The minimalist's wardrobe

^ :crush::flower:

As far as minimalism goes, I feel like I lack something in my outfits to make them fashion forward if I am trying to be minimalistic as well.

Actually, yesterday was quite nice.
I wore a nice white tee and a high-waisted navy blue skirt and black flats. For a little flair, I wore my green necklace. Since it ties in the back with a ribbon, I put my hair up in a pony tail so that people could see the ribbon in the back.

I could say that was going in a minimalistic direction with the necklace being the focal point of the outfit, but I feel as if it doesn't come off as minimalistic. I might have to scope the internet for my answer.. :shifty:

This article has some decent pointers. Probably goes without saying, but I'm posting them anyway. ^_^

Why Simple Fashion is So Hot

Effortless, unfussy, unadorned, and powerfully understated, stark minimalist style is one of few fashion trends that works for virtually all women of any age, shape, or social occupation. There's something extremely confident and uncomplicated about this unpretentious look, which showcases a woman's shape, face, and personality, without any need to distract the eye with ornamental embellishments or patterns.

How to Wear the Stark Minimalist Fashion Trend:
Balance the Look with a Small Pop of Color

Keeping your outfit plain and simple also leaves room to draw attention to a pop of deeply saturated color in a shoe or handbag, such as burgundy or purple.

Wear a small dose of shimmer with one simple silver bangle, diamond studs, or a metallic accessory to add a little twinkle and life to your look.

Pull Yourself Together, Beautiful

In fact, if you're going to go minimalist, you absolutely must take the time to do your hair - even if it's just pulling your long hair back into a chic pony tail or chignon. And makeup is a must in order to keep you looking polished and prevent you from looking like a severely ascetic schoolmarm. Be trend-right on the beauty front by wearing a pretty pewter or gray eye shadow or a beautiful berry-colored or dark lipstick, both of which are also extremely popular this season.
womensfashion.suite101.com

I love the idea of a minimalism and have been trying to build a strong wardrobe for the past few years.

Like Shadow advised a few years back on the first page, the thing that is most important is to only buy things that fit you perfectly. Everything else will inevitably be worn a few times at most and admired in your closet until you realise you cannot wear it anymore. I've come to realize not only the importance of cut, but also of the fabric quality and stitching. The quality of an item may seem irrelivent, but if you really want a minimalistic wardrobe, it means having less pieces that will last.

I'm not a minimalist in full, but I believe in having only one of everything. As far as shoes, that means one good pair of flats, one good pair of sneakers, one good pair of sandals, one good pair of boots, and two good pairs of heels [as they differ more]. Each pair of shoes, though, I went to painstaking extremes to find exactly what I was looking for in every single detail. This goes for other things, as well. I don't own anything, even basics, in doubles.

There have to be exceptions, though. An entirely minimalistic wardrobe is boring without a few key pieces. I have a lot of vintage hand-me-downs from my [thankfully] fashion conscious hippie mother and her friends. This includes most of my jewelry. I think it adds just enough of a different touch that it's not boring everyday.

Are you going to have a go with this?

-_- Probably not. Although I love the idea of the minimalist look style-wise, I could never live under the restraints of a minimalist lifestyle. (It said I would have to clean out my iTunes.) :shock:

I'm not a minimalist in full, but I believe in having only one of everything. As far as shoes, that means one good pair of flats, one good pair of sneakers, one good pair of sandals, one good pair of boots, and two good pairs of heels [as they differ more]. Each pair of shoes, though, I went to painstaking extremes to find exactly what I was looking for in every single detail. This goes for other things, as well. I don't own anything, even basics, in doubles.

I like your take on minimalism. :flower:

Some recent pics from vogue.com re: minimalism. The last photo is from the F/W 2011 Calvin Klein collection.

Attachments

• img-mww090205_14013891651.jpg_halfpage_sligeshow.jpg
    img-mww090205_14013891651.jpg_halfpage_sligeshow.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2
  • img-mww090306_120531485192.jpg_halfpage_sligeshow.jpg
    img-mww090306_120531485192.jpg_halfpage_sligeshow.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1
  • clean-chic-01_175420915342.jpg_halfpage_sligeshow.jpg
    clean-chic-01_175420915342.jpg_halfpage_sligeshow.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2
  • calvinkleinf-w11.jpg
    calvinkleinf-w11.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1
I thought that this was a great list of clothes to start with!

From Garance Dore, blog by the same name:

From Kaysi : Garance!!! Do you have any advice for creating a minimalist, functional, and fabulous wardrobe?

