The Most Overrated Designers...

Ok then :flower:

But imagine there would be a designer who would be in the business for only a couple of seasons, and would still have a huge effect on the fashion? Is that kind of designer to be considered a one-hit-wonder in compared to designers who go on for longer but never reach the same impact/inviduality?

^^ (2 up) i think your reasoning is justa bit off
although never having a house go backrupt shows he is a good businessman (which he is, he's like the king of self-promotion) but i think the discussion here has more to do with his actual designs and fashion sense
and yes, his stuff is wearable, so is the stuff they sell at walmart. is walmart a good designer?
i would wear his stuff, it's cute, and you're right, very wearable, but there's definately better stuff out there that doesn't get nearly half as much attention as karl's stuff gets
however, chanel and fendi does make some very nice bags so i guess he deserves some credit....

Last edited by a moderator:
seahorseinstripe said:
oh, i know that :P
that's why i love the f/w 2006 collection better, it's more decorative and daring... and the fact that the new designer worked for marni doesn't hurt a bit :rolleyes:
btw, i think i'm not going to say anything about this anymore :P
it's just my private opinion...

actually, the designer who worked with marni will be designing the f/w 2007 collection. someone else did fall 06

But i get your drift. i love marni :heart: :heart: :heart: and although i hate to say this b/c i loved phoebe, i'm very excited about the marni takeover of chloe

karl when he designes for houses but not when its a personal collection. He seems all to willing to take a risk on someone elses name and its becoming a tad tacky

Nicolas Ghesquière, Marc Jacobs, Miuccia Prada and John Galliano are those that come to me. However, I don't think they are bad at all - in fact, I think they really have done some things that were brilliant. But, they are over-rated in that they are not as constantly brilliant and infallible as everyone likes to pretend.
When things are completely weird, shocking or against current trends, they are not necerssarily brilliant and the mark of a new wave - sometimes they're a miss!

WhiteLinen said:
I I have to say I do not like the direction Lagerfeld is taking Chanel, and that is why I do not think of him as one of the most legendary designers
>i dont even find him creatively talented<

Nicolas Ghesquière is a key person for revitalizing the house of Balenciaga, still, I think he is an overrated designer.
>very overrated<

my list is long and doesnt include the very obvious,
please dont hate me for this list...

John Galliano: i can't stand his work at Dior
Olivier Theyskens: excuse me but i find his work too much buzz for nothing
Hussein Chalayan: intellectualism is so yesterday news, i find it 'old', interesting but not modern at all.
DSquared: seriously overrated
Cavalli: no words
Bernhard wilhelm: innocence gone bad
Armani: falling asleep, he's been reworking himself to boredom
Stella McCartney: she really doent deserve the investment
Raf Simmons: great jackets are not enough
Versace: including the Gianni era
Zac Posen: even though he's making an effort he doesnt deserve the glory

and last but not least..
mr Tom Ford: maybe the most overrated of all the above...

My little (haha) list

#1 Marc Jacobs! I don't understand the hype at all. Some of his Marc by Marc Jacobs work is cute, but it still doesn't justify the love.

Zac Posen - I've like one of his collections, that's it.

Tara Subkoff - 'Nuff said.

Stella McCartney - Don't understand the hype at all.

Olivier Theyskens - My favorite things about his collections for Rochas were the hair and makeup.

And this season, Miuccia Prada, for both Prada and Miu Miu. :(

Oh! And as much as I like them, Proenza Schouler. Their S/S 07 collection was seriously hideous :sick: :sick:

stefano pilati: sure, he has a swifty way of reinterpreting ysl classics, but that's about it right there...

the way this thing is going, it seems there will be no successful designer left in fashion who is deserves the credit that is given to her/him.............

^everyone is entitled to their own opinion, one person's opinion is not necessarily the other's... i mean, this is supposed to be a RANT thread, no?

xmodel citizen said:
My little (haha) list

Zac Posen - I've like one of his collections, that's it.

