US Vogue's "The Return Of The Supermodel"

marc jacobs addict

Reaction score
According to NY Post, Elisa Lipsky-Karasz' column.

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/elisa.htm

May 30, 2004 -- Ten supermodels shacked up in a house last week, in between darting to and from Manhattan parties.
Gisele Bunchen, Karolina Kurkova and eight other lovelies gave the students of Monmouth University in New Jersey something to write home about as they sat, draped in Valentino and other fabulous designer duds, for Steven Meisel for the September cover of Vogue.

The setting was the campus' landmark Woodrow Wilson Hall, an English-style estate that's been converted into an administrative building. The reason for the merging of the megawatt models, according to a source, was the issue's theme: Return of the Supermodel.

:woot: :woot: :woot:

i think it will probably be half and half regarding the "new" and "old" supermodels.
for instance, my guess:
-Gisele
-Karolina K
-Liya
-Daria
-Kate
-Karen Elson

i those are definite, and probables for the other 4 spots:
-Naomi
-Linda
-Natalia V
-Eugenia V

hooray for Anna Wintour FINALLY putting models on the cover :flower:

Thanks for the news marc jacobs addict! A super thick September issue spotlighting these ladies will be historic. I hope Angela Lindvall is featured.

I can't wait to see. I hope it won't be a disappointment

well i personally don't liek the whoel "supermodel" thing, but a model is better than a celbrity for a cover at least

Sounds great, I'll actually buy it!

I'd love to see Tiiu on the cover! :wink:

back in the nineties i thought that a supermodel was defined as a model's whose name garnered immediate public recognition. i mean even today you say naomi (or christy turlington or kate moss or any other) to just about anyone and they know her...

i just don't think it's the same with karen elson (or tiuu or liya kebede), for example. for today i think of gisele and maybe (straining) karolina. most of the other girls (although i do love them) i don't think are known by the average man (or woman) on the street....it'd be interesting to see what vogue defines as this milenniums "supermodel"?

To be totally honest, I really don't see our generation as having any true "supermodels"...
:unsure:

Originally posted by mikeijames@May 31st, 2004 - 2:43 pm
back in the nineties i thought that a supermodel was defined as a model's whose name garnered immediate public recognition. i mean even today you say naomi (or christy turlington or kate moss or any other) to just about anyone and they know her...

i just don't think it's the same with karen elson (or tiuu or liya kebede), for example. for today i think of gisele and maybe (straining) karolina. most of the other girls (although i do love them) i don't think are known by the average man (or woman) on the street....it'd be interesting to see what vogue defines as this milenniums "supermodel"?
I agree. If you were talking to the average person and dropped the name Tui or Liya, I think they'd be like :question:

wow! i cant remember the last time i was excited by an issue of US Vogue!

Wow, it will surely be awesome ! I'm sure Gisele, Kate and Karolina will be on this cover. Maybe Amber ??

I hope this cover will not be a repeat of Vogue's Millenium issue, with a bunch of retired models dressed in bland column gowns. That was a blatant and inferior rip-off of Vanity Fair's Hollywood issues. But judging from the selection of clothes (Valentino and whatnot) and the photographer (Meisel, ugh), I am afraid it will be. I want to see either Mario Testino or Craig McDean. W's last supermodel cover was a mixed bag and failed to excite me. The styling was terrible.

In addition, while putting models on the cover is a good thing, the timing is odd. Does this September really signal the return of supermodels? There weren't any supers at the FW shows outside New York. Another gimmick to boost sales, I guess.

Gisele deserves to have a US Vogue cover all to herself. She should've gotten the March cover because she came out from the self-imposed semi-exile from high fashion. And this issue would be incomplete without Angela Lindvall. Karolina Kurkova's days of glory are gone and I'd rather see Carmen Kass. Liya Kebede is almost gauranteed to be on the cover. If they don't use dino models like Amber Valletta and Pat Cleveland, Erin Wasson and Isabeli Fontana have a pretty good chance of being on the cover. As for the new girls, Meisel's Trinity: Elise Crombez, Daria Werbowy, and Julia Stegner should be there. Ditto Natalia Vodianova and Eugenia Volodina. But I'd be very surprised if either Gemma Ward, Jessica Stam, Hana S, or Tiiu Kiuk appears on the cover.

