The Row : from Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
exactly kuba...
comparing ashley's white tuxedo jacket to ysl's dress is ridiculous...
do you know how many designers do tuxedo jackets? :lol:
it could be a copy of ralph, calvin, etc....

ashley's black tuxedo dress isn't the same as the ysl one either...except for the fact that it's double breasted...
if anything, irina's dress (by phillip lim) looks more like the ysl one...

yes, m-k's white dress from the cfda's is elizabeth & james, not the row...
i think it is based on a vintage design she owns...

Inspiration ?

mka-euphoria.net

ashy1cz8.jpg

Madame.lefigaro.fr
gaultier_retro30_083.jpg

The difference betwwen french Haute Couture and brands like The Row is...obvious.

I think it is a little unfair to claim the Row is taking any more influence from other designers than any line does. Rick Owens and James Perse didn't invent sheer cotton tees (in fact, JP didn't even use cuts and fabrics similar to the Row until very recently), Stefano Pilati didn't invent the tuxedo blazer dress, etc. It is the challenge of the contemporary designer to make things fit into their basic ideology and aesthetic and make it feel modern, because everything has been done before. I think they have weeded things out well and put together an incredible, wearable, basic line. They do not claim to be groundbreaking, but I think the line has the potential to fill an incredible void in the market place. There is no collection out there---in this price point or others--- that has put together a perfect sampling of quality, chic, basics, and The Row looks like it will do so. They do need to widen distribution, I think, to really make an influence, but they are headed in the right direction.

On the note of designer influence---it is of note that the many 'real' designers have openly admitted to being influenced by both the girls' personal style---so would it be so wrong if it was a two way street?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is a little unfair to claim the Row is taking any more influence from other designers than any line does. Rick Owens and James Perse didn't invent sheer cotton tees (in fact, JP didn't even use cuts and fabrics similar to the Row until very recently), Stefano Pilati didn't invent the tuxedo blazer dress, etc. It is the challenge of the contemporary designer to make things fit into their basic ideology and aesthetic and make it feel modern, because everything has been done before. I think they have weeded things out well and put together an incredible, wearable, basic line. They do not claim to be groundbreaking, but I think the line has the potential to fill an incredible void in the market place. There is no collection out there---in this price point or others--- that has put together a perfect sampling of quality, chic, basics, and The Row looks like it will do so. They do need to widen distribution, I think, to really make an influence, but they are headed in the right direction.

I totally agree with you MJCouture...

On the note of designer influence---it is of note that the many 'real' designers have openly admitted to being influenced by both the girls' personal style---so would it be so wrong if it was a two way street?

though I don't think Jean-Paul GAULTIER is influenced by the Olsen twins. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I hate to admit...I think I want some thing from The Row :ninja:

In June Vogue Paris (Catherine McNeil cover) there is a small thing about them...Mary Kate is making this obnoxious fish kiss face and she is wearing a striped shirt. Is the shirt The Row? Sorry I do not have a picture.

The fabrics are like casual luxury, don't know if that could be use as a sentence together but I want want want but cannot afford it at this time, maybe when I find a millionaire lover.

is this collection going to be near/in boston?

I keep hoping so, avantgarde!!! I haven't been into Barneys at Copley in a while but the last time I went the sales girl acted like she had no clue what I was talking about when I asked for The Row and when I said it was MK&A's high end line she acted like I was a complete dope who belonged at Walmart. :cry: I hate snotty sales people so much!!! I keep expecting to hear that LouisBoston will be carrying The Row or Elizabeth & James but so far nothing.

this hasn't been posted but i don't know if the information is new :blush:

The trend-setting power of the Olsens is undeniable and pervasive. Like some other major fashion figures we can think of—Kate Moss, Sienna Miller—they create their own, utterly unique ways of dressing. When Ashley and Mary Kate launched The Row last year (their self-funded line), naturally the world took notice. Vogue dedicated some major real estate to the story and praised the collection of 28 knitwear basics. Originally, you could only find The Row at Barneys New York stores and at Maxfield in Los Angeles, but we’ve got some great news. The Row is now available online through London’s Browns Fashion, making this exclusivity a little less elusive...

While it might seem gasp-inducing to think of paying more than $300 for a t-shirt, we must assure you that The Row’s pieces are of exceptional quality. (Also, the prices are lower Stateside.) The t-shirts have a single seam, resulting in a nearly haute couture-like fit. We know this might sound crazy, but it’s like the shirts have an intuitive knowledge about where to cling and where to drape on any body.

Fans like Selma Blair, Kirsten Dunst, and the Traina sisters all support the line. Vanessa Traina wore a shirt by The Row, paired with vintage YSL, for a Vionnet dinner in New York while Selma Blair has been spotted in the line’s skinny, high-waisted pants. The Row has been equally popular with regular retail clients as well. In fact, due to the success of the spring items, the designers have expanded the fall collection to nearly twice as many pieces. The Row will also be available at major international stores as well, including 10 Corso Como (Milan), Maria Luisa (Paris), Harvey Nichols (London), and Isetan (Tokyo).

For those who love the look of The Row but don’t have quite the budget, just wait a few months for the Olsens’ new line. Fall will bring an upcoming, lower-priced line from the twins called Elizabeth and James (named after their younger siblings). Check it out this August at Neiman Marcus, Intermix, and Bergdorf Goodman, or get a sneak peak now on Mary Kate (above, right) who wore an E&J white dress to the CFDA awards in early June. Just so we're clear that they're not playing favorites, that night Ashley (above, left) wore The Row.

Dolman Dress, $740, brownsfashion.com
This black dress is made of open model knit, with a round neck and long batwing sleeves.

V-Neck T-Shirts, $315 each, brownsfashion.com
Available in black, grey, and white, this classic cut, modal, v-neck hits the hips.

Low Scooped Neck Tank Top, $250, brownsfashion.com
The rounded neck in front and back give the simple tank a slight sexiness. Choose from pale grey or white.

source: http://www.whowhatweardaily.com/website/home.php

karadanielle, i think our barneys in boston is too small to carry the row. they can order anything though!

elizabeth and james might be available at the niemans in copley in boston. if that store isnt carrying it, they may be able to order it for you. they really need to diferentiate between themselves and saks. right now there is too much overlap in the contemporary department.

I came across this - Kirsten Dunst is wearing the white singlet here:

kikinn9.jpg

celeb-city

is brownsfashion.com the only place to get it online? We dont have a Barney's here in DC.

Kirsten's shirt doesn't look like it cost any more than a shirt from the Gap. I'm not seeing any extraordinary fit. There is no way around it. People are paying $300 bucks for a t-shirt. Great fitting t-shirts with good quality can be found at lesser prices. Were these not made by the Olsens I don't think people would pay that kind of money for something that looks like it costs $50 tops to the layperson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paintnitelife
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->