Thing I don't get about Zac P is that he doesn't seem to have a signiture. You don't look at his stuff and regonise anything about him.

arlekindearrabal said:
^everyone is entitled to their own opinion, one person's opinion is not necessarily the other's... i mean, this is supposed to be a RANT thread, no?

well i agree with you that everyone is entitled to thier own opinion.
i would never want to be in an environment where this is not allowed.
However, i think that at times some people do not take time to look seriously at the facts before the formulate an opinion.
there are a few designers whose mannerisms and attitude i dont like , but somehow i manage to separate my personal sentiments from assessing a designers talent/ ratings.
the thing is, all successful designers (by different means) have managed to put themselves in a position to be recognized and appreciated for what they do.
some have recieved more credit than others for various reasons
however i am reluctant to say a designer is overrated because i dont like thier style.

the thing is the same people who say these designers are overrated may just be the ones who give them kudos tomorrow.

i think that one should look at:

1. the designers body of work over time
2. thier success at the retail level
3. the quality of thier products
4. thier ability to innovate and stay relevant
5. the ability to communicate through the clothing (the emotion factor)
6. the designers consistency.

thier are other factors also......... but i think this post is becoming too long

^you know,that's always the way I base certain things. I try and be as analytical as I can when discussing certain subjects as this. If not in words,at least in my own head...lol

But for me,I've really listed based upon what I feel so much disdain for and that's banality and elitism. Alot of times,also,being overrated is a result of this disgusting connection game we've got on.....rather than pure talent. That and if you have all the money in the world it's about advertisments--that buying one's success. Those are aspects that really affect my judgements in design integrity and all I've mentioned either have none or not much at all,imo. Miuccia Prada particularly--I hate to single her out especially but people I feel are truly disillusioned by her and the hype surrounding that company. Besides,looking at things simply,her work just doesn't measure up to me....this lamenting fixation on her as somebody who's supposedly creative,and of ultra quality. I find that false so therefore I find her success truly overrated. It's really when one is held in such high regard but has nothing to show for it.

Scott said:
^you know,that's always the way I base certain things. I try and be as analytical as I can when discussing certain subjects as this. If not in words,at least in my own head...lol

But for me,I've really listed based upon what I feel so much disdain for and that's banality and elitism. Alot of times,also,being overrated is a result of this disgusting connection game we've got on.....rather than pure talent. That and if you have all the money in the world it's about advertisments--that buying one's success. Those are aspects that really affect my judgements in design integrity and all I've mentioned either have none or not much at all,imo. Miuccia Prada particularly--I hate to single her out especially but people I feel are truly disillusioned by her and the hype surrounding that company. Besides,looking at things simply,her work just doesn't measure up to me....this lamenting fixation on her as somebody who's supposedly creative,and of ultra quality. I find that false so therefore I find her success truly overrated. It's really when one is held in such high regard but has nothing to show for it.

i have about four or five of thier shoes. i think those are amazing. but as for the clothes i find them very poorly made. so i can agree with you on this one.

my brother bought some of the clothes once, i didnt buy any as i didnt think they were worth the money ( i make most of my own clothing anyways, only now i am busier so i cant anymore) yes they have used the power of money to help make them relevant. but....... maybe if i had that kind of money i would do the same thing too (exept i wouldnt copromise the quality of the clothing, i rather make less clothing of good quality than a lot with poor quality)
I Can also agree with you on the elitism factor,
i will stop now, as being a designer i think i cannot neccessarily speak with the same perspective as everyone else................

My choice of overrated designers would be:

Proenza Schouler
Marc Jacobs
Zac Posen
Tom Ford
Donatella Versace
Michael Kors

The queen of overrated designers is Stella McCartney. Without the name and connections she would probably be a design assistant at TopShop or H&M.
I really don't get why any of them is famous. :innocent:

Karl Lagerfeld is annoying but he happens to be very talented.

I must disagree with whomever put Phoebe Philo on the list. Imho, she never got the respect or recognition she deserved during her time at Chloe. Women everywhere were wearing her style, whether knockoffs or the real thing, yet she was overshadowed by Stella until almost the very end. I hope she makes a comeback very soon. We need more designers that let their work speak for itself and less "rock star" designers that care more about being famous than designing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkim991905
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->