Toni Garrn

From her trip to Burkina Faso, unfortunately only small screen shots:

ndr.de

She'll be at NDR television show 'DAS!' tonight at 6.45pm (to talk about her project I suppose).

From faz.de plus article:
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesellschaft/menschen/burkina-faso-toni-garrn-leistet-hilfe-13023498.html
It's great that FAZ reports about it, it's one of the most prestigious german newspapers.

My favorite quote is:

Q: For you personally, one of the advantages of this project is that you can finally talk about contents.
A: Totally. All these questions about what I rub on my face in the morning or what kind of sports I do. It's so boring. When people are interested in me, I can as well spread real messages.

love her for that. :heart:

video from above embedded:

and pics from ndr.de in better quality via starla on bellazon:

Last edited by a moderator:
das-deutsche-model-toni-garrn-posiert-am-3-juli-in-hamburg-1338963h.jpg

sz-online.de

Interview with the radio station N-Joy

n-joy.de

There's also a video.
The play 'either-or', quick translation:

Q: Schnitzel or salad?
A:Salad. I don't eat meat.
Q: string or hotpants?
A: string
Q: Hamburg or New York?
A: That's so difficult, Hamburg is my hometown, but I live in New York.
Q: Partying or being idle?
A: Partying
Q: But as a model, don't you always drink water only?
A: I actually do drink a lot of water because most of the time I have to work the day after; I just love dancing and go out just to dance, but I normally also have one or two drinks per night.
Q: Football: Yelling or sitting still.
A: Yelling!
Q: Do you know these fan songs?
A: Of course! (sings)

I watched the other interview thing as well today (some interesting questions, I try to translate it one of these days) and she still exudes something very cold and a bit arrogant - or maybe just shy. I like her and I personally like to think that she's really shy and not a pro when it comes to giving interviews on tv, but she really needs to watch her facial expressions a bit more, most of the time her face says: What the hell am I even doing here, I'm out of everybody's league here. Also, her way of answering questions can be very snappish, and she corrected the interviewer a bit too often in that other interview.

I loved the Burkina Faso video. She radiates a warmth there especially with the children.

she still exudes something very cold and a bit arrogant - or maybe just shy. I like her and I personally like to think that she's really shy and not a pro when it comes to giving interviews on tv, but she really needs to watch her facial expressions a bit more, most of the time her face says: What the hell am I even doing here, I'm out of everybody's league here. Also, her way of answering questions can be very snappish, and she corrected the interviewer a bit too often in that other interview.

i agree - she appears arrogant and strained to be polite. something is missing - call it authenticity or sympathy. i like her modelling work very much though
Her English-talking is very perfect and fluently :flower:

Here's the linkto the video I was talking about earlier.

Translation:
Interviewer: Toni Garrn is here tonight! Toni, first of all, I'm glad that we agreed to say 'du' [instead of 'Sie', informal form of address like french tu vs. vous, you know what I mean. :wink:].
Toni: Of courses! I neeeever say 'Sie' to aaanybody. [If this is true I suggest she rethinks that, at least when talking to clients in Germany. :tongue: ]
I: But also, we first met during hair & make up, I mean, one has to bare all during hair & make up anyway.
T: Yes, you can see everything.
I: And it [hair & make up] looks great on you!
T: Yours too. Congratulations.

Do you watch football?
Yes, normally during the world cup I do, but this time I have to admit that I have been so busy during the world cup so far, so I could watch one single game only, but luckily it was Germany against the US. I was in NY sitting in a restaurant proudly with flags painted on my face and so on, I was very proud when we won and one half of the others just left and was like 'whatever', the other half was like 'yeah, we won!', I was like 'So you're a Germany fan now, too?'.
Football in the US has gotten quite popular as of late.
Yeah, all of a sudden. Everybody's like 'are you watching the game?', I'm like 'which game? is NFL still on?', they're like 'no, no, soccer, don't you watch it?', I'm like 'I do for sure, but you're American?!', so all of a sudden they really dig it, but I like it.

Your birthday is on monday.
Yeah, that's why I'm flying back tomorrow, so I can't watch the game once again.
You turn 22. I checked your horoscope, it looks good for tonight, it says: If somebody gets smart with you, stand up to him, you're confident enough.
[in a very bored, kind of 'what do you want from me voice] Super, I like that. I'll do that.
We'll work it out somehow!

