The Film Lovers Thread!

This is such a good idea for a thread... I'm surprised there wasn't one until now....

I love good films and a lot of people who share the same taste in film as me always talk about how good the Royal Tenenbaums is..
But I feel like that movie went over my head. :shock:
To those who enjoyed it - which aspect of it made you like it, etc.?

^ I didn't think it was fantastic, it was okay to me, meaning that it didn't left much of an impact in me and I actually don't remember it very well.

The best thing about that film was to me the images. The image with Luke Wilson's character trying to commit suicide has just burned itself into my head.

I'm subscribing to this thread....back later...I think we've been doing something kind of like this on the "What was the last movie you saw?" thread...:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
twilight fairy said:
I love good films and a lot of people who share the same taste in film as me always talk about how good the Royal Tenenbaums is..
But I feel like that movie went over my head. :shock:
To those who enjoyed it - which aspect of it made you like it, etc.?

Having seen Rushmore, for me, there were these Wes Anderson characteristics that really worked for me. That nostalgic/vintage/retro placement of the film means you're not sure what decade this is. Sign-posting the film with overtly obvious labels and descriptions. For example the introductions of characters. There was an endearing naivete that I loved.

Secondly, the character development was very fulfilling to watch. Each character had their own set of quirks that made them really likeable. It was an excellent ensemble film making each actor's performance very memorable. It wasn't a laugh out loud kind of film but you definitely were amused by this family of caricatures. That's what they were - exxagerrated personalities. Yet at the same time, the dialogue was also very staccato and full of tension that made it more real.

The music was also very well chosen - reaffirming that nostalgic/retro feel of the movie. I think I was attracted to its aesthetic aspects but by far, it was the character quirks that drew me in.

there is an Idian movie
called
kal ho naa ho
it's the BEST MOVIE I EVER SAW
the film sittings were in NEW YORK and i wont tell u more about it
go and WATCH IT u'll NEVER lose anythin
i d0nt mind watchinG it EVERYDAY...
WAtched it ZIllion TimeS and didnt Get Bored

Thank you, hana_n and susie, I might give the film another try since I've only watched it once (and found myself distracted at times). :wink:

"The Royal Tenenbaums" is my second favourite film of all time, but there are quite a few people who told me they didn't like it at all. I think it's either a, you love it or you don't. Like susie bubble said, it's this feeling that encompasses you....

When I saw the commercial... I had this big feeling that I'd really like the film... then I went to see it with a friend, and from the first second to the last we were just enthralled.... I love it to bits. I own it and I've probably seen it like 10+ times?

The dialogue is very witty and a little strange but doesn't feel unnatural to me. The acting was brilliant and so subtly emotional.

I used to be able to watch the movie without crying but now that I've been through a depression I'll cry at all sorts of parts, including the Luke Wilson bathroom scene.... I find it really emotional and I find myself easily relating to a few characters in the film very strongly.

It's like the perfect mix of comedy and drama... and the themes of infidelity, depression, and family dysfunction are handled so well.

To me, "Royal Tenenbaums" is like this surreal altered reality. The dialogue is so quirky and witty. Gene Hackman and his butler crack me up. Those matching jumpsuits... There are so many little things that just add up to brilliance to me. It's a strange one, and i like that.

I'm embarrassed to admit this now, but a friend had wanted to show me the movie. After a few minutes, i recnognised Alec Baldwin's voice as narrator and demanded it be turned off. :blush: Then i gave in a few weeks later, and it's definitely one of my favorites!

But it's definitely not for everyone. My mother was visiting looking at my movie collection and couldn't believe i had that, remarking how horrible she thought it was. I think they saw Ben Stiller's name and were expecting to see that kind of movie.

My parents hated it too. They said that it 'went nowhere'.

What I care about in movies is great acting, great character development, great (witty but natural) dialogue, humour, relatability..... this movie had it all.

Like you said, it was very, very, very detailed. And yet so much of it was subtly done.

So has anyone seen the movie "Paris, Texas"? I saw it a couple weeks ago and i'm still thinking about it. It's like it's haunting me. :blush:

(I think you'd like it, if you haven't seen it Oolie - it has everything you described above and the most amazing cinematography!)

Last edited by a moderator:
is anyone else here a fan of the documentry grey gardens?-( i'm suprised there isn't a thread about little edie- her natural fashion sense inspired calvin klein)

bleuFunk said:
So has anyone seen the movie "Paris, Texas"? I saw it a couple weeks ago and i'm still thinking about it. It's like it's haunting me. :blush:

(I think you'd like it, if you haven't seen it Oolie - it has everything you described above and the most amazing cinematography!)

Thank you, I will look it up:flower:

Well, who's a Clockwork Orange fan here? I have a mild obsession with this film - and with the book. My mum thought it was insanely violent and cruel, but I thought it had such intensity and the violence was part of it all.
And Alex is a wonderful anti-hero. :P

Oh btw, is City of God worth watching? I've been hearing about it lately and am starting to get interested.

twilight fairy said:
Well, who's a Clockwork Orange fan here? I have a mild obsession with this film - and with the book. My mum thought it was insanely violent and cruel, but I thought it had such intensity and the violence was part of it all.
And Alex is a wonderful anti-hero. :P

yeah, i agree, i liked that movie too, i loved the set design and costumes also

^ City of God is very, very good. Very violent and so full of sadness, but it's definitely a good film.

Re: City of God
My ex says it's one of the best films he's ever seen... I haven't seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luxnova
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"