Thrift Scores

I found a Dior clutch at Goodwill three years ago. It was 3 bucks and I left my wallet at home!

still tortures me to this day...

best find--
a vintage pucci-esque print japanese style shirt with a nice obi belt design integrated into the back. it only cost me $1.50!! everyone who saw me wearing it loved it so much. ive gotten great comments on it EACH time i wear it! :smile:

it is funny that i got 2 replys on ? salvation army ?nice find i think a nice donation in thrift stores like that as those cloths and there for the people that can'nt aford reteil and need to stay warm, there are other "thrigh" stores that i have seen mentioned that are only designer type clothes, for bazers, hospitals etc to raise money, OH GOD , i cannot stand myself i sound so preacheeeeee, PLEASE :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: that is not me its just the goodwell thing drives me crazy :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: , :flower: :flower:

Does anyone know of any vintage clothing stores in the Bronx? But you can also post some in Manhatten.

yellowplaidfront.JPG
yellowplaidback.JPG

Here's that plaid dress I was talking about. I was taking pictures of some of my vintage stuff for an online lookbook I am compiling as part of the "resources" section of my website, and I snapped a couple of this treasure. It is blanket-weight wool flannel, bias cut on the skirt.

I just got this outfit today for a total of 60.00! the jacket is HOT..it's reversible! Good shopping day indeed.

hotness1.jpg

Oh, As You Like it, that dress is to die for! :drools: I just love it when people post pictures.

My favorite thrift store/garage sale finds include:
-a beautiful brown suede jacket that fits perfectly (I don't recall the price, but it was from Screaming Mimi's in NYC--a vintage store that isn't necessarily cheap. It still counts as a find in my book, though.)
-a funky bronze pendant that looks like some sort of African mask($1)
-a lacy, cream-colored Ellen Tracy skirt ($8)

I haven't visited any thrift stores lately, but I'll be going soon for new spring clothes. I'm dying to go out and shop now. You guys have inspired me so much!

AYLI, that dress is wonderful!! It has such a personality, and looks cozy too. :wub:

I'm constantly in thrift stores, most of my wardrobe comes from great finds from there.. here are some of my best:

-- Christian Dior wool skirt suit, small gray herringbone print.. high waist, large shoulderpads. I'm guessing it's from late '80s, early '90s.. It was 9.99 and it FIT!
-- Victoria's Secret handbag, tweed with odd handles.. $4. I just love it
-- Hot Pink flats. Kinda like old lady shoes, but on me they just look 'out there'. $3
-- Christian Dior scarf.. wild graffiti-esque print. $10 (on eBay.. but still figured it was worth a mention)
-- Hot Pink sweatshirt that I cut and wore off the shoulder. 99 cents!
-- A short sleeved baby blue sweatshirt that has a tight elastic band around the hipbone. Has three white sheep and a black sheep... perfect for me. :blush: 99 cents.
-- Hugo Buscati (is this a good name? I've never heard of it) skirt suit in blue and white checked. 8$

I could go on and on!! More pictures later, but for now I must go get ready for Easter services. I'm wearing the Hugo Buscati outfit :wink:

I have never found anything good in any charity store :(. This is mainly becasue I've never been in a charity store. Recommend one?

Originally posted by ahhGucci@Apr 11th, 2004 - 10:28 am
I have never found anything good in any charity store :(. This is mainly becasue I've never been in a charity store. Recommend one?
You have to check them all out. Oxfam is almost always good. I had great luck at the RSPCA shop in York, also. Those two were my main haunts, though I found a few neat pieces in the Age Concern shop, and another that was for a children's charity, that I can't remember now. You have to go often, be selective, and feel adventurous. Most of my best clothing that I didn't make came from charity shops.

In the US, I usually go to Goodwill, Junior League, and D.A.V., and if there is an ASPCA shop, which there isn't in Kansas City. I don't shop from religious-based charity shops, because I don't support missions. Hence, no Salvation Army for me. There's also a local needy-families' charity shop that I shop at a lot, but that is mostly to get work clothes for my husband. Their stuff isn't that great usually, and their women's selection is dire, but for work clothes, the prices can't be beat.