Hamburger Deern [girl] from New York City, that sounds really cool!
Yeah, really funny.
So just to give as a little impression of your life, how quickly everything has changed in your life...where do you come from now and where are you leaving to tomorrow?
I've been here for two and a half days now, that's really long for me. I came from Barcelona, I was there for a job. Before that I was in New York and could watch the game. And tomorrow I'll be off to LA, so it's always only two or three days in the same place.
And the good thing is, here in Hamburg, you're at your Mum Anja's...
Uuuhm...nooo.
I mean, not at her place, but you talk to her, because she' also your manager.
She's my manager, we talk on the phone daily and see each other daily when I'm here, but I live alone, since I was 17 already, also here, and in New York.

So and you wear your high heels especially for today
Of course, one has to somehow...
Come on, let's get up, I want to show how tall you are.
Ok, if you want it like that, you said it!
So look, where's the...
He wanted it like that, he wanted it like that.
Just enjoy this picture [to viewers]
I put on high heels because I was told I was supposed to sit all the time. I don't want something ... somehow here [I guess she was trying to say that she didn't wear heels on purpose to show off, but I have no idea, awkward situation]
But you're very tall, really, I'm used to them being like this [shows height by touching her waist].
(...)
How tall are you?
1,83 m, I always like to say 1,80, but in reality I'm taller.
(...)
How would you describe your life at the moment?
Very exciting, very hectic, but that's how it's always been. I love excitement, I love when it's full of energy, and I basically never have a routine, I'm not used to this; I know that I fly to LA tomorrow, but afterwards...no idea, I only plan like one or two or three days in advance, when I can plan one or two weeks in advance it's pure luxury to me.
Is it also a live that's full of happiness?
It's like a rollercoaster, most of the time I'm very happy on a high level, but when you're always in such a rush, most of the time your stressed and you don't realize how great everything is in this very moment. I often sit in an airplane alone and I think: so relaxing, finally everything is quiet, but airplanes also make everything so highly emotional somehow; I laugh and cry more intensely on planes than anywhere else, it's tough ... but only when I watch movies or listen to music on planes, of course.

(Gotta go now, but I can do the rest later if anybody's interested.)

I watched the interview and I have to agree that she does come off as very arragont..
the way she talks about her life.. I don't know it just sounds very big-headed. and the fact that she corrected the interviewer like at least 5 times makes her also not very likeable.
She gives off a vibe that she has no humor and takes herself way to serious!

I just see a young woman who doesn't feel comfortable giving interviews. I wished people would more concentrate on the theme she is speaking about.

I find it really difficult to understand her. she is mumbling a bit.

no it´s not the fast talking.. she doesn´t speak clear....

Second part of the interview from post 539, starting at 04'45:

Were these the moments when you thought: I might be a little lonely now, but my life is so great and I want to actually do something for others?
Exactly, that's where it came from. I grew up in a bubble, everything was great all the time, I never even had to fight for my career, and I always knew: this is not normal, I want to give something back somehow, and I want to see the world as it really is. I always knew that it is not normal how I grew up and how lucky I was from the very beginning. And finally now I had the time, or took the time, to really search for a project and picked this great collaboration. I found this topic about girls' education through Plan, because I've been a partner for a kid there for quite some time and I knew that it was the perfect NGO for me. It's from Hamburg and has its offices all over the world, they have a lot of really great projects all over the world and then we agreed on Burkina Faso, because it is really my topic, a topic that has influenced my career a lot.

[They show a short film about Toni in Burkina Faso. The interview bit:]
"I haven't seen a single tv here or a single magazine, honestly, they have canisters at footballs and that's it. And apart from that they study, that's really amazing. I'm surprised they know what a model is, it's not that important to know, there are more important things to know in the world."

Very impressive pictures. What was the most impressive thing for you?
I just rewatched it for the first time..that is, I didn't see it at all before. So many things. Most of all the streets, the main streets, that really were the town, we were driving with our van and the film crew on these streets and looking out of the window was like the most exciting cinema ever. [this made me cringe, it's first world ignorance at its best]. Just to look out of the windows and to see how the people there live, all these kids there, without clothes, without food, without adults sometimes, in the middle of the desert, and every girl from 8 or 9 years on carries another baby on her back. I saw women carrying huge tables on their heads and they walked on very proudly, always straight, they couldn't turn around...just how they accept all of this as a given, and are content nevertheless, you wave and they smile back. all this waving all the time, I was waving all day long sitting in the car.

