The Significance of Opening/Closing a Show

papa_levante

oh! darling
Reaction score
It's the outfit that looks best to open and it's whichever model it looked best on. (True?)

Do designers actually want certain models to step out first/last? Do they reserve outfits for models they have in mind to open/close?

I can see where first to step out is a big deal, but not last. (Although there is the saing, "Save the best for last.")

I've always looked at it as the 2 models who open and close the shows serve as muses for the designer for that particular collection.

It also opens the doors to the model (if she is a newbie) because the industry will instantly commend her if she opens for Balenciaga or a designer of that level.

:flower:

BUMP!

Tell me more. I think what r_r_r is saying may be true. I do believe it on some level. :flower:

But isn't it just the luck of the draw? It's the model that gets the opening outfit because she looks good in it? (Did I just answer my own question? :lol:)

Another BUMP! (My last attempt.)

I know a lot of tFSers have something to say about this.
Or is it just something I imagined up because I think too much? :lol::doh:

I have always thought similarly Papa (like usual) =)

I see who opens/closes every show. especially on tfs when people judge based on who opened/closed the most shows each season. But it doesnt really make a difference IMO

Even the shows I have seen personally (MarcJ) it does not seem to be a significant factor

It matters to an extent. The deisgner will usually put the model they like best that season to open or close the show. Opening and closing just makes you more important than the restof the models in the show, signifying that you are "special"....thus more important and a "must have" model. Better yet if you open or close a very important show like Prada. Better yet if you open and close Miu Miu to in the same season like Suvi Koponen did. Everyone goes crazy..

I always thought it's like they are "leading the pack." And always seen first and if they close, you notice them the most because they are the last person you see. And the opener starts the show off. I also think they have the best outfit on.

I also think it has to do with people and their short concentration levels. You would think the designer would want to put his best out first. Outfit wise and then it could also fall over to model wise. It makes you want to watch for more when you see a good opener and then closing, I guess it's just the one that might stick better in your memory. Maybe this might be more clothing wise but the model is the one wearing the clothing, so I guess this could be for both.

^ I agree with everyone. With such short attention-spans these days, the designers want to make a quick impression by giving the 1st model the best outfit.

The people watching the shows may only remember the 1st and last outfits.

:lol:

I don't know...Valentina has opened Ralph Lauren's shows for years now and a couple of her outfits have been very bland indeed... :(

The people watching the shows may only remember the 1st and last outfits.

:lol:

:blush:
i can attest to this.
i've been to shows...
i admit i only remember the 1st and the last outfits.
unless...
a model catches my eye in between...
my attention span is rather limited.
:hardhead:

.... it's only coming back to style.com or here
do i actually get a good look at the outfits of prior shows i've been at.
:angel:

i've always thought that the first and last models are the stars of the runway for that particular show. they get to wear the best outfits and get to open and close, meaning that they are the first and last impressions, (and they do say that you have to make a good first impression.) i seem to think that opening the show is more important than closing, though. and it must mean a heck of a lot among the models, too, i mean... just look at what usually happens with prada models that open and/or close? a lot of them blow up because of it.

i'll never, ever forget when coco rocha opened jean paul gaultier's f/w 2007 show in february of 2007 while step dancing. :lol: i loved it, and she has become a favorite of mine ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've always thought that the first and last models are the stars of the runway for that particular show. they get to wear the best outfits and get to open and close, meaning that they are the first and last impressions, (and they do say that you have to maker a good first impression.) i seem to think that opening the show is more important than closing, though. and it must mean a heck of a lot among the models, too, i mean... just look at what usually happens with prada models that open and/or close? a lot of them blow up because of it.

Not necessarily. Some girls walk three times versus an opener or closer who may walk once or twice. Not only that, but the best outfits is highly subjective. I've seen shows up with hideous things. :lol: I think it's just the order in which the designer puts the oufits. For example, with Bottega Veneta, Tomas Maier and team stratify the outfits in sets that are styled similarly and complimentary in color. Girls are then fitted in them to see who looks the best in any given outfit: that's typical, outfits are chosen through the fittings except in the cases where the opener is a set in stone thing: ie, Valentina for Ralph, but I believe most houses decide who is opening by who looks best in the opening outfit.

