What is the Significance of Walking Prada?

S/S 2016
Opener: Mayka Merino
Next 8 Girls:Meghan Collison, Mica Arganaraz, Sandra Schmidt, Yasmin Wijnaldum, Roos Abels, Willow Hand, Avery Blanchard, Greta Varlese.
Closer: Natalie Westling
Exclusives: Amalie Moosgaard, Bara Podzimkova, Cecilie Moosgaard, Ina Maribo Jensen, Lea Holzfuss, Masha Skokova, Mayka Merino, Meghan Collison, Natalie Westling, Nirvana Naves, Pia Priewe, Valentina Wende, Victoria Kosenkova, Yasmin Wijnaldum.

I think there's no need to have such an amount of mostly irrelevant exclusives at least you're planning a campaign like S/S 14 again. All I can say is I'm happy a hispanic speaking model opened.. I think is the first time right?

sorry but prada doesn't mean much if it shows no loyalty for the models. opening prada or having a prada campaign for a season can only make u model of the month but doesnt give u a long career in the industry.

some girls become who they are today because they have big desingers and editors who are/were loyal to them. for example, anna and karlie, carine and lara/natasha, miucci and sasha, etc

there were girls who were it for a season or two then just disappeared bc they didn't have loyalty from editors/designers.

loyalty from editors/designers is important bc it keeps you relevant in the industry for a long time.

I agree, loyal relationships are much more important.

That's a recent change, though. Prada stuck with her models previously. so I'd argue the significance has changed. But it didn't use to be that way.

It also has to do something with Ashley Brokaw who, apart from her favourites, always changes up the models really fast for the last few seasons.
And Prada hasn't had big names for 2 seasons in a row now, which is quite disappointing cause they made the casts that much more prestigious.

Why Prada’s Model Casting Matters
September 24, 2015 12:15 pm
by Janelle Okwodu

While many shows have remarkable casts, for models both new and established, Prada remains the ultimate “get.” The prestige and visibility that come from being on the Prada runway is incomparable—whether you’re a newcomer having your first big moment or a star returning after a lengthy hiatus. As a result, Prada’s castings have become the barometer by which other shows are judged, as well as an arbiter of industry beauty norms. If you want to get a feel for the current modeling look du jour, a glance at Prada’s run of show is all that’s needed. With the latest Prada extravaganza only moments away, take a look back at the faces who have made Prada the show to beat when it comes to casting.

The Comebacks
Absence may make the heart grow fonder, but Prada has a way of reintroducing its favored faces at the precise right moment. In the late ’90s, Kristen McMenamy retired from the modeling scene to focus her energies on motherhood, but for the brand’s Spring 2005 show, McMenamy re-emerged, opening and closing the show and picking up right where she left off in her career. Gemma Ward’s Spring 2015 return to the Prada catwalk was similarly epic. Ward, who’d sworn off modeling and had been quietly living in Australia since 2009, began her career as a Prada exclusive and rose to superstar status before taking her six-year break.

The Actors
While models make up the majority of Prada’s runway, the brand’s menswear advertising has long relied on art house actors, enlisting everyone from conventional cuties Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Ben Whishaw to acting luminaries like Gary Oldman, Harvey Keitel, and Christoph Waltz. At the fittingly theatrical Fall 2012 show, worlds collided when Oldman, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, and Jamie Bell unexpectedly took to the runway alongside male models like Arthur Gosse and Victor Nylander.

The Boundary Breakers
Milan has always lagged behind New York, London, and Paris in terms of diverse casting, but in recent years Prada has strived toward casts that represent the full spectrum of beauty. In Fall 2006, Korean model Hye Park became Prada’s very first Asian model, followed by Chinese stunners Liu Wen and Shu Pei Qin in Spring 2010. At the Fall 2008 show, Jourdan Dunn became the first black model to walk for the brand since Naomi Campbell more than a decade earlier.

The Supermodels
Though Miuccia Prada, previous casting director Russell Marsh, and current casting director Ashley Brokaw tend to seek out unusual faces for Prada’s shows each season, neither can resist a supermodel moment, especially when it involves taking the star into fresh territory. Adriana Lima ditched her tan and highlights to become a goth siren for the Fall 2013 show, while Alessandra Ambrosio, Miranda Kerr, and Doutzen Kroes left their Angel wings at the door to sport bouffants and tweed for Fall 2010’s retro-styled collection. Even Gisele Bündchen got in on the action, appearing on Miuccia’s catwalk multiple times in the early ’00s, often unrecognizable without the trademarks of her beach babe persona.

The Exclusives
Prada consistently launches careers, and though not every model selected for a Prada exclusive contract goes on to greatness, the brand’s success rate is enviable. Those chosen to open the show, walk in it exclusively, or debut via a Prada campaign are essentially winners of modeling’s golden ticket, and many now-famous names got their first break via Prada. Miuccia Prada gave a contract to a leggy Czech named Karolina Kurkova before she turned 16, and enlisted her to walk Prada and its sister brand, Miu Miu. In 2005, Prada opened with Sasha Pivovarova, a then-unknown Russian art student with a memorable glower who would go on to represent the brand for six consecutive seasons. Long before she was omnipresent in ads for Céline, Daria Werbowy was opening Prada’s Spring 2004 show and landing a contract. Models like Suvi Koponen (opened Spring 2007), Katlin Aas (opened Fall 2009), Lindsey Wixson (opened Spring 2010), Arizona Muse (opened Spring 2011), Vanessa Axente (opened Fall 2012), Maartje Verhoef (opened Spring 2013), and Amanda Murphy (opened Fall 2013 and Spring 2014) all came into their own with appearances at Prada. Even this season’s key catwalkers, like Lineisy Montero and Willow Hand, began with—you guessed it—Prada.
vogue.com/13352024/prada-epic-level-model-casts

I know this thread is about Prada and the significance it has on HF models' careers, but since I saw a few other brands pop up with regards to significance I thought I'd chime in on something that seemed very interesting to me. The other day I was browsing instagram and Paul Marciano, designer and founder of Guess, came up and I saw him post photos of previous campaigns and I was amazed at how many girls did Guess as their first campaign.

