The Last Magazine F/W 2008 (Premier Issue) : Daria Werbowy by Camilla Åkrans

Plato's_Cave

Reaction score
New biannual publication launching this Fall. If anyone has more details, please post. :flower:

Last But Not Least

August 27, 2008

2im84so.jpg

Magnus Berger and Tenzin Wild have been at this fashion racket for quite some time. Both have been successful models (and still have the gams to book an occasional job, if the price is right) and both have had experience behind the tear sheets, too—Berger as a graphic designer at Baron & Baron and Wild in the design departments of V and Visionaire (Berger dates Julia Restoin-Roitfeld, so he might have picked up some tips there, too). They’ve teamed up to create The Last Magazine, a biannual launching this autumn and due to be fêted during fashion week. We caught up with the Swedish-born Berger, who “moved to New York for music but fell in love with fashion,” for more details.

How did you and Wild develop The Last Magazine?

I always thought Tenzin would be a great guy to work with, and I always wanted to do a magazine for and about our generation. We bounced around a few names and The Last Magazine kept on coming back—it might sound cocky, but it’s a play on that whole discussion that print journalism is in its final throws, which we don’t agree with. I just think its role has changed a bit. I see The Last as a mix between newsprint and an art book.

What are the specifics of the new title?

Biannual on a refined newsprint, oversized (21″ x 15″) and folds like a traditional newspaper, but with beautiful printing. We see it as a platform for staging fresh talent and a new generation of artists. It’s not so much the subject matter but rather how you approach it.

What were some of the influences?

There have been oversized magazines before, like Ritz and Egoiste, so its dimensions are not unique. In terms of the look, we wanted to utilize the advantages of newsprint, which is fragile—so then it’s up to the reader to dispose of it after they’ve read it, or frame it. I like the idea that there’s a surprise every time you turn the page, and with this format it’s easy to play with proportions.

It seems a new fashion title debuts every season. What sets this one apart from the other upstarts?

Lots of magazines, but not all of them are interesting. They get formulaic. Unless you’ve figured out why you want to print a magazine, it’s easier and cheaper to do it online. To be honest, this magazine might not be for everyone—but that’s not the intention, either.

Will there be online component? How important is that in magazines now?

We are working on the online version now, but it’s a pretty simple principle: What works better online, like video, music, and news, will be online; and what’s better in print will stay in the magazine. It seems that most magazines nowadays use their Web sites to tease their print editions with snippets, which is just annoying. Our Web component, launching in October, will be like the other side of the same coin.

If you had to sum up The Last in one sentence, what would it be?

It’s all things new—at last.

—Derek Blasberg
style.com

I'm not entirely sure if this is the actual cover or just a prototype... it's not an old photo, is it?
unsure.gif

Seems interesting & I'll definitely pick this up if I can find it... I like the idea of it being oversized... printed on newsprint & folded like a newspaper.

Thanks for posting Plato's Cave :flower:

It's already been done by ACNE magazine which doesn't excite me that much. However I like what Camilla does.

Going off just by the picture - this could not be any less interesting.

ACNE Paper is printed on a newsprint type stock but is not folded like a newspaper... it is bound with staples. It has a definite point of view which I find very inspiring & exciting.

It always amazes me when people so easily dismiss something they haven't even seen yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
It always amazes me when people so easily dismiss something they haven't even seen yet.

I'm on the same page with you MMA, I think this sounds like an exciting project with a great deal of talent behind it. I like that they are using fresh people, from what I've heard they will be working with a lot of up and coming stylists and photographers for this project and that is great. Granted the cover is Akrans and Daria which is a tried and true combination but the format is exciting as well as the prospect of fresh blood. Lets see what happens!

Looks very promising, both of the founders working in the most coveted design companies in fashion :wink:

ACNE Paper is printed on a newsprint type stock but is not folded like a newspaper... it is bound with staples. It has a definite point of view which I find very inspiring & exciting.

Yes I read the interview and yes Acne is not folded which doesn't necessarily mean that you can't fold it by using your own hands. I don't know what Acne magazine you're refering to but the one that we have here in Sweden is indeed bound with staples.

Anyway I find it amazing how people easily put words that don't even exist in other peoples mouths!
:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
after reading the interview I've got the impression that the newspaper format is more important than the magazine itself, all the interview seems to concentrate on that.

It’s not so much the subject matter but rather how you approach it
really? :ermm:

I'm not saying that the magazine is going to be bad, obviously I have no idea, it's just that he answers the questions like some politician, without really saying anything, the interview could be sumed up in one line.

Daria's beauty is so captivating...

Im confused? Ive got a book called The Last Magazine about all different magazines, is this related??

Im excited for the issue, does anyone know when it will be on newsstands?

i can't stand the smell or feel of newspaper so i think i'll be steering well clear of this one.:innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beese
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->