[they show another film that's cut out of the linked version]

Impressive how they manage to be still happy..
Yes, sure, it makes you happy...seeing that they have still their rituals...but this [where the film took place] was very rural, like three hours away from the next city, there was literally nothing, the women and the kids there looked at us as if we were extraterrestrials. It was very difficult there to get in touch.
The men really were the group leaders, it kind of shocked as, they [women and children] weren't allowed to look at us and to say hello. We always asked: 'Where's the mother? Where does the mother live'...

Even more important that you were there to draw attention to this project...
Yeah, sure, it's really very difficult, they stick to their religions very much. [She probably wanted to say that societies are organized according to religious patriarchic rules.]
So now your back again in your world, in a luxurious world, a great world. What do you take with you from this experience?
I'm still thinking about the girls, it was so easy for me to get my Abitur and they have to fight so hard for it, girls how get the scholarship to become a teacher sometimes have 3 or 4 children and see them once in two years because they have to live somewhere else, 5 hours away, to become a teacher. And the children now live with an aunt or a sister or a friend and they never see each other, only to become a teacher. So I'm really grateful that I made my Abitur...but I somehow want to bring them the simpleness of my life...

It's interesting, one might think, okay, they go there with a film team and so on, it's easy...but you were working 16 hours a day, every day for the whole week, you were driving around a lot...
we were driving around very much, yes, and it was very hot
...and you were one of the few people who didn't get sick.
Oh, you've heard about that, I thought it was top secret. Yeah, almost everybody got sick, I don't know why I didn't get sick...everybody had like 9 vaccinations before, we took malaria pills and so on, well... I'm half vegetarian anyway, and I only ate bread for one week there, you really have to be careful, it's such a different climate, the water is so different, everything... I really feel so sorry, some of us had to fight a little to come back.

[another film]

So Toni, you just told me that you gave a bottle of water to a man...
Yes, we went there together and wanted to see these gold mines, and at the beginning there was only this one guy in his mine, and three women a little further away, with a lot of children around them of course, and we were 2 or 3 hours away from any city or market place ... and we were drinking water and sweating all the time in our air conditioned car, and I had a bottle of water in my hand and felt so bad and gave it to him, and he took it right away and yelled at his people and everybody came running towards him clapping and he was drinking like...it was the first time in weeks or months he had really clean water, and he was so happy and like this... [gesture of gratefulness]
And I was like, 'Oh my god, I have to go back to the car, I'll give you a whole canister of water'.
Seeing this pictures I always think we should think more often about how good life is here in Germany...
...yeah, like, just leaving the tap on...

Were you so pretty as a child already?
Uuuhm ... no. I was very chubby, I had black hair when I was born and was very fat, my aunt always said 'what an ugly baby', so... no.
We have a few baby pics...[shows them]
Ah, well, yeah, they turned blonde at some point. And I always had this weird palm on my head.
Well that's what parents do to make sure the hair isn't all over the face... When you were like 13 years old, what did you dream of?
I was discovered at 13, and at 12...
I mean before you were discovered.
I didn't dream of anything...I always liked cutting hair, I played cashier, I really had no idea what I wanted to be as an adult. It would have come at 14 or 16, I think, but I had no idea at all.
And then there was this fan fest, world cup 2006, in Hamburg, you were at a fan fest...how was that, somebody approached you all of a sudden?
I just walked across Jungfernstieg to get to the cinema, and a game was on, not even Germany, and there was this agent, she picked me out of the crowd and said: 'Do you want to become a model?' All of my girls were with me, all of my friends, so I didn't have to explain it, it was clear, ok, she was approached, so now she's modeling.
But it's not that easy, I mean, how did your parents react?
My mum, well, was like 'I've always told you that you're beautiful, I always knew' - and I was like: 'well, I didn't know, I don't know', and we went to the agency together and talked it over...and yeah, then I had a contract... and then they helped me get a contract with agencies worldwide.

Again I need to leave, more coming soon. (It's still only half of the interview...)

Little Toni:

ndr.de via Starla/Bellazon

Don't really know,what to think about Toni.
Just like you guys I thought she seemed rather big headed/arrogant in the recent interview.
But I remembered this interview (starting at 4:20) in which she seems quite nice and fun. Sure she's tipsy, but maybe she just cared too much about her appearance in the recent interview.

So, what you guys thinking.. Is she helping out of altruism or for attention? I would love to hear a few opinions.

I think you overanalize her reaction.. I liked her in the interview.. The only time she seemed disturbed was when she had to stand up... I guess she didnt want to say the names because of paparazzi or fans, which didnt disturb me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomnes
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->