Now I'm self employed, more and more of my stuff comes from charity shops. I've noticed come the weekend theres rarely anything worth having. Ive had some fantastic stuff lately - my current fave being a matt gold sequinned jacket - reminds me very much of the Mila sequinned waistcoats that they have in Selfridges for $$$ but is so much nicer, the sequins are sewn onto flesh pink satin so it has a lovely soft look to it.
Have to admit, a lot of my finds end up on eBay though :innocent: generally gorgeous, really dressy stuff that I would never wear myself, but can't resist.
I seen to have a knack for this sort of thing - I can't even go to the gym without coming back with bags full of stuff.

For instance yesterday I went out to the gym and came back with three pairs of shoes. :blush:

Its carboot sale season soon, so look out, here I come!

A tip for those who want it : the best finds come from either wealthy rural or city areas where there are lots of elderly people. I find that areas where there are lots of wealthy young things do not turn much good stuff up - its generally boring modern stuff, no vintage. I can imagine York is good as it is full of wealthy old people. How about Harrogate, As You Like It?

My hot pink flats.. they're really more of a fuschia, even though the pic shows them as a rosey colour:

hotpinks.JPG

TheSoCalledPrep..thats some great finds...! The Dior jacket is a really nice jacket that can be thrown into almost anyoutfit to add character...those pearls with it too make it very classy. :wink:

I'm glad I live in LA, so many great vintage shops here.

My great finds of the year...

*Squaresville*
Versace Black mini dress-$25
A 70's vintage velvet coat jacket-$18(it's my favorite I bought years ago but worn mentioning)

*Jet Rag*
A 60's tulle and silk pink dress-$20
A Jimi Hendrix rare concert tee that looked like new-$10(which I made into a halter with leather trimming on it..cute! one of my best made shirts yet!)

*Out Of the Closet-West LA*
Tie by Prada that I made into a belt-$2
Valentino Scarf-$5, also now a belt...and I always get asked where I got it from.

And A vintage, never worn, red corsetted Valentino...probably from the early 70's I found at a shop I can't recall..-$170...kinda pricier than the rest of my finds, but for a Valentino, never worn...thats a great deal....I was shocked that it was that cheap for it...usually things like that are expensive.

It looks similar to this dress,but it doesn't have a ribbon at the bust like that...
100-0062_IMG_2.JPG

Originally posted by pinkmonkey@Apr 11th, 2004 - 3:23 pm
I can imagine York is good as it is full of wealthy old people. How about Harrogate, As You Like It?
I never actually made it to Harrogate when I was living in York. I was REALLY broke...the quintessential impoverished foreign graduate student. For a while, I was doing mending for people in order to get money for food. I started having a little extra cash around after I got a job as a cleaning woman at a B&B across the street from our student accomodations.

God, being a grad student sucked. But the charity shops in York are ace. Goodramgate and Walmgate have the greatest concentrations.

:woot: A great find today: Michael Kors 100% silk turtleneck in camel.. still has the tags on it. Retailed for $595 at Bendel's... I got it for a whopping $2. :woot: :woot:

My other buys from today:
A green Izod Lacoste polo (Alligator! :D )
Pink long underwear top (not like I need more pink underwear..)
Navy retro 50s skirt with small white polka dots
Polo by Ralph Lauren cardigan in aqua blue

=)

I have a question about these Yves Saint Laurent and Oscar De La Renta mens dress shirts I found. How much would they have cost if they were knew? I for em for a buck each.

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Apr 11th, 2004 - 3:22 pm
My Christian Dior suit:

dior.JPG

dfgsdifhsdpfhsd i want that sssssssssuuuuuitttttttttttt :cry: :cry: how much was it?

I found a vintage Fendi Satchel at my local thrift store back home...

It was in a pretty used condition.. the lining was starting to wear away... some parts I fixed, some parts I replaced.. like the pocket... but I still love it... vintage bags always have much more character. and I get compliments on it all the time. :heart:

I kinda miss queen of all vintage shopping UTOPIA! I enjoyed her vintage find posts a great deal.

Everyone is sooo lucky! I am one of those not so lucky vintage shoppers. But I like the idea of going to rich neighborhoods for garage sales is a good idea. I might have to give that a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->