The Model Agency Mega Thread (January 2004 - March 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One is a poor agency and they will remail poor, dependless of what people say, penny609. They have got a weak management which really doesn't depend on what somebody might think or say. They have never been at the level of IMG/Women as long as they haven't raised their own tops as far as I remember. And I don't believe they could, having in mind their bad financial situation and the fact, that to raise a top an agency needs to have an agent capable of doing it.

I never tried to compare them to IMG or Women and even highlighted the fact it actually could be a total nonsense to do so provided they don't work on the same level, size etc.
But I keep believing they're not as bad as you say. If they are, who after Next, Women and IMG isn't ? That might be the question.

I won't even comment on your passage re Olga as it's all wrong - I see that you're not too familiar with her career, sorry.
One has got a new owner now, but as I understand the team is pretty much the same... So let the God help those who sign with them.

As for Olga, I might miss some reasons behind her success but FW 07 was the real kick in her career, including her opening Marc Jacobs. Then I didn't say One "made" Olga Sherer and if they took part of her career and they certainly didn't do it alone.

I wouldn't put Next near IMG and Women also, Next is loosing their positions as I know due to a huge business reorganization and also they loose lots of money to Ford NY in courts as they say... I'd say that the good agencies are the ones that have got enough funds to support the girls even when they are in 15.000-20.000 USD debts and enough bookers to get them out of these debts and to improve their books at the same time.
I actually agree to the conclusion fritmayo made that for some girls one agency could be the best and for the other - some other agencies... But what is always required in 100% - that the agency pays money to the models. And that an agency is able to get a model to another level.
1MM was able to use the fact that Olga already did half of haute couture shows in Summer 2006. I believe there's a huge distinction between taking a model to a new level and just booking her for the same level jobs... Olga has definitely started to get to the top level in Europe, and, of course, it's totally impossible to make it without NY. But it doesn't neccesarily mean that it's all due to an amazing job of an agency as sometimes it's just the clients who want a girl...

I've got to agree with almost all you said and it wasn't really my intention to place Next near IMG... was just an example of another agency that doesn't work the same way as "independent" (I know the word might be confusing but as long as it's not within a network) agencies like One.

I fully agree with you on the fact an agency should (or have to) be able to be strong enough to support these girls who don't take off fast enough and end up with debts. And again with you when you say Fritmayo is right on the fact there might be different possibilities for each girl and not everyone will succeed or get a decent level even with IMG or Women (that's why I also think One isn't that bad).

I can't say no as well on the fact Olga did well in Couture right before she did really well in New York and it's fully true that it helped her a lot too. Though, One had to keep this level and it doesn't always work that well. Well, there might be a part of luck too but still.

One is a poor agency and they will remail poor, dependless of what people say, penny609. They have got a weak management which really doesn't depend on what somebody might think or say. They have never been at the level of IMG/Women as long as they haven't raised their own tops as far as I remember.

Have u every thought, that not everyone who run an agency feels the need to compete at IMG/ women Level?:rolleyes:

U talk about financial situation, about that too, do u see any reason to compare some agencies of One level, who must rely on their real own income to survive, and some big agencies that you named, who even if they loose 15 millions $ at the end of they year, has somebody behind them to make a blank cheque to make seem like their year financial year has been great?

If u study a bit more the financial side of modeling, you will see that many model switch are not due to the girl wanted to leave a bad agency, but is usually due to money proposition from Bigger agencies, who can do these propositions not because of the quality of their management, but by the fact they have budget to promise things and to take risk risk, where smaller agencies just can not play in that kind of game.
So that some agencies develop well and loose their top, is usually more pure financial reasons than poor qualities of management.

I m in no way connected to One, but for them or for any other agency, to qualify on a forum some business of "poor" just in knowing maybe even not 10% of how these business works, is not exactly fair to say the least...

Have u every thought, that not everyone who run an agency feels the need to compete at IMG/ women Level?:rolleyes:

I believe there's some confusion over this matter. Have you ever thought that it might be not an altogether bad idea to check the original question which gives a start to the discussion? I'll quote it to you then:

"2. What about One Management? Are they on the same level like Women or IMG in NYC? "

I never tried to compare neither these agencies, nor any others, was just answering the question...

