The World Welcomes a New Pope

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really didn't want him as Pope.I think the Nigerian would have been a better choice

Sonja

some speculation as to the name . . .

If Ratzinger was paying tribute to the last pontiff named Benedict, it could be interpreted as a bid to soften his image as the Vatican's doctrinal hard-liner. Benedict XV, who reigned from 1914 to 1922, was a moderate following Pius X, who had implemented a sharp crackdown against doctrinal "modernism." He reigned during World War I and was credited with settling animosity between traditionalists and modernists, and dreamed of reunion with Orthodox Christians.

sonjanicky29 said:
I really didn't want him as Pope.I think the Nigerian would have been a better choice

Sonja

but is anybody really surprised? european and american catholics simply are not ready for a non-white pope. just think of what a big deal it is that he's not italian.

A few things in this thread sort of jumped off the page for me.

I wouldn't call him overconservative. He was in charge of Church Doctrine for 20 years - it was his job to be a hard liner. He may very well act different as Pope. Also, like others have pointed out, he's merely a transitional pope and will serve a short papacy.

The thing that some people fear is that he's going to still do a lot of damage even though he only has five years left on him.

And his past isn't really the best thing about him.

Last edited by a moderator:
meeyowsa said:
some speculation as to the name . . .

If Ratzinger was paying tribute to the last pontiff named Benedict, it could be interpreted as a bid to soften his image as the Vatican's doctrinal hard-liner. Benedict XV, who reigned from 1914 to 1922, was a moderate following Pius X, who had implemented a sharp crackdown against doctrinal "modernism." He reigned during World War I and was credited with settling animosity between traditionalists and modernists, and dreamed of reunion with Orthodox Christians.

youre right!
that is what I just read on AOL news...you are totally correct meeyowsa!:flower:

sonjanicky29 said:
Yes, I wanted it to be him too. I don't think, however that he wasn't chosen because he's an African. But that may be just wishful thinking :unsure:

no IMO, honestly dont belive that him being Nigerian had anything to do with it...
Since he was representative of a country that deals with high HIV rates, there was fear that he would encourage the use of condoms- which is something that currently the church doesnt allow...

This is such an anticipatory moment - I think for the world, whether you are Catholic or not.

I'm not fussed. There's no difference between Popes. It's one conservative or another.

These popes, like JP, were very good men...but I, even as a straight female, find it sad that many of us today actually care if someone is gay or not....if everyone put all their negative hate towards those of different sexualities, races, etc., and put it into good, we would be living in a good world. I see being against homosexuality and such is the same as being racist. Those "qualities," are not what make a person's personality.

Wow, that was my most intelligent post here.

dancingellecat said:
These popes, like JP, were very good men...but I, even as a straight female, find it sad that many of us today actually care if someone is gay or not....if everyone put all their negative hate towards those of different sexualities, races, etc., and put it into good, we would be living in a good world. I see being against homosexuality and such is the same as being racist. Those "qualities," are not what make a person's personality
I completely agree :flower:

Plastic'sWife said:
no IMO, honestly dont belive that him being Nigerian had anything to do with it...
Since he was representative of a country that deals with high HIV rates, there was fear that he would encourage the use of condoms- which is something that currently the church doesnt allow...
thats true - perhaps they felt that he'd be under pressure to encourage contraception. Which is something I wish the Church would do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this today when I clicked on internet explorer and it was a headline on msn...then i saw more about it on CNN. I haven't been following the pope selection too closely but this guy looks kinda evil. Wonder if it's going to be a real life case of Emperor Palpatine. He will train an apprentice in the unknown martial arts of the occult and lead a hunt to overthrow the catholic church, which will become the catholic empire in 5 years, and they will exterminate all non-believers. But don't be scared, for there will be A New Hope. Soon a resistance will arise from rebels who have managed to survive the slaughter and they will plan an infiltration of the Vatican, to restore peace and harmony within the religious and actual world!

"Lord Vader...RISE."

On Arinze and contraception:

In Countries where HIV was running rampant, some Catholic countries chose to follow the Church's instructions and others chose to use contraception. The countries that followed Catholic instruction (such as the Philipines, I believe) were far more succesful.

secondly said:

In Countries where HIV was running rampant, some Catholic countries chose to follow the Church's instructions and others chose to use contraception. The countries that followed Catholic instruction (such as the Philipines, I believe) were far more succesful.
more successful in battling HIV?

Pope Benedict XVI is six? years younger than John Paul II and will most likely be a transitional pope, meant to continue the work of the last 25 years and enforce and re-emphasize the church doctrines that are often NOT followed by American Catholics. During that time, John Paul's legacy can be absorbed by the world and the pain of his loss will become less. The pope after this one is the one we'll really need to watch, I think. He will potentially have the ability to change much and be make his own legacy. The current pope will be continuing the legacy of the last one.

then i saw more about it on CNN. I haven't been following the pope selection too closely but this guy looks kinda evil.

I agree. The first thing I thought when I saw him was that he looks evil.

secondly said:

You do have some proof about that, don't you? Like statistics from the UN Health agency etc.

And what was the Catholic instruction again? To abstain?
The Catholic antri-contraception policy did nothing else but aggravate the HIV problem in Africa and SE Asia. The only good thing about the new Pope is that he is old.

I was there at the S.Pietro square yesterday....looooots of people, also in the metro ( so hot and been pushed all over the place)!! We came just on time (as there's 45 minutes after the white smoke to get there) and I saw like several little white points on a balcony:unsure:. When it became clear that Ratzinger was the new pope, there were a lot of people dissapointed.
It was really a once in a life time experience, everybody began to run out of the metro...people were becoming crazy!! About Ratzinger, I don't think he's a very charismatic person to lead a church, which I think especially now, it is in need of...I don't know anyone who's still going to church and when they chose a conservative, old leader I don't think it 'll do any good.

^ I am so jealous iSpot! Times like this I wish I lived in Europe, or at least had decent vaca time here at this crap job!
You are very fortunate IMO, to have been there...:flower:

The World Welcomes...Hitler as Pope. If we're lucky,we'll only have to endure four years of his bashing and bigotry. Kind of like our American Hitler,really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miumeow
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->