My Wish-List:
1. Angela Lindvall
2. Gisele Bundchen
3. Shalom Harlow
4. Eugenia Volodina
5. Jacquetta Wheeler
6. Raquel Zimmermann
7. Elise Crombez
8. Natalia Vodianova
9. Kate Moss
10. Julia Stegner or Jessica Miller

But this is a more likely list:
1. Gisele Bundchen
2. Carmen Kass
3. Karolina Kurkova
4. Liya Kebede
5. Natalia Vodianova
6. Karen Elson (cough)
7. Carolyn Murphy (cough cough)
8. Linda Evangelista (cough cough cough)
9. Isabeli Fontana
10. Daria Werbowy

And don't count out Nadja.

Originally posted by LibertyRose@May 31st, 2004 - 6:59 pm
I hope this cover will not be a repeat of Vogue's Millenium issue, with a bunch of retired models dressed in bland column gowns. That was a blatant and inferior rip-off of Vanity Fair's Hollywood issues. But judging from the selection of clothes (Valentino and whatnot) and the photographer (Meisel, ugh), I am afraid it will be. I want to see either Mario Testino or Craig McDean. W's last supermodel cover was a mixed bag and failed to excite me. The styling was terrible.

In addition, while putting models on the cover is a good thing, the timing is odd. Does this September really signal the return of supermodels? There weren't any supers at the FW shows outside New York. Another gimmick to boost sales, I guess.

Gisele deserves to have a US Vogue cover all to herself. She should've gotten the March cover because she came out from the self-imposed semi-exile from high fashion. And this issue would be incomplete without Angela Lindvall. Karolina Kurkova's days of glory are gone and I'd rather see Carmen Kass. Liya Kebede is almost gauranteed to be on the cover. If they don't use dino models like Amber Valletta and Pat Cleveland, Erin Wasson and Isabeli Fontana have a pretty good chance of being on the cover. As for the new girls, Meisel's Trinity: Elise Crombez, Daria Werbowy, and Julia Stegner should be there. Ditto Natalia Vodianova and Eugenia Volodina. But I'd be very surprised if either Gemma Ward, Jessica Stam, Hana S, or Tiiu Kiuk appears on the cover.

My Wish-List:
1. Angela Lindvall
2. Gisele Bundchen
3. Shalom Harlow
4. Eugenia Volodina
5. Jacquetta Wheeler
6. Raquel Zimmermann
7. Elise Crombez
8. Natalia Vodianova
9. Kate Moss
10. Julia Stegner or Jessica Miller

But this is a more likely list:
1. Gisele Bundchen
2. Carmen Kass
3. Karolina Kurkova
4. Liya Kebede
5. Natalia Vodianova
6. Karen Elson (cough)
7. Carolyn Murphy (cough cough)
8. Linda Evangelista (cough cough cough)
9. Isabeli Fontana
10. Daria Werbowy

And don't count out Nadja.
i completely agree. as much as i would love to see some girls like Hana or Tiuu. this is still US Vogue, and their main purpose is to still SELL SELL SELL. and the way that they will sell more magazines will be to put girls on the cover that the American consumers will recognize. in the end, i really just see this as a marketing ploy [what isnt nowadays, though] and as much as i am ECSTATIC :woot: at the thought of models on the cover. i fear that i will be disappointed by selection. ex: amber valetta, linda.. etc. :wacko:

nonetheless. i am still happy it is a model, and not another dreadful celebrity :flower:

Originally posted by LibertyRose@May 31st, 2004 - 7:59 pm
And this issue would be incomplete without Angela Lindvall.

Hear, hear! :clap:

Karolina Kurkova's days of glory are gone...

May 04 Fr. Vogue has a Demarchelier-shot ed that I think shows KK is still very much at the top of her game.

If they don't use dino models like Amber Valletta and Pat Cleveland...

:lol: Granting whirling Pat ancient status is a given. But Amber? She has some gas left in the tank, certainly enough to keep her from being grouped with PC.

I love your wishlist and big thumbs up to mentioning Shalom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->