The "Hello Kitty" craze....

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by sandra, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Boudoir Belle

Boudoir Belle New Member

hmm.. there's a sanrio shop about an hour from where i live, might check there -- thanks crazyfordior :heart:

2. ~*BabyPhat Princess*~

I love Hello Kitty it's so cute

3. xoxmisspinupxox

xoxmisspinupxox New Member

All of my pencils for school are Hello Kitty, but that's about the extent of it. I like that it's cute, but some people go overboard.

4. SoJess

SoJess New Member

Even though I'm much older than I was when I collected Hello Kitty, I still love it and purchase items every once in a while, but nothing really drastic or crazy.

Hello Kitty stands for all the girliness and sweetness of my childhood and so for me, it's wonderful to see it's still going strong! Think about it, do we see Holly Hobby or Strawberry Shortcake as much anymore?

I actually have a wallet and tote among other things. The pattern is this beige/chocolate/powder blue weaved plaid with the little Hello Kitty face . . . it's actually the "Hula" collection (think pale Kitty on vaca w/ a tan), very preppy and clean. I sometimes forget that my wallet is so whimsical and it takes people by surprise when they see it, but hey, you have to have some fun in life! They always compliment me on it and some have even asked where I got it.

:heart: Whatever your take on her, remember your girly-ness daily! YOU choose to do it outright for all to see or w/ a small reminder for your eyes only. :heart:

5. sashatheelf

sashatheelf New Member

i like mashimarrow, or whatever the hell that fat japanese rabbit is named. or rather, i like seeing the cute mashimarrow earmuffs on tiny asian girls running amuck nyc.

6. crazyfordior

crazyfordior New Member

Sure, boudoirbelle ;) all the sanrio shops carry the stuff like toaster and coffe machine, or airdry. In Milan we've one very big store with all those cute items. Good luck, and happy shopping

7. Barbie

Barbie New Member

8. tott

tott slightly dizzy

You can also buy your very own strictly limited Hello Kitty in platinum/diamonds. 3 cm high, only € 24 000.

Well, depending on the exchange rate; 24 K is just a guesstimate from me.

9. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

Actually, I have noticed that Strawberry Shortcake and her eighties counterparts are currently being revitalized for the girls of my generation. The Carebears, Seseame Street and the Cat in the Hat are suddenly becoming hip at stores like Bluenotes and Urban Outfitters. My guess is that the brands have finally decided to cash into our sense of nostalgia. And it seems to be working, for me at least, as I recently bought myself a Strawberry Shortcake tee... :blush:

10. Romy B

Romy B New Member

I love Kitty :heart:

[​IMG]

flickr

11. DenimBlog

DenimBlog New Member

I love Hello Kitty and have since I was a little girl but I wouldn't wear it out.

12. MySweetSeptember

MySweetSeptember New Member

I love Hello Kitty things, it's something my best friend and I collect. We always get hello kitty presents for each other :p

But when I do incorporate HK into my ensemble, I do so sparingly, I dont want to look five....

13. John_M.

John_M. New Member

Anything besides skulls is something to be excited about. I can remember around this time ten years ago, you were either in love with Mickey Mouse or Tweety. Countless merchandise to show off love for Mickey Mouse (even Minnie Mouse) and Tweety were shown off. Everyday style nowadays is more about message T-shirts, Happy Bunny (cute, but annoying, especially the messages), and stuff like that.

A few of my girl friends wear a lot of Hello Kitty stuff. Hello Kitty is cute. The Animé style is lovely. I think it's actually a testament that peppy Japanese design and Japanese characters can be accepted and put onto clothes and other items. Hello Kitty is a simple, yet cute design. There's even been a number of different tops bearing certain messages and certain looks. Messages include:

"Can you dig it?"
    "I love the 80s" <<< you all know how I feel about the '80s, though born in 1983

The design is very fun. As for older women wearing Hello Kitty, why not? I still remember seeing that Hello Kitty necklace thing that sells for about $2,000! If femmes of various ages were wearing Mickey Mouse stuff ten years ago, why not this decade as well? Hello Kitty's the "it" character nowadays. Not sure how much of one... still got to make skull designs take a permanent dirt nap. All in all, I have no problem with Hello Kitty. I'm even a cat lover personally, so that's double the love for Hello Kitty.

When you want a cute character to wear that doesn't intentionally deliver mean and sarcastic messages (Happy Bunny), go Hello Kitty!

14. PonyShow

PonyShow New Member

hello kitty. absolutely not. i am so sick of it i wanna vomit. i saw this poor girl who got hello kitty tattooed on her arm.

15. KilltheLook

KilltheLook New Member

Although i like Hello Kitty a lot (i grew up in an Asian country so Hello Kitty is obviously a significant part of our culture), i rather see it in daily stuff like toaster, curtain, cup, pillow and so on...basically anything but clothes...and the idea of the bag and the expensive jeweleries (Kimora collaboration) is just kinda weird...just imagine a grown up woman going to a parent-teacher conference for her young daughter with this kind of bag makes me laugh so much...

16. gius

gius écrivain

i really prefer those other Sanrio characters..
    especially from San-X
    much more interesting + amusing :p

17. Hanne

Hanne Storm &amp;amp;amp; Sommer

Storm, my 3 year old, has discovered 'Little Kitty' as she calls it...

So now we have Hello Kitty bandaids.. and you bet.. at the slightest scratch.. she has to have it adored with a bandaid.

#97 Hanne, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited by moderator ksnodgress: Jul 21, 2008
  18. mme

mme New Member

As an asian growing up with Hello Kitty, it gets tired very fast.
    ^ San-X however... is :woot: Rilakkuma is my favourite character ever. He just melts my heart :heart:

19. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

I do enjoy the random Hello Kitty knick-knack: erasers, pencils, stationary.

My coin purse is Hello Kitty! in fact. ^_^

20. John_M.

John_M. New Member

But again... I'd rather Hello Kitty than any other annoying characters. Skulls are all played out as is some other stuff. Even if you don't like Hello Kitty, at least this is something different. Not to mention acceptable as well.