The Curvy Thread

yea... cupkate... i have the same problem.. i have little muscle but mostly fat in my calf areas...and i can't buy ne boots becuase i can't zip them up!

cupkate said:
do any of you have problems with boots fitting your calves? years of soccer and tennis made my legs extra muscular. i just got a new pair of boots and they won't zip all the way. hopefully since i'm losing weight i'll lose some in my legs, but i really don't feel like i have much fat there.

YES! Years and years of horseback riding did me in. :lol: I'm pretty much at my ideal weight now, and my calves aren't shrinking at all, so I just have to religiously try every boot that I buy, and hope that something will work. My best suggestion is to try wearing nylon socks under your boots There's a brand called "Sox-Trot" that runs about $10 (really outrageous patterns, too!), and they're made for wearing under riding boots. They might help streamline everything a bit. They work nicely for me. I know marystack.com carries them...just do a search for "socks".

^thanks for the info!

my brothers wife is the same way. she's tiny but her legs are super built (she does eventing and dressage)

Years and years of dancing for me and my calves :wink:
Just go to a shoe repair place and they can usually stitch in a piece of elastic to make the top part of the boot wider.

justlucky said:
YES! Years and years of horseback riding did me in. :lol: I'm pretty much at my ideal weight now, and my calves aren't shrinking at all, so I just have to religiously try every boot that I buy, and hope that something will work. My best suggestion is to try wearing nylon socks under your boots There's a brand called "Sox-Trot" that runs about $10 (really outrageous patterns, too!), and they're made for wearing under riding boots. They might help streamline everything a bit. They work nicely for me. I know marystack.com carries them...just do a search for "socks".

Sugo said:
Years and years of dancing for me and my calves :wink:
Just go to a shoe repair place and they can usually stitch in a piece of elastic to make the top part of the boot wider.

Holy SH*T, you are genius! :woot: Thanks for the tip.

cupkate said:
do any of you have problems with boots fitting your calves? years of soccer and tennis made my legs extra muscular. i just got a new pair of boots and they won't zip all the way. hopefully since i'm losing weight i'll lose some in my legs, but i really don't feel like i have much fat there.

Me. I'm prone to muscular legs (not just fat) and having played handball didn't help much, same with karate and pretty much any other sport I tried... they just keep getting wider (not just due to weight gain).

Nowadays no kind of zip up boots fit me...

But thanks a ton for the tip with the elastic sewn in!

AND I bought a cheap, really pretty blue light knit jacket to wrap around (H&M)... I think it really flatters me (with a plain white tank top) and I'm really into "dancer inspired clothes" :woot:

Oh, and I find pretty scarves (even or especially broad, thick ones, knit maybe or with a nice pattern) a really great accessory, not just for us curvies :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding to brands that work well ... Marc Jacobs and Marc by Marc. I posted elsewhere about a couple quality issues with my new Marc Jacobs jacket. However, a guy I talked to at the LA store once told me the clothes were generous "up top" and that he has other curvy clients, and this is quite true. I was actually quite amused, in the pic of my jacket on saks.com, the jacket is all buttoned up and just hangs on the model & looks quite bad if you ask me--she looks like a scarecrow in it. Looks much better with an actual body underneath, I'm thinking :wink:

There was another thread about clothes looking better on you when you're smaller, and I was reminded of this time I went shopping with my sister. She was previously bigger than me, then lost a significant amount of weight so that we now wore the same size. We'd gone shopping and she'd bought a couple dresses, and I asked if I could try one of them on when we got home--I was just curious, I hardly ever wear dresses. (Scaasi, btw.) When I did, I looked much better in it than she did because I had curves. Boy, was she mad :lol: Some designers *do* make their clothes to flatter a woman's body. I haven't worn him lately, but I've previously been really impressed with Michael Kors' fit. Last I knew anyway, he uses three different true-to-life fit models, and drapes in the actual target fabric, no matter how expensive it is. All that work really shows when you put it on.

lol.. thats nice..but.. i can't afford marc jacobs or even afford nething from saks.. lol... i'm 18..n the only thing i can afford is... triple five soul!... living in canada sux.. cuz everything is so much more expensive..n u have to pay 15% tax... so it makes it all th e worse... wen i go on bebe website... a jacket may cost like... 55...but...here...in toronto.. it costs like.. 100.

anhphan said:
lol.. thats nice..but.. i can't afford marc jacobs or even afford nething from saks.. lol... i'm 18..n the only thing i can afford is... triple five soul!... living in canada sux.. cuz everything is so much more expensive..n u have to pay 15% tax... so it makes it all th e worse... wen i go on bebe website... a jacket may cost like... 55...but...here...in toronto.. it costs like.. 100.

eBay B)

fashionista-ta said:
I don't think they are meant to represent curvy per se ... simply styles that work for curvy figures, which of course vary a lot. Feel free to post your own pics :flower:

Yes, thank you Fashionistata, absolutely. I just posted them as ideas of styles which may work for curvier figures......fitted waist, wrap-tops, fit-and-flare-silhouettes, etc...well, specifically those which work for me ...and yes everybody, please feel free to post pics! :flower:

I *totally* agree that some clothes like Marc Jacobs simply look better when filled out topographically, so to speak...when I lost weight a lot of my clothes (yes, like my MJ jacket!) looked a bit "disappointed" on me...:lol: Impressive about Kors!

