The Best Debut Season of a Model

Mercury6181

Reaction score
I’m not sure if there’s a thread like this already but seeing some newcomers having great debuts this season made me think about my favorite or best debut seasons of a model. What are your favorite debut seasons of a model?

For me, it would be Arizona Muse whose debut season was S/S 2011. Her NYFW debut was opening and closing BCBG Max Azria and although still somewhat unknown she walked for Marc Jacobs, Altuzarra and Proenza Schouler. In Milan she had a Prada exclusive where she opened AND closed the show, a huge deal for any model let alone a newcomer. In Paris she walked all the big shows such as Chanel, Saint Laurent (C), Balenciaga, Dior, Sofia Rykiel, Louis Vuitton, Chloé (O) and Miu Miu (O and C) In total she walked 16 shows in Paris, opening 6 and closing 2. In the overall season she walked 29 shows (O: 8, C: 5) her debut season scored her an Italian Vogue cover, campaigns for Prada and YSL as well as YSL Beauty and editorials for American Vogue, British Vogue, Vogue China, Vogue Italia, Vogue Paris, Love Magazine and Self Service!

What debut season or seasons of a model or models are your favorite in terms of being beneficial and getting their name out there?

Most recently, Mona Tougaard comes to mind. Campaigns for Prada, LV, Chanel, Max Mara, and Loewe with selective shows in Europe is no small feat.

But I feel like a lot of the top models nowadays start out as brand exclusives so it's hard to find models that sweep every major brand in their debut season (eg. Rianne, Sora with LV, Kris G and Anok with Prada, Adut with SL, and even Vitto started out with D&G).

Last edited:
Somewhere around 2005/06 when one of my favorite runway models emerged - Tanya Dziahileva! I believe it was S/S 2006 when she closed Prada. Instantly iconic, such a strong presence and her walk was amazing. I really miss her!

I remember Ali Stephens having an amazing debut Prada exclusive. Balenciaga, Givenchy. Chloe campaign and all of the CK4 stuff.
'
IDK if this counts but Meghan Collison made huge waves despite not being a runway girl. Her editorial credits in 2007 as a newbie is still something to note.

I like this thread. There are so many more fabulous girls to highlight.

I remember Ali Stephens having an amazing debut Prada exclusive. Balenciaga, Givenchy. Chloe campaign and all of the CK4 stuff.
'.

My first favorite model...interesting how the careers of the CK4 have developed. It's too bad Ali as a model kinda fizzled out

Do some of you guys remember Julia Saner?
Such an amazing Beauty. Her first real season was S/S11 and she started it in MIlan with Gucci. Fendi, Max Mara, Cavalli and many more shows followed.

In Paris she slayed it with appearances at Louis Vuitton, Givenchy, Alexander McQueen, Chanel, Dior and many more. And she also opened the Valentino Show, starred later in the campaigns for Valentino and Gucci, Mulberry and more. She was THE girl of the season.

Sadly she stopped modelling in 2011. Does somebody know what happend to her??
Miss her.

^I remember her. I liked her
I think she quit to focus on her studies ? I think she didn't like the industry so much either

Catherine McNeil had a pretty spectacular debut season. Because word got out that Testino had shot her for multiple projects and even put her on exclusive if I remember correctly. She was also one of those girls who just showed up looking like a star already, blending in with the veterans. I think she opened and/or closed at least five shows in Milan and then absolutely exploded in Paris, walking everything and opening Givenchy and McQueen among others.

Catherine McNeil had a pretty spectacular debut season. Because word got out that Testino had shot her for multiple projects and even put her on exclusive if I remember correctly. She was also one of those girls who just showed up looking like a star already, blending in with the veterans. I think she opened and/or closed at least five shows in Milan and then absolutely exploded in Paris, walking everything and opening Givenchy and McQueen among others.
She really is a star. But I remember when her print work with Testino came out for the first time, she got a lot of harsh critiques for being too one dimensional.

Do some of you guys remember Julia Saner?
Such an amazing Beauty. Her first real season was S/S11 and she started it in MIlan with Gucci. Fendi, Max Mara, Cavalli and many more shows followed.

In Paris she slayed it with appearances at Louis Vuitton, Givenchy, Alexander McQueen, Chanel, Dior and many more. And she also opened the Valentino Show, starred later in the campaigns for Valentino and Gucci, Mulberry and more. She was THE girl of the season.

Sadly she stopped modelling in 2011. Does somebody know what happend to her??
Miss her.
I think she got tired of trying fit the clothing and felt it was unhealthy for her. She tried to break into acting for a bit.

^ yes, that was the case then. The last i heard that she has kids now - and experimented with stage acting. and seemed much more happier.

Julia Saner was so striking on the runway and her debut season was indeed amazing! I'm extremely glad that she's happier now though <3

My favorite debut seasons for models number too many...some that immediately come to mind are Daria Werbowy, Gemma Ward, Liu Wen, the Irina Kulikova-Anabela Belikova & Alana Zimmer-Alyona Osmanova pairs, Joan Smalls, Ali Stephens, Anna Selezneva, Emily Baker, Sasha Luss, Nathan Westling, Yasmin Wijnaldum, Selena Forrest, Fran Summers...

For male models, Tae Min Park come to mind.
Prada, Dior, Calvin Klein exclusives followed by campaigns for Prada, Dior, Isabel Marant, CK, G.Givenchy.

I'd say this is their breakthrough season because a lot if not all of the girls start months or even years before they get their big break:

Gisele Bundchen - F/W 1999
Daria Werbowy - S/S 2004
Gemma Ward - F/W 2005
Hilary Rhoda - F/W 2006
Joan Smalls - S/S 2011
Cara Delevingne - S/S 2013
Andreea Diaconu - F/W 2013

These are on my mind right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members