I won't comment on the rest - you're trying to explain either to me or to someone else some trivial things that nobody asked about. I know how and why the models switch or are being switched, and, thank you for your nice assumptions but they are quite misleading.

I don't think that this is the right place to argue about some professional details of this business especially when we're somewhat in a different weight so to say. Btw, to me it seems trivial that everything written here is IMHO. So in case you are interested about my personal position, you could ask a question and you'll be answered accordingly. But your nice sententions about 10% look pretty childish...

Btw, my assessment as 1MM as poor has been given largely in order to counterbalance what Penny609 said of them before, dependless of what I really think of them. As I stress it that they didn't do anything really outstanding to be, for instance, one of my favourite botique agencies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview with Code Model Management Amsterdam(Motheragency of Nimue Smit & Iris van B.) about new face development, casting wear and the agency itself from digital-diamonds.blogspot.com.Hope it's the right thread to post it.

dddd.jpg

Code Model Management is a Dutch boutique agency located in Amsterdam. Administered by the agency owners Rick van Wolferen & Marit Simons, Code Model Management provides both, an approach that is personalized to every single model and a global-scale network composed of top-rated clients + market-leading agencies.

Almost one year ago, Code Model Management’s first protégée caused a great stir by booking the Prada Spring 2009 campaign shot by Steven Meisel, thus a star was born, 17yo Nimue Smit. Good to know, that Nimue’s success wasn’t an occasion for both to rest on their laurels, though; SS2010 was the first runway season for another Code-girl, Iris, who debuted on Missoni's runway in Milan some weeks ago.

It is high time to know what there is behind Amsterdam’s factory that makes models' dreams come true.

Code Management is rated to be one of Europe's rising top agencies, so it would be highly interesting to know more about the agency itself. What made you consider founding Code Management?

We caught the entrepreneurial spirit early on. We are young people full of ambitions, we dare to dream. There are many beautiful, tall girls in Holland, a few of them can make a lucrative career out of modeling. We want to provide those girls with a management that allows them to understand the business and use their potential to the fullest. We always reach for the best, that's how we decided to start Code.

Is there a special motto for your agency?

No, there isn't.

What makes your management stand out against other agencies?

We do bookings in the Dutch market but essentially we are scouts and managers. Rick and I scout girls for the international high-fashion markets, hence why we have a very small roster of girls. As mother agents we carefully nurture the few we represent and when they are ready to become full-time professional models our efforts go into their business and career prospects. We advise them on every aspect of their career. They are young girls so we also travel abroad with them, it's the best way to teach them about the industry. Especially during the international fashion weeks we're there 24/7 to help them out with everything. Sometimes it's even just to put a little smile on their face. During stressful times like the fashion week people tend to treat fashion as a matter of life and death, so if the atmosphere gets a little tense we make up for that. ;-)

Do you only sign up new girls in the case of being convinced to 100% by their look or do you give them a kind of chance to prove themselves? Does actually a model's personality play a role for you?

If a girl has something we can't put our finger on straight away, of course we'll work with her and see how she develops. Personality and commitment are very important, but we're mostly working with young girls so it could take a while before they're truly comfortable. It matters more to us if the girl really likes this job because it will make her feel good, and that's what will bring out her personality as she goes along.

Decide what’s of more importance: Perfect measurements or a perfect face?
It's definitely about having the “look”.

Regarding collaborations with international agencies - whom do you work together with?

We work with all the leading agencies. During our first years we developed good working relationships with Women, Next and Marilyn.

How much time does it take to nurture a girl on international standards? Are "over-night-sensations" like getting casted for a Prada/MiuMiu runway exclusive actually possible just after shooting first tests?

Anything is possible because there's a perpetual crave for new in this industry. They like the girls visibly new, yet capable and presenting a casual confidence. If we believe in a girl and she wants to pursue this, it takes as long as needed to develop her. It depends on factors like age, confidence and enthusiasm so it could be anywhere from 2 months to a couple years.

