Travel Guide : New York City

its so funny their initial proposal for the project to the park commissioner in 1981 was
1 page long, and the rejection 107 pages.....

i wonder what they will do with all that fabric when they take it down!?

would be lovely to see it but i live too far away(all the way over the ocean).

In the article it said they were going to recycle everything. softgrey said she was going to post pics but I think the whole experience of walking under them and watching the movement would be awesome.

NouvelleVague said:
Yes, it was called the Running Fence. It was done in 1976, so it wasn't a recent thing.

he did the umbrellas more recently, liek 10 years ago may be, I was little but I rember them.

There's a wonderful slide show on how they were constructed on the link I posted.

model_mom said:
In the article it said they were going to recycle everything. softgrey said she was going to post pics but I think the whole experience of walking under them and watching the movement would be awesome.

they can always give some of that fabric to me, its a beautiful colour^_^

all i can do is imagine that fabric moving in the wind. it might look gorgoeus in a summer evening when the light is just fading to match the colour of the fabric and the mood it would create would be wonderful! its a pitty this is only in my imagination:cry:

I went yesterday and its amazing...you really have to be there to get the full experience. I think I might go back this weekend. Here are some pics:
gates3.jpg

yay...thx for the pictures dressage chick...i'm going on sat...

were there lots of people?...it looks crowded...especially for a weekday...

saturday may be a nightmare...eek... :ninja:

oh..i just realized...maybe that's just your class in the picture...LOL...

A "Gates" project worker uses acetone cleaner to remove graffiti commentary from one of artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude's vinyl covered poles which comprise "The Gates." (NYNewsday.com)

metal-on-metal said:
I'm gonna try to make it up there on Saturday, too. Maybe I'll see you, softgrey. :wink:
:lol:...one never knows...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kittyofsecrets
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->