The Official "I Did NOT Get In and I Need Some Encouragement!" Thread

A bit off-topic..but I have a question.

Do universities/ colleges judge and determine who will be accepted based on just your first term marks? or will they wait to see your second term mid-terms before making decisions?

Do universities/ colleges judge and determine who will be accepted based on just your first term marks? or will they wait to see your second term mid-terms before making decisions?

as far as i know, private universities only take your 9th-11th grade into consideration, and then they want to see your class load for your senior schedule (so you should still take pretty challenging classes still). for UC's it's only 10th-11th that are taken into consideration. since the first semester doesn't end until after 20 weeks (late january/early february, at least in my school) then it will be rather late for you to turn in your final marks for colleges/unis to see. everyone i know has been notified by spring by the colleges/unis they applied to, so it would be extremely unlikely for their 12th grade marks to be reviewed by their colleges/unis.

Are you from Canada?

They look at your first term marks to decide to grant you a conditional offer or not and if you're not up to par by then you will have to wait until the end of the year to see if you qualify or not. If your average by the end of the year is good enough you may be accepted provided theres space. By then it's a slower process because you will have to wait during the summer and won't be guaranteed anything. I know someone who didn't meet the grade requirements at one Canadian school by the conditional date and didn't know if he was accepted or not until a week before class started.

I actually don't know of anyone who's received such a letter from the university, only a few seniors who stopped going to class or something similar and received strict warnings from the high school. They all turned out fine, and I believe, since your advisor caught the problem mid-semester, the university will not even hear about it. Actually, wait, don't know if quarter grades are sent; I went to a semester school. But nevertheless, as long as you bring up the grade to a respectable C or B (and advisor should really talk to the teacher too if bringing up the grade might be an issue--mercy for your last semester!), it would be very unreasonable, and very unlikely, for the school to rescind your acceptance. Especially considering that by applying ED you've committed yourself.

Yeah, same here. Most of my friends who got into college early admission kept the bare minimum- as in B's and C's- for the rest of their high career. In fact, one guy I knew said his senior year was the first year he ever made anything other than straight A's, and he was making mostly C's and a few B's.

I didn't get in to LCF either... Just found out as well :(

I only applied for the BA Fashion Promotion course so I don't have a plan B. Gooooooood I feel like punching someone. Any volunteers?

:cry:

Argh that is what I did, it is rubbish because I don't even know why I didn't i.e what I did/say wrong or just because of competition.

When was your interview?

I'm so sad:(

are you guys gonna have the "the official I might get in but i dont know if i can afford it" thread anytime soon?

:rolleyes: :rofl:

Wow, I can't believe how difficult it is to get into University in the US. Sorry to hear that you guys didn't make it.

Here in the Netherlands it's so much easier. You can get into any University unless you want to study Medicine or something like that. And also our tuition isn't that high, around $1700, and the government also helps students out by supporting them financially with a monthly amount of money (depends on your parents income) and a free traveling card by public transportation. AND you don't even have to pay it back, just as long as you graduate.

Anyway... I wish you all the best :flower:

U.S. universities take your first quarter marks of senior year if you're applying early but there is the agreement that they can rescind you if your grades deteriorate after your acceptance. They receive your first semester marks after they accept you as well as midterms. Regular decision applicants have the 1st semester taken into account. :heart::flower:

I received an email today that I didn't get into the Conde Nast Summer Intern Program I was a little sad because that mainly means I will have to say at the high end fashion magazine I am interning for thru the summer.

Wow, I can't believe how difficult it is to get into University in the US. Sorry to hear that you guys didn't make it.

Here in the Netherlands it's so much easier. You can get into any University unless you want to study Medicine or something like that. And also our tuition isn't that high, around $1700, and the government also helps students out by supporting them financially with a monthly amount of money (depends on your parents income) and a free traveling card by public transportation. AND you don't even have to pay it back, just as long as you graduate.

Anyway... I wish you all the best :flower:

yeh my friend lives in Holland, and she's already guaranteed a position. i think that system works a lot better than our American system. i guess the American system fosters a lot of competition, which is good, but nowadays it's becoming so difficult as more and more students are getting top marks. it's like, what else do we have to do to get in? my friend had top marks, tons of AP classes, extra curricular activities, president for three consecutive years and she didn't get accepted to any of her first choice universities. :(

I got rejected from Central Saint Martins:yuk:
I cried when I heard it on phone ( the chick on the line was bitchy moreover ), but life goes on. I'm young, creative, alive ! Since this phone call, I'm working hard and improving my skills

yeh my friend lives in Holland, and she's already guaranteed a position. i think that system works a lot better than our American system. i guess the American system fosters a lot of competition, which is good, but nowadays it's becoming so difficult as more and more students are getting top marks. it's like, what else do we have to do to get in? my friend had top marks, tons of AP classes, extra curricular activities, president for three consecutive years and she didn't get accepted to any of her first choice universities. :(

Yes the American system was designed to foster competition, unfortunately now I think there is such a large amount of students who attend university (compared to when the system was created and upgraded) that it doesn't work so well. You're right though. There gets to be a point where it is simply a numbers game. There are 100 spaces and 1,000 people with top marks, top SAT's, excellent recs, lots of ec's, etc. and it truly is just random.

