What is the Significance of Walking Prada?

Update!

F/W 2013
Opener: Amanda Murphy
Next 8 Girls: Catherine McNeil, Mariacarla Boscono, Lisa Verberght, Elise Smidt, Liisa Winkler, Jessa Brown, Adriana Lima, Magdalena Frackowiak
Closer: Amanda Murphy

First time a girl opened and closed Prada since Arizona for S/S 2011. Lots of established, old Prada favorites like Liisa Winkler, Esther de Jong, and Kirsten Owen. And an appearance by Adriana Lima. Also marked Daphne's return to the Prada catwalk since S/S 2012. Oddly enough, Vanessa the two season in a row exclusive was missing from the show after skipping Milan entirely. Gina Bock, Irene Hiemstra, and Joanna Tatarka were exclusives for the show, Jessa Brown was a co-Exclusive with Jil Sander. Irene, Jessa, and Joanna appeared at Miu Miu in Paris. The campaign features: Amanda Murphy, Cameron Russell, Caroline de Maigret, Catherine McNeil, Christy Turlington, Fei Fei Sun, Freja Beha Erichsen, Kristine Froseth, Malaika Firth, Rachel Williams and Sophia Ahrens. Malaika as the first Black model to star in a Prada campaign since Naomi Campbell, nearly two decades before her.

S/S 2014
Opener: Amanda Murphy
Next 8 Girls: Mariana Santana, Nika Cole, Julia Bergshoeff, Aleksandra "Ola" Rudnicka, Anna Ewers, Katlin Aas, Vanessa Axente, Devon Windsor

Amanda Murphy becomes the first model to ever open and close Prada two seasons in a row, and as an exclusive. Prada's casting becomes, for once, less homogenous in terms of skin color, with five Black models and two Asian models being cast for the show. An invasion of platinum blond, bright red and intense black hair on the runway, with plenty of newbies getting makeovers backstage. Fourteen exclusives were cast for the show. The campaign featured 18 models: Amanda Murphy, Anna Ewers, Ashleigh Good, Cindy Bruna, Dorota Kullova, Gracie Van Gastel, Julia Bergshoeff, Lexi Boling, Lieke Van Houten, Magdalena Jasek, Maggie Jablonski, Malaika Firth, Maja Salamon, Nastya Sten, Ophelie Guillermand, Ola Rudnicka, Sabrina Ioffreda, and Viktor Van Pelt. Of which only nine walked the show. Malaika and Amanda repeat the campaign.

Reading this whole thread is like finding the real Bible on Fashion Models History :lol: Amanda Murphy achieved something so rare that even the iconic Pradette Sasha P. couldn't: opening and closing 2 times in a row (Sasha opened two consecutive seasons but closed only 1).

The most interesting case in recent memory is definitely Kaitlin Aas. Debut with both spots at Prada, then became kind of a filler girl in several blue-chips shows, and not until last season she really blew it up (opening Versace like a boss).

The fact that a model like Gemma Ward decides to wait for an opportunity like opening the show to make her come back official tells about the significance of this brand for other models itself.

The fact that a model like Gemma Ward decides to wait for an opportunity like opening the show to make her come back official tells about the significance of this brand for other models itself.

And not only that, i've pretty much seen everyone who walked for Prada this season on instagram uploading a pic of the show and thanking Ashley and the team....i havent seen anyone yet thanking Michelle or Anita :lol: that itself shows the hierarchy of the show for everyone.

I love this thread! So glad to some updates here.

I also find it very interesting to compare who walks Prada and Miu Miu in one same season. Before when Miu Miu was still shown in Milan, I think the cast was more or less the same. But since Miu Miu moved to Paris, the cast was always a surprise.

Hopefully we can get an update for last season and this?

I think whole casts should have been posted/analyzed. I mean, it's not like there's any difference between being girl 7 or 8, than girl 9.

Yeah I too was wondering what the significance of being 2-8 was.

I posted in the model casting thread that Sasha was supposed to walk for this season. Really disappointed it didn't happen.

I kind of miss Sigrid and Ymre as well. Didn't like them at first but warmed up to them eventually

Gemma opening and Sasha closing or Sasha opening and Gemma closing... that would be perfect! So sad it didn't happen.

F/W 2014
Opener:Natasha Poly
Next 8 Girls: Stasha Yatchuk,Marylou Moll,Ana Buljevic, Larissa Marchiori,Ronja Furrer,Mariacarla Boscono,Waleska Gorczevski
Exclusives: Scarlett Grey,Jitte Oerlemans,Sarah Taylor

S/S 2015
Opener: Gemma Ward
Next 8 Girls: Adrienne Juliger,Maria Veranen,Julia Nobis,Lexi Boling,Mica Arganaraz,Grace Hartzel,Ondria Hardin
Closer: Lara Stone
Exclusives: Aya Jones,Maria Veranen, Rianne van Rompaey,Molly Bair (Semi-exclusive),Adrienne Juliger(City)

F/W 2015
Opener: Willow Hand
Next 8 Girls: Ala Sekula,Maria Czerniak,Adrienne Juliger,Greta Varlese, Anna Grostina, Alexandra Elizabeth, Lara Carter,Molly Bair
Closer: Julia Nobis
Exclusives: Adrienne Jüliger,Ala Sekula,Lauren de Graaf,Lara Carter,Lineisy Montero,Maria Czerniak and Inga Dezhina

The significance is usually that you're white. In case you couldn't tell by looking in the mirror, walking Prada would be good confirmation.

sorry but prada doesn't mean much if it shows no loyalty for the models. opening prada or having a prada campaign for a season can only make u model of the month but doesnt give u a long career in the industry.

some girls become who they are today because they have big desingers and editors who are/were loyal to them. for example, anna and karlie, carine and lara/natasha, miucci and sasha, etc

there were girls who were it for a season or two then just disappeared bc they didn't have loyalty from editors/designers.

loyalty from editors/designers is important bc it keeps you relevant in the industry for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a prada fave there is a chance that you become a Meisel fave too and that still means a lot.

I mean look at Amanda, Vanessa or Maartje, their careers blew up, Lineisy and Adrienne are also examples. The fact is that debuting at a very big show is always good for your career but there are not many big shows as Prada who are booking girls who are completely new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darvesh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->