Thrift Scores

Discussion in 'Shop Till You Drop' started by HBoogie, Apr 8, 2003.

1. utopia

utopia ingenue

my vintage bright coral red princess coat that my friend bought at a thrift store for $8. I traded her a purple leather skirt (!!! which I had actually bought to give to her...:blush:) for that coat - best trade of my life! it looks quite a lot like audrey hepburn's red coat in breakfast at tiffany's, although I actually like mine better because the shape is sleeker. B)

also, a blue wool vintage givenchy a-line skirt that I bought for about $1.25. it's absolutely gorgeous. :)

2. *AndoraStar*

*AndoraStar* Day Dreaming

Ladies you're really making me SHOP!! OH ya.. I'm going to shop now!

3. classic1908

classic1908 Member

Recent finds include a Saks Fifth Avenue gray cotton/rayon sweater for $7.
    Others include a Steve Fabrikant (luxe knit) dress for $30, a Talora (Nordstrom) stretch denim reefer for $20, and a pair of INC beige slacks for $7.

4. Angelica

Angelica New Member

I found a great brown leather Miu Miu jacket with dark purple stitching for $75. The leather was in great condition, no cracks or dry spots. :heart:

5. littlered

littlered New Member

Another great find this last weekend! A caramel brown vintage leather jacket. It's fitted and slightly broken in - and I only paid $22 for it!

6. estevairevana

estevairevana New Member

Shucks, I almost said Macy's and Bloomingdales but as they are not really vintage, then I'll say Crabtree and Evelyn? Or Wet Seal is sometimes very chantilly.

7. charlottesometimes

charlottesometimes retro queen

Yippee! Today I bought a gorgeous wool scottish kilt for $10.00 which I am going to wear with black knee-length lace-up boots and a 70s velvet jacket so that it doesn't look too "mumsy".

8. humble balmy gore

humble balmy gore New Member

The best things I have found at a thrift store include
    Valentino couture vicuna coat ($12. Last september)
    two Florence Knoll black leather settees ($20 each!!!,a couple of years ago)
    Baccarat decanter ($80. last year)
    1950's black leather motorcycle jacket ($20. last week)
    There is a silent auction here every Saturday and I used to frequent,Once I got there a little late and this Old man had beat me to a set of 4 Verner Panton wire cone chairs with blue seat pads.He was driving off as I got there :angry:
    I have more luck finding house stuff than clothes.
    I have a friend that would find AMAZING things.He found a pair of white painted Margiela tabi boots.I thought that was INSANE.

9. AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous Active Member

My fave thing has to be my hot pink pumps with a 2 -3 inch heel, brand new for 2.99! I get comments on them whenever I wear them out. My 5 y.o cousin calls them "tay-tay's barbie shoes"! :heart:

10. pfwoot

pfwoot New Member

I was so innocently riding my bike last night when I happened upon this amazing vintage/thrift store.

I got:
    two 40's/50's bathing suits(very modest, yet still very cute) :heart:
    two scarves
    big round sunglasses.

I had to make myself leave b/c I needed to get home, but there were still several rooms I hadn't gone into yet and I think I 'm gonna go back and get earrings that I've thought about.

It was sooo much fun! :bounce:

11. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

Thats amzing I'm going to faint!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

12. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

oooh, you should wear the retro swimsuit with scarf and big round sunglasses! B)

13. Tiffany199

Tiffany199 New Member

I bought a Donald Brooks dress for $5 at a garage sale and when I looked it up on the web as to info about the designer. I saw the dresses went for $450 and up.

:heart: Tiffany

14. charlottesometimes

charlottesometimes retro queen

I :heart: reading about everyone's treasures!

Yesterday I found a Joseph Homme pure wool jumper for hubby, perfect unworn condition $6.50. (The op-shop ladies had never heard of Joseph!) and a 50s red wool boucle coat also in perfect condition for $7.00

I get such a buzz from finding great stuff :buzz: ...does anyone else feel this way?

15. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

B) definitely, Charlotte!

:flower: Welcome to tFS, Tiffany199! :flower:

16. lilac_wine

lilac_wine New Member

Yesterday, I found a soft black polkadot skirt that is so light you don't even notice you're wearing it (3 euros), an icy blue cashmere sweater for my mom :flower: (too big for me) (5 e.) and a couple of cool books, all Dutch, so I won't bore you w/ details.
    Yay!

17. Feline

Feline rock-chic

Purple leather jacket, looks unworn for £4.25.

18. Tease

Tease New Member

I found a gorgeous, classic, black, retro, museum worthy, swimsuit, though it was not cheap ($99)... its worth more than what I paid. It is my most favourite item in my closet.

19. asta

asta New Member

i found a grey fur schiaparelli coat from the 40's for $12!!!!!!! it is amazing! and in mint condition.
    i also found a huge cream bottega veneta tote bag- woven- for $1.

20. utopia

utopia ingenue

I found the most adorable doctor-style handbag the other day. it's brown leather with black leather detailing (which is so nice because I always accessorize with black and never brown) and just a small handle. I only paid $1.98 for it, and it's in amazing condition for it's age, though I can't determine exactly how old it might be. it doesn't really look like it's been used. regardless, I'm still elated over my find. -_- :heart: