The Row : from Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avant Garde said:
The jacket is very nice, and this looks like a good indication of what's to come. Maybe the olsen twins would do better in the fashion world instead of being second rate actresses. I wonder what the pricing would be?

agreed!

The prices are ridiculous. Guess I won't be getting anything... :(

Another uninspired, pointless celebrity line *rolls eyes*. Anyone could've designed that stuff, its not special and the prices are absurd. Some people will buy anything though!

i like it! and i have just seen some of there new line today,its going to be epic!

I love it, it is so simple and clean and wearable. I wish I had the money to get a piece, it's my only problem with it haha.

<3Thefrenchy said:
Worldwide distribution for The Row has also expanded to include 10 Corso Como in Milan, Maria Luisa in Paris, Harvey Nichols in London, Jeffrey in Atlanta, Isetan in Tokyo, DNA in Saudi Arabia and Holt Renfrew in Toronto and Vancouver. Previously, their collection was only found at Barneys New York across the U.S. and Maxfield in Los Angeles.
- just-jared

Wow, that's an all-star list of retailers. And you know, the clothes are pretty nice. But, didn't the interview mention something about Rick Owens.....:innocent:

Mutterlein said:
Wow, that's an all-star list of retailers. And you know, the clothes are pretty nice. But, didn't the interview mention something about Rick Owens.....:innocent:

what did it mention about Rick Owens?

one of the twins mentions wearing a Rick Owens jacket. Owens is really strong in jersey knits and jackets, interestingly enough The Row is made up of jersey knits and jackets. hmmmm...

^So they're inspired by Rick Owens, big deal. If it wasn't the Olsen's line and The Row was introduced into stores people would be falling all over themselves with compliments instead of complaining that it seems uninspired and too expensive. They created a line that mirrors their own personal style, and they wear a lot of Rick Owens themselves so it isn't surprising that the row has similarities to that. As someone said before this was clearly a line that is targeted to their friends and girls like their friends who obviously have a high dispoasble income and a strong interest in fashion and Ashley herself even said in WWD that she didn't care if the line sold..it was a fun side project for herself.

The Olsen's already have a low-end, cheap line that obviously can't reflect who they are as adult women since it's targeted to 11 year olds. And why should they have to sacrifice their vision of what they want to make in order to please the mass-market? That's not what true fashion is about.

I really feel that The Row is very differant from other celebrity lines, as they're actually the ones designing and styling it, they don't star in the ads themselves, they've spoken very little about it and the interviews they've given have (mostly) only been to fashion magazines that cater to a certain clientale, it's not MK&A FASHION, it's exclusive and expensive and high quality. Which the majority of celebrity fashion lines certainly are not. They're just designed by someone, stamped with approval by the star, and the star's name is liscenced out to the manufactuer, etc. It's not personal. but the row is. I don't understand why so many people are having trouble understanding this.

Sorry, super long rant but I just had to get it off my chest.

I think it's interesting that they sugges that it's completely self financed. or maybe they are saying they are very very few investors. either way, that is a HUGE risk in the investment world. It says to me that they believe what they are doing because this sort of venture can just DRAIN money. anyway.

To me, it's cute. Thats all i can say about it. Is it nice? yes of course it is. And while i agree it's very 'clean' to me it really is suited to them and their friends and that makes me wonder why even bother doing it? It's not a very 'universal' collection. I think you could look at rick owens (doing yes, very similar things) and put it on any one and you could see that it work. To me this is very reflective of the hollywood lifestyle and shape. It works best on leaner sihlouettes, the pricing is high, the tops are sheer. I'm not saying you couldn't see this on a girl in London or Dubai, I certainly could, but it's not universal in the fashion sense if you understand what I mean. That said, i like their color palette.

The clothes are good, but then you have to decide if you in fact want this or something oh so very similar from Rick Owens (for about the same price and perhaps better quality?). I'd really like to see the inside of these jackets.

I think w<e should wait a little to see the other pieces which -i hope- will come soon, before screaming "OOOH THATS NOT ORIGINAL" and blah blah. Is it too expensive ? No. Its - i guess - luxury and have you seen cheap things when you buy high quality clothes ? I've never.

KaraDanielle11 said:
^
I really feel that The Row is very differant from other celebrity lines, as they're actually the ones designing and styling it, they don't star in the ads themselves, they've spoken very little about it and the interviews they've given have (mostly) only been to fashion magazines that cater to a certain clientale, it's not MK&A FASHION, it's exclusive and expensive and high quality. Which the majority of celebrity fashion lines certainly are not. They're just designed by someone, stamped with approval by the star, and the star's name is liscenced out to the manufactuer, etc. It's not personal. but the row is. I don't understand why so many people are having trouble understanding this.

agree, i couldnt say it better... that impression it´s what makes the line worthy to be paying attention at it

female.first.co.uk

Olsen Twins Latest Clothing Collection

2nd May 2007 20:34:53
Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen’s clothing range is available exclusively in Harvey Nichols from July 25th.
The Row range is a collection of knitted cardigans, jackets, shirts and skinny jeans and is in its second season.
Joanna Jeffreys, press events and fashion manager at Harvey Nichols is impressed by the twins’ knowledge of fashion and the quality of the range.
She told vogue:" I really didn't expect the twins themselves to be there but Ashley showed buyers through every single piece. Her intricate knowledge and obvious passion for the cut, fabric, colour and tailoring of each garment was impressive."
"She and Mary-Kate even modelled some of the clothes for us to show the shapes and fall of the material."
"I was incredibly pleased with what we saw - the pieces are very wearable for women with varying shapes and styles."

"The Row is certainly going to have a prominent position in the store and we're expecting to sell well." Patricia Johnson

I'm so happy those clothes will finally be available all around the world! I really want to see the collection in real life but I don't live in the States. Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kittyofsecrets
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->