This abundance of students is why, imo, you see a lot state schools and other private universities emerging at top universities. Because the Ivies and the others just have so many applicants and so few spaces that people spill over to other schools and I think you see a lot more good univerisities in the US than say even 15 years ago.

Yes the American system was designed to foster competition, unfortunately now I think there is such a large amount of students who attend university (compared to when the system was created and upgraded) that it doesn't work so well. You're right though. There gets to be a point where it is simply a numbers game. There are 100 spaces and 1,000 people with top marks, top SAT's, excellent recs, lots of ec's, etc. and it truly is just random.

This abundance of students is why, imo, you see a lot state schools and other private universities emerging at top universities. Because the Ivies and the others just have so many applicants and so few spaces that people spill over to other schools and I think you see a lot more good univerisities in the US than say even 15 years ago.

that's very true. i find American primary and secondary schools inadequate (for the most part) in comparison to schools in other countries, but in my opinion, America is possibly one of the best if not the best place to attend university in. the achievement of American students has gone to an all time high that now there are also talks that AP classes would not be taken as university/credit any longer at various institutions, because during High School, their admitted students had taken massive amounts of AP classes and outside College classes. It would make sense to do so, because the universities are losing money for every credit that is taken during HS. not only that but a bachelor's degree is worth nothing nowadays (which is probably good news for the people who didn't get into their first choice schools). usually it would be seen as an achievement to get a bachelor's degree, but now employer's are looking for a master's degree as well. i guess that would mean that which college your bachelor's degree came from wouldn't matter, but where your master's would so college stress isn't over until you're hired now :cry:
also on a totally random note, i think SAT scores shouldn't be considered any longer :lol: they aren't designed to show the admissions people that you are intelligent or can get a 2400, they're only designed to show, statistically your chances of graduating from a 4 year college/university. it doesn't make much sense, because i know dedicated and smart people who do awful in comparison to students who do well but are such slackers in school. after 2010 SAT II Subject Test are not going to be taken into account any longer. shameee:doh:

I got rejected from Central Saint Martins
yuk.gif

I cried when I heard it on phone ( the chick on the line was bitchy moreover ), but life goes on. I'm young, creative, alive ! Since this phone call, I'm working hard and improving my skills
really sorry about CSM ILoveDiorHomme. hopefully you got into the rest of your applied schools.

are you guys gonna have the "the official I might get in but i dont know if i can afford it" thread anytime soon?

:rolleyes: :rofl:

SERIOUSLY!! My joy was overcome with sheer panic when i looked at the numbers.

Your right about that. There are a lot of great state schools out there. They also offer great scholarship money to lure top students with great scores. I would have died if I applied to an American school. :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
that's very true. i find American primary and secondary schools inadequate (for the most part) in comparison to schools in other countries, but in my opinion, America is possibly one of the best if not the best place to attend university in. the achievement of American students has gone to an all time high that now there are also talks that AP classes would not be taken as university/credit any longer at various institutions, because during High School, their admitted students had taken massive amounts of AP classes and outside College classes. It would make sense to do so, because the universities are losing money for every credit that is taken during HS. not only that but a bachelor's degree is worth nothing nowadays (which is probably good news for the people who didn't get into their first choice schools). usually it would be seen as an achievement to get a bachelor's degree, but now employer's are looking for a master's degree as well. i guess that would mean that which college your bachelor's degree came from wouldn't matter, but where your master's would so college stress isn't over until you're hired now :cry:
also on a totally random note, i think SAT scores shouldn't be considered any longer
lol.gif
they aren't designed to show the admissions people that you are intelligent or can get a 2400, they're only designed to show, statistically your chances of graduating from a 4 year college/university. it doesn't make much sense, because i know dedicated and smart people who do awful in comparison to students who do well but are such slackers in school. after 2010 SAT II Subject Test are not going to be taken into account any longer. shameee
doh.gif

BAWLS :cry::cry::cry:

That's why I am REALLY gunning to go to Sarah Lawrence... I can't sit down and take a standardized test for the life of me, but I am more dedicated than quite a few people I know that do super well on those test. I always choke up on big tests. :doh:

That, and the fact that a great many people can afford fancy SAT prep classes, while some of us have to fight the fire with a Barron's SAT Prep Book and multiple Frappucinos. :innocent:

That's why I am REALLY gunning to go to Sarah Lawrence... I can't sit down and take a standardized test for the life of me, but I am more dedicated than quite a few people I know that do super well on those test. I always choke up on big tests. :doh:

That, and the fact that a great many people can afford fancy SAT prep classes, while some of us have to fight the fire with a Barron's SAT Prep Book and multiple Frappucinos. :innocent:
AMEN!
especially Elite SAT prep

You'd be surprised how awful those Prep classes are. Two of my friends took it for a few weeks to prepare for the SAT, they both got the same score on the tests. And it was a HORRIBLE score. Whereas I didn't take the SAT prep classes, choke up on big tests as well, and scored higher than them. I don't think it's possible to study for them and those classes are money in the garbage. So don't be too discouraged. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->