I of course knew of the golden age of Guess with Eva H, Claudia, Laetitia, Alessandra, and Adriana. But somewhere shortly thereafter in the mid-2000s the taste level dropped wildly off and it started looking very tacky. However, I was still shocked to see the girls that have now made it quite big get their start from Guess including:

-Irina Shayk
-Jessica Hart
-Kate Upton
-Emily DiDonato
-Elsa Hosk
-Gigi Hadid

Granted all of these girls began with quite commercial careers, but I don't know if anyone would've guessed back then how big they'd become relative to their peers.

The Boundary Breakers
Milan has always lagged behind New York, London, and Paris in terms of diverse casting, but in recent years Prada has strived toward casts that represent the full spectrum of beauty. In Fall 2006, Korean model Hye Park became Prada’s very first Asian model, followed by Chinese stunners Liu Wen and Shu Pei Qin in Spring 2010. At the Fall 2008 show, Jourdan Dunn became the first black model to walk for the brand since Naomi Campbell more than a decade earlier.

Is that their idea of 'striving' for diversity? Boundary breakers? That paragraph was embarrassing.

sorry but prada doesn't mean much if it shows no loyalty for the models. opening prada or having a prada campaign for a season can only make u model of the month but doesnt give u a long career in the industry.

some girls become who they are today because they have big desingers and editors who are/were loyal to them. for example, anna and karlie, carine and lara/natasha, miucci and sasha, etc

there were girls who were it for a season or two then just disappeared bc they didn't have loyalty from editors/designers.

loyalty from editors/designers is important bc it keeps you relevant in the industry for a long time.

See: Elza L...

IMO walking Prada has always been linked to Meisel more than anything else. Walking Prada became important in the mid 00's because in the 90's-early 00's, it was all about Gucci and when Meisel became the photographer for YSL, being in the GUCCI/SAINT LAURENT show was as major as being in the MiuMIu/PRADA show 5 years ago.

But Prada shows have lost their prestige. Gemma's comeback wasn't what people expected.
I feel like Givenchy has taken Prada's place. But as long as they have Meisel and loyal veterans models, people will always be interested in Prada.

See: Elza L...

You could've used a dozen other examples and you chose this one? Elza had not only Prada, but also OG Versace.

There were other reasons why she disappeared.

You could've used a dozen other examples and you chose this one? Elza had not only Prada, but also OG Versace.

There were other reasons why she disappeared.

There are reasons why any model disappears. The statement was that Prada doesn't guarantee a long career in the industry. Elza once had strong Prada support and now has faded away. Regardless of the reasons, Prada didn't guarantee her a long career, ergo she is an example.

We can't discuss the reason why she disappeared. It had NOTHING to do with Prada.

Prada has always been a high profile runway but no more than walking Dior in my opinion. I feel as if you have the Prada girls and you had the Dior girls. Especially from 2004-2010 those were the girls that were to be watched. There was also Chanel to a lesser extend. I don't think walking Prada is as significant anymore because runway isn't that significant anymore. Most runway girls are not translating into editorial like they used to.

IMO walking Prada has always been linked to Meisel more than anything else. Walking Prada became important in the mid 00's because in the 90's-early 00's, it was all about Gucci and when Meisel became the photographer for YSL, being in the GUCCI/SAINT LAURENT show was as major as being in the MiuMIu/PRADA show 5 years ago.

But Prada shows have lost their prestige. Gemma's comeback wasn't what people expected.
I feel like Givenchy has taken Prada's place. But as long as they have Meisel and loyal veterans models, people will always be interested in Prada.

Not at all, almost all Givenchy exclusives have flopped.

Prada is still the standart and the most precious show to be casted in, they are are just picking so girls with zero star power recently (Willow and the recent opener who I don't even remember the name). But it's clear how the shows is Paris after Prada and in NY the next season all follow their lead.

^I agree. Riccardo has launched several girls who basically went nowhere and never truly caught on with other clients, then promptly disappeared when he moved on. I suppose the same could be said about any brand, but there's an appeal of the Prada seal of approval that Givenchy, Calvin Klein, Dior or Chanel lack from what we can see in how the models perform in the following season.

All of the current in-demand models that come to mind have walked Prada in their 1st or 2nd season and some have a Prada campaign under her belt. Although I'm probably forgetting someone who doesn't fit that criteria...

A model could walk 50+ shows in a season and it doesn't go unnoticed if Prada isn't one of them, it's like a strike against an otherwise excellent showlist. On the flipside, a model with a lukewarm showlist is boosted if Prada is one of the few major shows she walked.

Also, Miuccia/Brokaw don't just hop on the bandwagon in using the most hyped girls of the moment and try to keep themselves in the role of trendsetter than follower. I think this is what keeps the brand's image of being selective and why Prada has always been viewed as the show to walk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->