The minimalist's wardrobe

Bump, because I'm interested in getting more opinions on minimalism. I'm a student (so I have very limited funds) and I always gravitate towards a certain, small set of my clothes, so I feel like minimalism is the way to go.

So, what are some great tips for going minimalist?

^ You may be interested in our 4-5 piece French wardrobe thread, which is all about just that ...

Hi Everyone

I agree with Gasoline Rainbow that minimalist style is a different thing from having a minimalist wardrobe. For me minimalism in style is about:

1. Monochromatic colour in striking neutrals- blacks , greys, whites etc.
2. Texture e.g. black leather cuffs on a black gabardione jacket
3. Sculptural and architectural shapes
4. Accessories that are like minature works of modern art.
4. Bold statement peices worn on a plain background e.g,. a bold necklace on a black shift dress
5. Bold slashes of colour e.g hot pink belt or red shoes
6. Minimalist polished make-up with bright red lips etc. or a sever sculptural hairstyle
7. A tendancy for synthetic amd modern fabrics
8. Exquisite detailing such as pintucking, pleating and folding.

I used to dress in this style -but I got bored. Also if you like to flatter the feminine figure it may not be the best choice.

Just my opinion......

^ Great points! I think there's ways to flatter the feminine figure with minimalist style, though.. such as simple sheath dresses, but the first styles that comes to mind are loose, flowy fabrics in almost boxy shapes.

i think makeup can also be, lack of makeup
or ,as if you're wearing nothing

in a lot of shows like at jil sander they use a 'transparent gel' to make the skin shine clean. and the rest it's just cover up to even skin tone and lips are soft and pale, sometimes almost the same tone as the skin

^ I think he means those shine products? Since I have abundant shine of my own, I have never felt the need for them :P

^ What do you mean by "transparent gel"? Any examples on the market?
Sorry late reply
I saw the guy at Jil again...

Search for "pearl gel"
Seems like a lot out there

Yeah it's just for gloss... I have enough natural shine too :angel:
I'm looking for something even out skin tone..but not foundation or cover up. Any suggestions? Back in high school I used Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser and it seemed to work really well.. I had to use it constantly though. It seemed to make my face oilier (only drawback)

^ You may try asking in the skincare forum, gius ... maybe LTEC will have some ideas for you.

I don't think people know what a minimalist is (or maybe I don't, but please explain me wrong). MINIMAList, as in, as little as possible. Meaning you should opt to skip the jewelery and bold handbags.

I think people are confusing chic with minimalist. Which is an easy mistake in which they are almost the exact same thing. The difference: minimalist is masculine (which is why it is usually a term catered towards men) and chic is feminine.

Here are some pictures so you can see the idea

Minimalist:

9308PrincessTeeWeb1.jpg

7178DVNblueweb.jpg

GryBlk.jpg

chic:
7168Darcydressweb.jpg
9238SMblkwalkingWeb.jpg

All pictures are of women with little to no accessories and they all are wearing very simple and non-trendy pieces, but you can clearly see difference between the two styles because of a difference in masculinity and femininity.

I do see the difference between minimal and chic, but I think the only difference is the pieces.

In the first, the people are wearing T's and pants. In the second, the women are wearing dresses.

I do see the difference but I couldn't distinguish the difference if you hadn't labeled them, Alluis.

^ It's a theory, but I'm not sure I agree with it :wink: I think you can be minimalist and feminine, but I agree it's a spare look. I'm not sure it requires no jewelry ... and I think you can be both colorful and minimal.

Can I get more input from you, fashionista-ta? Like, I subscribed to the thread thinking that minimal meant keeping an outfit, sort of, on the "DL." :lol:

Does minimal mean less clothing or less going on? Because in the photos posted above, both have not a lot of clothing but also not a lot going on. :huh:

^ I guess this thread is exploring what it means :wink:

In my view, a minimalist look can be quite interesting, but the level of detail is significantly pared back.

i agree with you ^

i also think it's easier to understand when you have something for comparison
otherwise a minimalist can blend in with the crowd
lots of people out there who wear nothing but black or blue.

we can all imagine a wardrobe, chockfull of colours and patterns
place a minimalist wardrobe next to it, the difference is really visible. it may be one colour along side accents of black and white. very simple, clean. you can read it, it has a 'theme' or story.

when you go out and wear an outfit such as this, it might not be clear, unless you were walking with people clad in lots of colours and patterns. you stand out. you are their opposite. while allius' ideas were good and explaining, the pictures lack because you don't see them in context. when i first saw them, i thought 'classic'

so with this idea...
if you were walking by yourself...
minimalism may have to be inherent in the design itself .

i have seen Marni jackets that are just a simple shape of taupe or slate blue, and they have one contrasting button at the top near the collarbone. in actuality there are more buttons down the garment but they are hidden under a flap... From a stranger's point of view, it looks like you only need the one button to close the whole jacket. and that image, i find is minimalist... it's completely pared down.
it's thinking about a basis or foundation, something we are all used to seeing. something we have grown up with, something we have 'accepted'. we all know what a suit jacket looks like. or a formal shirt you wear to work. what happens when the collar of the shirt is not actually there, it's just an image or it might be a slit (calvin klein had this)---it only reminds you of the 'conventional or traditional shirt' but it's been stripped to near nothing. and it's clear, you can see that it has been pared down

Last edited by a moderator:
^ To me, good minimalism really stands out & is noticeable because you think, so simple and yet so perfect. I like some embellishment myself, but it can be used in a really lazy way ... slapped on to hide flaws, up to and including lack of imagination or skill on the designer's part. So good minimalism requires great skill ...

so would you agree that it's only possible in the design of the garment?^
you would have to buy 'minimalist' pieces

instead of working with tees, trousers, dresses you may already have
to create that style.
if you don't agree, i'd love to see some examples :innocent:

it may be one colour along side accents of black and white. very simple, clean. you can read it, it has a 'theme' or story.
you are their opposite.

The above comments really summed it up for me. Thanks gius. :flower: The first photo in #110 is probably the best example of that IMO. I have a hard time imaging little clothing being the opposite of what people are wearing. The other person would probably have to be a scenster decked out in neon colors, no?

minimalism may have to be inherent in the design itself .

Since I didn't have the energy to scrounge, I knew of one tFS member who seems very minimalist in her style. Her pieces stand out as the focal point of the outfit. In one of her outfits that I haven't posted, she had distressed jeans and a plain white shirt on with a little breast pocket. I imagine that to be minimalist since she pays lots of attention to the design of her clothing and lets that be the statement.

thedivinitus.blogspot.com

....I imagine that to be minimalist since she pays lots of attention to the design of her clothing and lets that be the statement.
i think that's a great point
- it's all about clarity
a clear vision
it's about one distinct message

there is this new thread in Trendspotting: japanese cut
i wonder if you guys would think it fits here.
more pictures at: creative patternmaking

other ideas
Marni .|. Yohji Yamamoto
00340m5350483tg5.jpg
yohjiyamamotoatmomuantwerp119d.jpg

style.com; prettypretty.be

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mooncholly