The New York Times Style Magazine Holiday 2005

DosViolines

far from home...
Reaction score
source: nytimes.com

Scarlett

By LYNN HIRSCHBERG
Published: December 4, 2005

Shopping with Woody Allen would be a nightmare," Scarlett Johansson, who is the director's new favorite actress, said recently. She stars in his movie "Match Point," opening later this month, as an alluring but demanding ingénue, and she recently completed another Allen movie as well. "Woody has a very specific idea about everything," Johansson explained. "And he hates everything I've ever worn. Every dress - he hates. He's extremely fashion-conscious, so I asked him if he would design a gown for me or, at least, pick my outfit for any major 'Match Point' event. I would never want to go shopping with him. He is too particular." Johansson laughed her low, throaty laugh.

It was a chilly Monday afternoon in late October, and the topics were gifts and shopping, the delights and complications of both. Johansson, who is small and curvy, was wearing faded jeans, black Converse All Stars, a low-cut tank top in dark plum and a matching V-neck cardigan. Her blond hair was pulled back in a tight ponytail, and she had a ring pierced between her nostrils. When I met her at the SoHo Grand Hotel, she was curled up in an armchair reading "In Cold Blood," and she looked less like a movie star and more like a college student home for the holidays.

"I love to shop for jewelry," she told me after ordering a turkey burger and fries. "I haunt the jewelry district. For Christmas one year, my father, who is an architect, bought me Victorian bangles, and I became fascinated with old jewelry. I thought, Why not get something that's 1,000 years old and museum quality rather than buying some new bauble at Tiffany's?" On the other hand, she added, "I also love Tiffany's. If you want to make my mother happy, get her that turquoise box."

As a child actor, in movies like "The Horse Whisperer," Johansson would sometimes receive presents from her co-stars. "Robert Redford gave me a silver bracelet, which I cherished," she recalled. "And I haven't gotten anything lately that was like that. The studio will send you a wilting fruit basket or some mediocre Champagne or maybe the newest iPod. Some people get cars - that would be nice, but will they also pay for my parking?" During the filming of "Girl With a Pearl Earring," the author of the book that the movie was based on, Tracy Chevalier, gave her a hand-painted Dutch tile from the 16th century. "That was a really beautiful gift," Johansson said. "Very thoughtful."

As the youngest of four (with her twin brother, Hunter), Johansson, who is 21 but whose poise makes her seem older, inherited a lot of hand-me-downs from her sister. "That's why a gift, which was something that was mine alone, seemed really exciting," she said. "When I was 9, I received the greatest gift ever - a chalkboard. I wrote and wrote. I had it until recently. And a few years ago, my sister, who is an amazing baker, made all of us our own type of cookie. I love Key lime pie, so she invented Key lime pie cookies. They were so tasty."

Last year, Johansson bought herself a Chihuahua and was showered in dog gifts. "On the set of 'The Island,"' Johansson said as she spread mustard on her burger, "Ewan McGregor" - her co-star - "gave me coats and collars and lots of dog toys." Michael Bay, the film's director, has enormous dogs. "He needs them," she said. "He has a lot of enemies." Did Bay give her any gifts? Johansson laughed but politely did not answer.

Having just purchased a new apartment downtown, Johansson was in the market for furnishings. "I don't have anything," she said. "Hopefully, people will buy me a blender. Or a spatula. Or a nice carpet." She has very few possessions and prefers to dress in jeans and sneakers rather than dresses and heels. "I store all my gowns," she said. "I'll probably never wear them again. After an event, they get zipped into a garment bag and sent away. I have very few clothes in my apartment because I can't stand clutter. When I stay in a hotel, I clean the room before the maid comes - you will never find laundry on my floor."

On this day, Johansson was going to hunt for the perfect library chair at an antiques store in Chelsea. "I know the house needs gadgets," she sighed. "But I'm not someone who likes to buy gadgets." She fished in her bag for her phone. "See, I have a simple phone. It's tiny. I have friends who will have on the greatest vintage dress and be carrying the coolest Marc Jacobs purse, and then out comes this huge BlackBerry. I'm just not into that."

She put her half-eaten burger down and placed the plate at a distance. "The perfect gift," she concluded, "is cashmere socks. They are the greatest thing ever. A pair of thick cashmere socks will make anyone happy. I learned this when I bought a pair for myself. Now I give them to everybody." Johansson smiled. "Sometimes you realize that the best presents are the ones you buy for yourself." She went on: "When you're making a movie or if you're working hard at any job, you have to treat yourself. Nobody's really taking care of you, so it's a good idea to buy yourself a piece of jewelry or a cashmere blanket. It's like, I earned this. If you wait around for someone to give you wonderful socks, you may miss out. Shopping is a great way to pat yourself on the back when no one else will."

