The Gray Scale

kellyyen

Reaction score
I was going through my closet one day and realized that the majority of my clothes are either white or black or anything in between (all shades of gray). I was kind of surprised because I didn't know I was so unconsciously drawn to the muted tones of clothing. I just think it's easier to put things together when their colors are sort of go with each other. I have some very colorful pieces but those are much more like one of a kind stuff - like a really vintage coat or a pair of bright red flats.

Anybody else like this out there? And if so, please share your sense of style as well!

I am just like you, I went through a stage where most of my clothes were Grey, White or Black.
I still like them colours now, but I don't have as much of it now.

:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm like that as well, almost all of my clothes are grey, white, or black. I do have some colour here and there but very little. I find it harder to add colour to my outfits so I just avoid it all together, and I'm drawn to neutrals when I shop. I do try to "mix it up" by getting a lot of different striped, patterned, or solid clothes, so that my clothes don't end up looking the same.

I feel garish whenever I have a moment of hesitancy and try on colored clothes at a store - it just feels wrong.

I prefer the monochromatic look - and have been this way since the age of 10, which grown-ups found morbid on a kid growing up in a resort town by the beach.

The question is always, 'Does it come in BLACK?'

Moving to NYC was inevitable :wink:

Be true to your aesthetic and you won't go wrong.

xo

Just add "Drk Brown" to that mix and you've got me! Black, Grey and to a lesser degree white. I might branch out w/ a kick of color in the summer and certainly with handbags and shoes. Sometimes... ^_^

I'm exactly the same! I have stupid amounts of grey in my wardrobe....grey, white, black and jeans. A few flashes of colour, but rarely. I'm half-jealous of those people that wear colour easily, but I've just never been able to do it. I go shopping, look down three hours later and realise that everything I've bought is monochromatic. :rolleyes:

Love gray, and am thrilled it's so fashionable right now, because you can find practically anything in various shades of gray. Gray may seem like one of those no-brainer, neutral colors, but in the 90's it was difficult to find in youth-oriented brands, unless you count work-out clothes. Does anyone remember that pallette of black, brown, beige, and camel?

I was just coming into my own as a teenager and I had a complete aversion to black (mindboggling to me nowadays) and brown/beige etc. (still no likey). I wanted a gray winter coat, and couldn't find one anywhere, can you believe it? I finally managed to find one at Naf Naf - those French are oh-so-fashion forward.

70% Black 20%Grey 5% White or Cream and 5% other mostly green or jewel tones.

I love how I can relate to all of you here! I think gray truely is one of the very few tones that work really well together regardless of shade.

fashion_boi_01: I really dislike wasting time in the morning trying to piece together an outfit that looks great together that's also full of colors - it's just so much easier to go with the grays! And I'm drawn to neutrals as well. Everytime I hand my things to the cashier, they always laugh and point to the pile of grays/blacks/whites. And different patterns definitely help to balance the neutrality of the grays.

AndreaGrant@mac.:I completely understand you! It does feel awkward. Whenever I grab something really bright, it always seem somewhat taboo to be actually standing in the mirror and looking at yourself wearing it. Monochrome is the thing.

Serenity*Now and from: sophia: Brown and cream are also really nice classy tones to go with. I have a few pieces of those colors but when I wear one, the rest of my outfit usually has to be in the same tonal range - black/gray just doesn't look nice with brown/cream. Wonder if you guys have the same experience.

Anybody else? Please share your individual style, too.

I am the same way! A lot of my clothes (or at least the ones I wear) are either black, white, or gray. I don't mind! I went through a colorful stage and realized it wasn't for me. But in these colors I feel powerful like no one would dare mess with me B)

However if I want to mix it around mostly I go for the darker colors like an eggplant purple, army green, or navy. They tend to mix well with my monochromatic wardrobe. If I want a pop of color its mostly in my accessories since its easier to switch that up in the morning rather than trying on 5 bright rainbow colored shirts :huh:

I did over 3 loads of washing today and realised that for a girl who claims to love colour and smart clothes...I own 4 grey hoodies alone. Plus grey vest top, leggings, track pants, tee shirts, dresses ^_^

I think the great thing about grey is that it goes with most colours and I like wearing it with pink especially. In a clothes store,I do tend to gravitate towards grey out of it,black and white

I am the same way! A lot of my clothes (or at least the ones I wear) are either black, white, or gray. I don't mind! I went through a colorful stage and realized it wasn't for me. But in these colors I feel powerful like no one would dare mess with me B)

Ya same with me in my junior year of highschool I looked like a walking claires billboard and I still own a lot of neon and brights but I cant tell you the last time I wore them. The only brights that I still wear are my bright orange skirt (that I really want to die brown or black) And I still love Metallics I have a few goldish white dresses and tops and 2 pairs of black and gold/silver leggings. This thread has inspired me to clean out my closet :clap:. Now who should I give this stuff to? I just bought a pair of yellow 7 for all mankind emilio pucci jeans but I couldnt help myself and they will look great with grey.

^^ ah, I loved that blog entry too! I think I copy-pasted it onto my computer so I could save it & read it whenever I wanted ^_^

Yeah definitely gray, black and white. Then I as you had minor surprise one day when I was sorting my clothes. I decided that was it for me. I need some colour. Now my closet is filled with black, gray, brown, beige, palepale yellow. So that was enough colour for me. Haha. But I really like the beige scale. And I like to keep my style as simple as possible, adding scarfs, necklaces or belts etc. I just like timeless pieces of clothes.

Yeah definitely gray, black and white. Then I as you had minor surprise one day when I was sorting my clothes. I decided that was it for me. I need some colour. Now my closet is filled with black, gray, brown, beige, palepale yellow. So that was enough colour for me. Haha. But I really like the beige scale. And I like to keep my style as simple as possible, adding scarfs, necklaces or belts etc. I just like timeless pieces of clothes.

Totally agree! ^_^
I like to invest in my pieces for long and manageable wear! And just have fun with accessories since they are (can be, anyway) cheaper and just easier to switch around!
I am totally into beige right now also :ninja:

Grey and camel are the two most comforting colors for me. I'm looking for a grey coat right now.

I think navy is also going to make a huge comeback any day now. It has the softness of gray and the darkness of black. It's another one of my go-to colors, but at the moment, it's not that ubiquitous. You can find some navy clothes and accessories, but not as much as with gray and black. As with my gray-seeking teenage years of yore, I currently have my heart set on a navy coat, but can't seem to find that many.

That's definitely me too. I have some colors here and there but for the most part, I mostly stick with black, white, gray or navy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->