Overrated Movies

NY City Girl said:
Crash--i'm sure many will disagree but i thought it was one of the most overrated movies of all time and its a shame that something so primitively preaching and self-indlging would ever win an oscar. the moral and the way they portrayed it was too shove-down-the-throat obvious and lacked any kind of subtlety whatsoever. it was not a movie that would truly make people relate more to one another but rather a movie that would make people feel sorry for themselves and ignite even more intolerance. just hated hated hated it.
Thank you very much. Though your opinion is much stronger than mine, I agree whole-heartedly :flower:

You know what? In fact, I'll give you karma for it :P

m.j. said:
i think that there should be a thread about underrated movies, not overrated...
cos, many many movies r made, but only a few have some sort of point... or simply that they r not boring...

like many ppl haven't seen Velvet Goldmine, and that movie is like my top 3 movies of all time... music is great,actors r great and we get to see another side of the glam rock... plus,ewan mcgregor and JRM r singing all songs for real, which is a big plus for me... and for those who haven't seen it, well it is a story about glam rock, and how it died... u can recognize bowie's and iggy pop's influence... but it is not a movie for homophobics!!!:innocent:

velvet goldmine is one of my favourite movies.I agree with you this movie is really underrated

I didn't like the movie Crash either. The interesting thing about that movie is that when it first came out, a lot of the reviews were mixed. Some reviewers found in pretentious and to "preachy" even then.That's why everyone was so surprised when it won Best Picture. The problem I have with the movie is that instead of just telling me a story (or stories in this case), it felt like they were trying to teach me a lesson that eventually got tiring. Everyone is a little racist..most people know this. In the movie it seemed like that was the only thing people could talk about. It was as if race defined every aspect of their lives. Everything. I wish they had focused more in on the relationship between characters and not the aspect of the relationships between characters who are different races. It felt like they were trying to prove everyone was racist, to a certain degree, that I ended up caring about none of the characters at all. I was so disappointed when I'd heard they'd won.

I will say though, I liked the acting.

Crash. I don't think it deserved all those awards and all that praise and it certainly didn't deserve the Best Picture oscar.

I probabaly should have read through the whole thread before posting. It seems there are others who dislike Crash too. NY City Girl and Kawari have summed up my thoughts perfectly. Granted I haven't seen Munich, I thought Crash was the weakest of all the films nominated for the Best Picture oscar. I was so disappointed when it won. I think Good Night, and Good Luck should have won best picture and I think it succeeded in trying to do what Crash did but faailed. Both were message films but Good Night, and Good Luck had much more style and subtlety and focused on both the actual characters and the overall message of the film in a very balanced manner. Definitely one of the best films of 2005.

Probably Pirates of the Carribean, with Johnny Depp also as a very overrated actor. :yuk:

But well, it's not a very serious movie either, so...

^ BUMP!

Up gets my vote... as does A Serious Man... :rolleyes:

with no particular order:
titanic
the devil wears prada
pirates of caribbean..ecc..
i love shopping :yuk:
troy

juno. so quirky it makes me sick. it's as if someone had reviewed the script to add as many one-liners as possible.

A few that come to mind from the recent years.

There Will Be Blood
The Dark Knight
Good Night and Good Luck
Talk to Her

And I loved Crash, idk. That scene with that little girl gets me every time.

I used to love Juno but then something started to bother me about it.

Random:
Precious
The Blind Side
The Hangover
Pirates of the Carribean (2 and 3)
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
And I watched Citizen Kane a few years ago and I just didn't get how it is supposedly one of the best movies ever made. :unsure: :ninja:

And I watched Citizen Kane a few years ago and I just didn't get how it is supposedly one of the best movies ever made. :unsure: :ninja:

I think it's considered great b/c of the Orson Welles (the director/actor in Citizen Kane), he was holier than Scorsese is now back in those days. But needless to say, I didn't get Citizen Kane either. But then again, I don't get a lot of the old movies, Casablanca bores me to death, acting seems dreadful, harsh, almost like they all are angry and shouting for some reasons, what I consider overacting. This I could apply to most movies made before 70s. There is probably good deal of nostalgia and sentimentalism involved, not actual greatness. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->