

russianelf Active Member

^ This magazine has been going for years already. It's made by Swarowski, so mainly about the crystals with an editorial in every issue.