Furthermore, most girls don't know they're opening or closing until they arrive for the show. First face is always good, but depending on the show, closing can be as important: final outfit to lead the walk out, the final statement. The closing outfit is usually the swansong of the entire collection. Like the build up.

Not necessarily. Some girls walk three times versus an opener or closer who may walk once or twice. Not only that, but the best outfits is highly subjective. I've seen shows up with hideous things. :lol: I think it's just the order in which the designer puts the oufits. For example, with Bottega Veneta, Tomas Maier and team stratify the outfits in sets that are styled similarly and complimentary in color. Girls are then fitted in them to see who looks the best in any given outfit: that's typical, outfits are chosen through the fittings except in the cases where the opener is a set in stone thing: ie, Valentina for Ralph, but I believe most houses decide who is opening by who looks best in the opening outfit.

Furthermore, most girls don't know they're opening or closing until they arrive for the show. First face is always good, but depending on the show, closing can be as important: final outfit to lead the walk out, the final statement. The closing outfit is usually the swansong of the entire collection. Like the build up.

in the case, i think it would also depend on the designer. i don't really think there is a definite layout that every designer uses when they lay out their show. some designers may choose their best as the opening and closing outfits. i can say that in 80% of the shows that i always make sure to watch, the opening and closing pieces are what stun me and are most memorable to me. the designers, they probably want to go in with a wow, and out with a wow. and being chosen to wear those outfits? that has to be a big, big thing. i can't picture being a model that walks inbetween and walks more than the closing or opening models being any more important. but then again, that's simply my opinion. if being first and last didn't matter, i don't think that the prada openers and closers would be such a big deal.

i guess, the way that i see it... designers choose the order in which their collections are going to be shown on the runway, and most designers choose their best outfits to open and close. (that's just my opinion. but then again, it all depend's on everyone's personal taste because none of us really know what the designers are thinking when the order is set up.) the designs aren't made and chosen based on the models. on the flip side, the models are chosen based on the designs and the fittings. and to be the model chosen to wear the opening and closing design, if in fact it is the design that the designer feels is/are the big wow-er of the collection... that has to be a great honor.

I don't think so. Girls wow in the middle of the shows, too. For example, Tomas liked how much Inguna looked in her outfit for Bottega FW06 that he chose her for the campaign and that outfit was the first one he showed. It is often not the opening or closing outfits that make it into the campaigns either, which are meant to highlight the collection and show its wearability and purchasability, so I'd think.

No where did I say the designs are made and chosen by the models, you might want to read. It varies on every designer, but in my experience, talking to girls and being there, sometimes outfits shift and change right before a show: a girl doesn't make it time, the shoes don't fit, and people get switched around. The design chooses the right girl. Sometimes the girl is chosen first to be the first face - often Prada works that way, but it isn't the most important thing to be first face or last face in terms of career. Prada has a distinct significance, yes, but how many girls open/close a show and don't land the campaign?

Also certain cuts don't look right on girls. Like I said, I was speaking from Bottega Veneta, which I am intimately close with on their process. Each house is different. I know the lineup is established by the outfits going in a coherent manner and then at fittings girls try on different ones and Tomas chooses who he thinks looks best in each. If you'd read my post more thoroughly you'd have seen that I specified it. But you cannot say the best outfit opens or closes a show, that's your opinion. Stylists and designers work together on the outfits. I often find I like things that didn't open or close more.

^ no where did i intend to say that you said that the outfits are chosen by the models, hence my, "i guess, the way i see it..." in other words, that's just my personal opinion. in my opinion, every designer works differently and in my opinion, i often like the opening and closing designs the very best. so i suppose it also depends on the viewers personal choice and what they feel is beautiful and what isn't.

and...

:blush:
i can attest to this.
i've been to shows...
i admit i only remember the 1st and the last outfits.
unless...
a model catches my eye in between...
my attention span is rather limited.
:hardhead:

.... it's only coming back to style.com or here
do i actually get a good look at the outfits of prior shows i've been at.
:angel:

i do the same thing. :lol:

I guess I just really love the art behind design and fashion and pay attention to every outfit whether I'm there or looking at the collections from my computer. When there, man, I get swallowed by each look. I truly love the craftsmanship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJC
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->