04scar_slide1.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Raymond Meier[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]The actress Scarlett Hohansson is decked out in a Versace sequined minidress. Available upon request at Versace boutiques. Fashion editor: Tiina Laakkonen.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
04scar_slide2.jpg

spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Scarlett Johansson is holiday-ready in a Stella McCartney dress, $1,585. At Marshall Field’s and Neiman Marcus. Tiffany & Company Majestic Diamond Necklace, $1.3 million, and Diamond Regal Drop Pendant, $2.5 million, each set in platinum. At Tiffany & Company. Beauty note: to attain this look, try M.A.C. lipstick in Viva Glam III and nail polish in Rocker.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
04scar_slide3.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Left: Atelier Versace sequined gown. Available upon request At Versace boutiques. Giuseppe Zanotti design satin mules. Right: Omo Norma Kamali Goddess dress, $495. Go to www.normakamalicollection.com. Fashion associate: Lindha Jacobsson. Fashion assistant: Britt Marie Kittelsen. Hair by Shay Ashual for Cutler/Redken. Makeup by Gianpaolo Ceciliato for M.A.C. Pro at Judy Casey. Manicure by Sofia Ahusterov for M.A.C. Pro at Judy Casey. Set design by Kevin Bird.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
04scar_slide4.jpg

spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Gucci silk tulle empire dress with sequin embroidery, $10,950. At select Gucci stores. Chopard Haute Joaillerie Collection green emerald and pearshaped diamond necklace. Available upon request. Call (800) 246-7273.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Ensemble Dressing
Chew up the scenery this party season in festive full-length gowns.
Photographs by Vik Muniz

04muniz_slide1a.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Photomontage by Vik Muniz[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Oscar de la Renta pleated tulle-and-ruffle gown, $9,900. At Saks Fifth Avenue. Bergdorf Goodman. De Beers diamond bracelet. Fashion editor: Anne Christensen. [/SIZE][/FONT]

04muniz_slide1.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Photomontage by Vik Muniz[/SIZE][/FONT]
spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Carolina Herrera silk jacquard trench ball gown, $6,990. At Carolina Herrera, 954 Madison Avenue. [/SIZE][/FONT]

04muniz_slide2.jpg

spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Viktor & Rolf silk gown with embroidered tulle train. By special order. Call Viktor & Rolf boutique in Milan; 011 39 02 79 6091. [/SIZE][/FONT]

04muniz_slide3.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Alexander Mcqueen silk jacket and bustier dress. To order at Alexander Mcqueen, 417 West 14th Street. Fashion associate: Lindha Jacobsson. Hair by Robert Lyon at Jed Root for Kérastase Paris. Makeup by Jeannia Robinette For Jed Root. Models: Michelle Buswell and Jaunel Mckenzie. [/SIZE][/FONT]

From Dickens to DKNY
Today's wise men are brushing up on the canon.
Photographs by Anthony Goicolea and Richard Orjis

04class_slide2.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Anthony Goicolea and Richard Orjis[/SIZE][/FONT]
spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]From top: Tommy Hilfiger, Gucci, Burberry Prorsum, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Ralph Lauren, DKNY and Tommy Hilfiger Children’s clothing. Fashion editor: Jay Massacret.[/SIZE][/FONT]

04class_slide3.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Anthony Goicolea and Richard Orjis[/SIZE][/FONT]
spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Tommy Hilfiger Children’s blazer, $99, shirt, $40, and shoes. Go to www.tommy.com/kids. What Comes Around Goes Around vintage football shorts and scarf. On shoulders: DKNY cardigan, $295, shirt, $195, and pants, $145. At DKNY stores, 655 Madison Avenue and 420 West Broadway. What Comes Around Goes Around belt.[/SIZE][/FONT]

04class_slide4.jpg

spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Polo by Ralph Lauren coat, $875, sweater, $398, and pants, $75. At Ralph Lauren stores. Louis Vuitton shirt. Opening Ceremony ascot. On shoulders: Marc by Marc Jacobs T-shirt, $88, cardigan, $178, and pants, $190. At Marc by Marc Jacobs stores. DKNY boots.[/SIZE][/FONT]

04class_slide5.jpg

spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Below: Burberry Prorsum shirt, tie and cardigan. Above: Odds riding boots. Fashion assistant: Meghan Scott. Hair by Holli Smith. Makeup by Yuka Washizu for India New York. Casting by Barbara Pfister. Models (from bottom:( Eli Regen, Walker Dehl, Steven Morgan, Steve Keenan, Johnny Black, Pascal Pelat and Alexander Kaletski. Location: House of the Redeemer- Fabbri Mansion, 7 East 95th Street.[/SIZE][/FONT]

04class_slide6.jpg

spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Tommy Hilfiger Crest Collection coat, $250, vest, $85, shirt, $65, and pants, $98. Go to www.tommy.com. What Comes Around Goes Around whistle. Opposite, center: Gucci shirt, $1,255, and pants, $585. Go to www.gucci.com. DKNY scarf. What Comes Around Goes Around bow tie and cummerbund.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I liked much the editorial of Scaret J. thanks for posting:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessy1982
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->