Tom Ford Talks Of Post Gucci Depression

stylegurrl

Reaction score
Tom Ford Talks of Post Gucci Depression

October 08, 2004 - Paris

Everyone in Paris is talking about the interview that Tom Ford gave to Canadian magazine FQ, in which he admits to getting depressed post Gucci and generally dishes about his life since leaving the luxury group.

“I’ve been in fashion for a while, almost twenty years, and eleven of them as a well-known fashion designer. I sort of burned out (by creating) sixteen collections a year on a runway. This summer I had to go back to Paris to speak at Helmut Newton’s memorial service. Being thrown back into that world and waking up the next morning and reading bitchy things Suzy Menkes decided to write about me in the paper for no reason whatsoever – other than just to be mean) was hard for me,” Ford reveals in the fall issue of FQ, the large format quarterly that is Canada’s most handsome fashion title.

Asked what he missed most about being a designer, Ford replied: “The thing that depressed me the most – and I did go through a certain depression, which I’m still coming out of now – is that I realized I didn’t have a voice in popular culture any longer. I am very happy about where I am now because (leaving) was such a dramatic life change, but it is hard that I am not able to voice what I am feeling about the world through clothes and through advertising.”

Before resigning, Ford continues, “I could see my vision reflected in someone’s music video or something someone would say. I could see and feel my voice frequently. I can’t wait until I have a film or I have something that gives me a voice again.”

FQ’s editor-in-chief, the veteran Canadian TV fashion reporter Jeanne Beker, conducted the interview, entitled “Tom Ford’s Reappearing Act.”

Since leaving Gucci this spring, Ford has opened his own office in Los Angeles and has been reading scripts incessantly, as many as 50 in the past few months by some accounts. In his conversation with Beker he reveals that he is in the process of buying a script and also working on his own writing.

However, “I will not be making a fashion movie and I will not be making a movie about fashion,” Ford stresses. Moreover, Tom has opened a design firm in London, which will be fashion related but not involve runway shows.

Despite his dark moments, Ford insists he is optimistic about the state of the world. Nonetheless he claims: “I don’t think anyone could be anything but depressed at this mess we have managed to get ourselves in. I am not a fan of the current (America) administration. I am very much a Democrat. I will be voting for Kerry…. I feel America’s reputation has been really quite damaged by the current administration. I used to really be proud to be an American and I am proud to be an American. But we were once the moral leaders of the world and people looked up to us for that, but I think we’ve lost that in the world.”

Asked how he crawled out of the black hole of depression, Ford responds: “I am still going through it. I think I’ll be probably adjusting to it. I’ll have waves of it probably for the next year…. Even being in London is a little hard for me right now because every day I got up in the morning and went to my office in London, my office is no longer there. L.A. is the future for me which is why I’m planning to stay here for the next few months.”

I guess a little withdrawal is expected... but nice article though! Thanks stylegurrlrlrlrl :smile: I should go pick up FQ if I even know where to get it

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Oct 9 2004, 03:04 PM

[snapback]391721[/snapback]​
thank you for posting that article! by the way, where was it from?

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 9 2004, 03:40 PM
thank you for posting that article! by the way, where was it from?
[snapback]391747[/snapback]​

You're welcome SG :flower:

It is from the Fashion Wire Daily site.

i could see "I used to really be proud to be an American..." being used out of context

great article of course he's not happy to be away from the limelight,
thats all he was ever aiming for.. but times change.

i wont be surprised if he makes a sudden return in a less 'important' design post, he wont stand staying away from the flashes for too long.

thanks for the topic stylegurrl :heart:

“I’ve been in fashion for a while, almost twenty years, and eleven of them as a well-known fashion designer. I sort of burned out (by creating) sixteen collections a year on a runway. This summer I had to go back to Paris to speak at Helmut Newton’s memorial service. Being thrown back into that world and waking up the next morning and reading bitchy things Suzy Menkes decided to write about me in the paper for no reason whatsoever – other than just to be mean was hard for me,” Ford reveals in the fall issue of FQ, the large format quarterly that is Canada’s most handsome fashion title.

Oh poor baby. How dare anyone criticize you. :angry: I thought we were going to get a break from this arrogant oaf for a while. But of course he's unhappy. For the first time in 10 years the spotlight isn't on him 24/7.

I feel for him, I mean, talk about a 180.......as far as what he said about the current state of America, well, he couldn't be more right. On that note, i wish more designers would voice their opinions on Bush.

oh how quickly they fall...

funny how tom doesn't like it when the shoe's on the other foot... and he's subject to the same critical eye the rest of us have to endure regularly... that gg monogramed bubble he lived in must have been just have been lovely...

of course no one dared say a word against him while he was leading gucci group.... but it's all an illusion and fashion is so so fickle...

and now his little bubble has burst...

what does he expect?... :D :flower:

Sorry Nader, I was reading fast and didn't see your post. You are welcome :blush: :blush:

Great article... Poor Tom.

I'm confused though. Is he going to be acting in the movies? Producing? Directing? Whats going on with that?

Originally posted by Erzébeth@Oct 10 2004, 01:59 AM
good article thanks. does suzy menkes really writes bitchy things?
[snapback]392311[/snapback]​

I think she used to be a lot 'bitchier' than she is these days. I think Suzy is honest and an impeccable journalist. But sometimes I have to question her judgment. These days she really seems to praise practically anyone.

Originally posted by oceanharlot@Oct 9 2004, 11:07 PM
Great article... Poor Tom.

I'm confused though. Is he going to be acting in the movies? Producing? Directing? Whats going on with that?
[snapback]392324[/snapback]​

I heard that he wants to direct...

Oh poor baby. How dare anyone criticize you. I thought we were going to get a break from this arrogant oaf for a while. But of course he's unhappy. For the first time in 10 years the spotlight isn't on him 24/7.

Can you blame him for being like that? He is having to say goodbye to the things he held so close, and that is very hard. Then you read not-so-nice things about you, and you crack. I'd say that it is normal.

funny how tom doesn't like it when the shoe's on the other foot... and he's subject to the same critical eye the rest of us have to endure regularly... that gg monogramed bubble he lived in must have been just have been lovely...

of course no one dared say a word against him while he was leading gucci group.... but it's all an illusion and fashion is so so fickle...

:woot: :ninja: :innocent:

:innocent: i bet he will be even more depressed if he browse our YSL by Pilati posts :lol:

ps: supposedly, it was his own choice to leave his post at GucciGroup dear LostinNJ :flower:

aww Tom Ford!!! :heart:

I know some people don't like him, but I think he's goregous and talented, I really like what he did for Gucci...... :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honorata
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->