Who is your most successful model right now?

Nimue Smit

How much time did the development take until she booked the Prada campaign one year ago? What do you think is the reason for her success?

Nimue shot the Prada campaign a year after we scouted her. She has a natural talent for modeling, for example just walking down the street she's very elegant in her way of moving. A true beauty. It's her looks that brought her to Prada, but it requires a lot of commitment to actually turn it into a full-fledged career. We, Nimue, her parents and agents abroad always stick our heads together to make it possible for her to do both school and modeling without compromising too much and she's juggling the two exceptionally well! We're all very proud of her for that.

Best job for a new girl to establish herself in this industry?
We say the best job a new girl can do is her best. In the end it's the girl that establishes herself if she wants to do this. You have people like Steven Meisel who can give a talented model the most prestigious start, but one amazing job with a top photographer is not a career yet. It's that first wave you have to ride with enthusiasm.

Do you rather try and risk something or better wait and keep a new girl "safe"?
If we can tell the girl isn't ready, of course we'll wait until she is. But there is also never any guarantee.

What would you advise a model to wear to a casting?

Something simple that shows a sense of style and interest in the job. Usually skinny jeans, high heels and a nicely cut blazer or jacket make a nice 'model uniform'. It's a good thing if she learns how to play around with different pieces and styles.

Who are your most promising diamonds at the moment?
Iris van Berne is based in New York as of now, with Next Models. We're very excited for her! And then we have some precious little diamonds at home in Holland.

Thank you for the interview!

http://code-management.blogspot.com/

Interview with casting director James Scully in Lexposure:

How has the modeling industry, as well as public perceptions of the industry, changed between the beginning of your career and now?

I could write a book on this, but if I can choose the one thing here it is. The ideal that a model was this aspirational, rarified creature who inspired you to want to look better seems to be missing these days. Celebrities have almost completely destroyed both the modeling and fashion business, but I say almost because anything broken can be fixed. It’s very sad and ironic that we are looking to people who look bad, dress poorly and have no manners for fashion direction. The concept of “celebrities are just like us” removed the mystery and glamour of movie stars. Now, there is no difference between Nicole Kidman and Kim Kardashian to the tabloid public. And because it sold, fashion magazines got on that bandwagon for a quick jump on the newsstands, and it had the same effect on fashion. Since there were no more cover girls, editors now needed quick inspiration fixes and in came the 15-year-olds whose careers are over before their first editorials are out. Models that looked like women and women of color were out the door. No woman can relate to a child in a designer outfit – it’s creepy and disconnecting, so the celebrities with their average looks and full figures won. And fashion suffered as a whole for it. What’s personally most depressing is to see the editors I view as my personal heroes being reduced to shooting the casts of Gossip Girl and High School Musical for fashion stories. It must feel humiliating.

I am signed with an local agency for about a year and a half now but there is ZERO work where I live. Do you think I should go off to NYC on my own or wait until my other agent thinks I'm ready??

First we should know about the development efforts of your mother agency. Did they work for you or have you just been hanging around 18 months without even doing some tests?
Don't simply blame your agency, it's also up to the girl to stay in touch with her agency and to openly talk to her booker/agent in case of problems, also make sure that expectations match.
If still nothing happens it's better to consider the option to join another agency.

Trying to join directly a major agency in NYC may or may not work, it depends all on a girl's overall potential. There are no fast and hard rules. If you're a very tall lean Russian girl with a U.S. passport things will statistically speaking look better than if you're like the average rather plain, short and slightly overweight typical U.S. girl (who'll never become a fashion model anyway).

First talk with your agent/booker, don't seek for greener grass in their back, it won't be appreciated and the world is smaller than you'd expect it to be.

Without being able to assess your potential, something we can't do on tFS, it's impossible to give you more than some basic generic advice because each case in different.

Blunier

I'll thank you! ^_^
If you can give me a help by sending some links I'll be so grateful since I'm new in the forum B) :unsure:

^You just go up to the top of the thread -
go to option search thread

and type in JoyStars

The search will come up with whatever has been posted.

Joystars - Post #1587

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->