Mmmm… Kaysi, even if I dream of having a minimalist, functional, and fabulous wardrobe, most mornings I find myself buried under a mountain of clothes – outfits literally falling on top of me – I can never find anything and everything’s lost.

I usually just end up wearing the last thing I bought (right now, a pair of grey jeans and Fratelli Rossetti shoes) just because they’re on top of the pile.

That said, I could never dare to imagine just how happy I would be if every time I opened my closet, I found the following clothes, folded neatly and organized by color:

• Black cashmere turtlenecks. I still haven’t found the perfect one.
• Grey v-neck cashmere sweaters – Bompard makes the deepest Vs – I just love them.
• Silk shirts from Equipment, of course.
• Church’s flats. Three pairs.
• One pair of sublime very high heels, black, like the Pigalles by Louboutin – Yeah, only one! If they’re that sublime, they’ll be enough!
• Grey skinny jeans. White skinny jeans. Helmut Lang, the denim is the thinnest I’ve ever felt.
• One pair of boyfriend jeans.
• Two blazers, one black, the other marine blue. Stella.
• A straight-cut skirt, Céline.
• A Sarti scarf, light as a cloud. I’ll take a quick picture for you as I’m wearing one right now.
• A dress, Alaïa or Roland Mouret. Never goes out of style.
• A big coat, camel or grey.
• And a military parka – light and long.

And I’d go wild with accessories. A hat. Red socks. A pair of amazing sunglasses. A purse to die for. Bright nail-polish. Cause minimalistic is good but still, some girls are just born with glitter in their veins… ;-)

Don’t you think ?

Ok, so that was my version of functional and fabulous… What is yours ?

Translation : Tim Sullivan

zombie thread is old of course but I cannot totally agree with this statement.

A minimalist wardrobe naturally gives way to a uniform. Dressing in that would require doubles. It would be tragic to not own a few pairs of something that fits perfectly, I am running to the problem now as some pants of mine are aging and are in need of replacements.

I could be wrong if the idea is to dress minimalist (own lots of non-fuss) but not move over into the lifestyle arena.

This thread is very interesting!

I'm the type of person who is always attracted to sparkly, bright, shiny and embellished objects - but have somehow ended up with a minimalist style. :lol: I have no idea how the two went together!

For me minimalism is all about getting to know your body and your colors. Because it is when you understand why a certain cut or color of a t-shirt compliments you and another doesn't that you can work the minimalist look.

It would be tragic to not own a few pairs of something that fits perfectly, I am running to the problem now as some pants of mine are aging and are in need of replacements.

Yes, just to save myself some time (and because it's infrequent when I find something that fits perfectly and that I love), I'll buy multiples. And what about laundry? You've got to have something to wear while you're washing the other pair! I've found with a professional schedule, I've got to have multiples in order to keep up with the infrequent dry cleaning/laundry schedule I've got going on.

^ I agree with this, absolutely. My wardrobe is quite minimalistic, but I would go mad without multiples of at least a few items. Especially when you find that pair of pants or a sweater that fits so perfectly that when it's being cleaned you still want to wear it again!

Lately I have become fascinated with the idea of minimalism and adopting my life to those values. I am sick of getting up in the morning and staring at a full closet feeling like i have nothing to wear. I want to take the guess work out and stream-line my wardrobe to a few staples that will actually get consistent use instead of worn maybe once or twice.

I've decided to adopt a minimal wardrobe but to cope with the urge to experiment I plan on being strict with my wardrobe but allow myself to explore trends in accessories/makeup/hair, etc. Has anyone tried this method?

Lately I have become fascinated with the idea of minimalism and adopting my life to those values. I am sick of getting up in the morning and staring at a full closet feeling like i have nothing to wear. I want to take the guess work out and stream-line my wardrobe to a few staples that will actually get consistent use instead of worn maybe once or twice.

I've decided to adopt a minimal wardrobe but to cope with the urge to experiment I plan on being strict with my wardrobe but allow myself to explore trends in accessories/makeup/hair, etc. Has anyone tried this method?

This is probably mentioned earlier on here, and she's a TFS member, but I love Dead Fleurette's blog for just the reasons you mentioned above:

http://grayzine.no/deadfleurette/

I can definitely get by with a few basics as long as they fit perfectly and are of somewhat good quality (so I can wear them a lot).

I recently cleaned out my closet and I've realized that it's actually easier to get dressed every day when the closet isn't overstuffed with things.

Ahhh yes Dead Fluerette is fantastic! Definitely one of the most inspirational blogs out there. Thank you ShoestringTravel! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mooncholly
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->