I love everyone's ideas!! I cant wait to try some of them. ^_^

I found an article that I thought might be appropriate here :flower: (news.com.au)

Return of the curve

August 19, 2005

CURVES are back in vogue.

Today's generation of young Australian women appear to have a healthier body image than those a decade ago, a survey suggests.

Newspoll studied more than 500 women aged 18-35 across Australia, finding 89 per cent liked their body "a little" or "a lot".

Asked to pick the perfect female body, most chose the fuller figures of Catherine Zeta-Jones and Beyonce Knowles. Victoria Beckham came last.

"It seems that the young women are rejecting the stick insect kind of really thin ideal," Sydney University lecturer and study founder Jenny O'Dea said.

"I think that's an interesting, positive trend."

The women clearly rejected the dangerously underweight Beckham, a former Spice Girl.

"It does suggest Australian women's body ideal may be approaching what would be considered to be a more healthy, normal, curvy weight which is great news," Dr O'Dea said .

Just a decade ago Dr O'Dea, a nutritionist, found eight out of 10 young women wanted to be slimmer.

"The most concerning finding back then was that 42 per cent of the already clinically underweight young women wanted to lose more weight," she said.

"That was a shocking study. This new research does suggest that a more natural, realistic figure may be more desired by both women and men." Dr O'Dea said studies she had done on men over 15 years had consistently found most chose a larger body as the ideal for women

^I'm very glad to hear it! I think that ppl are learning to be more satisfied with their bodies and that is (IMO) how it's supposed to be.

I've definitely had good luck with Marc Jacobs. I'm definitely thicker in the hip than in my waist, and his pants have really fit me well. No gapping in the back like with most everything else.

Interesting article Duleeshab, I think men have always liked some meat on the bones. I read somewhere that for women, being thin has more to do with how they look in clothes than how they look naked!

cupkate said:

J Crew has boots in extended calf sizes.

Recently I got a couple of button-down shirts from Banana Republic that are very flattering - I got many compliments on the fit.

I've heard Club Monaco pants are good but have never tried them.

Gincat said:
Interesting article Duleeshab, I think men have always liked some meat on the bones. I read somewhere that for women, being thin has more to do with how they look in clothes than how they look naked!

It's definitely all about the clothes.

When I was a size 6/8 I never had to worry about clothes. I liked how I looked in everything and I could buy supercheap jeans, supercheap shirts, anything for $10-50!

Suddenly when I gained a bit of weight (10-15 pounds) and I was a size 8/10 EVERYTHING changed. Clothes that were sexy or flattering or even just NICE were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to find. The super-long shirt trend has kind of helped that but seriously, it's so hard. I have to spend a LOT of money now to buy jeans that might look okay.

The REAL reason that I want to lose weight is to look better in clothes.

If someone who is only size 8/10 finds it really hard to find cool clothes THERE IS SOMETHING VERY, VERY WRONG.

I hate it!

oolie coco said:
It's definitely all about the clothes.

When I was a size 6/8 I never had to worry about clothes. I liked how I looked in everything and I could buy supercheap jeans, supercheap shirts, anything for $10-50!

Suddenly when I gained a bit of weight (10-15 pounds) and I was a size 8/10 EVERYTHING changed. Clothes that were sexy or flattering or even just NICE were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to find. The super-long shirt trend has kind of helped that but seriously, it's so hard. I have to spend a LOT of money now to buy jeans that might look okay.

The REAL reason that I want to lose weight is to look better in clothes.

If someone who is only size 8/10 finds it really hard to find cool clothes THERE IS SOMETHING VERY, VERY WRONG.

I hate it!

I agree--this is not a bizarre size--it's average or a bit less. I have honestly always had a relatively hard time finding clothes, though, not so much because of size, but because so many are just bland, boring, same old same old. (Although when I was a 2/4, the smallest size often wasn't small enough.) I want clothes that are interesting, not just a fig leaf equivalent. And of course matters are further complicated when you grow up and are no longer shaped like a human clothes hanger. The other thing I've noticed ... no matter what size I am, that size is very often sold out. We should have a new Murphy's law for this :unsure:

Thank God for Lycra, though ... that's something that wasn't in circulation when I started buying clothes, and it's a wonderful thing for curves.

cupkate said:

Yes...I have this too.And my calves are pure muscle...I cycle and run a lot.I like the shape of my calves;I don't want goats's shins,but it seems that boot manufacturers don't agree!!!

Are you talking about your Chloe boots cupkate?I have ordered the two-tone ones in a full size up in order to try and avoid this problem...hope the foot isn't too big now!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->