Travel Guide : New York City

I embedded my answers into your quote:

seditionary said:
thank u guys for ur help so far...

wat im lookin for

hip boutiques.... ( sellin lesser known, underground designers and new york young talent etc - i think heathetee n pat field come in this category ) I suggest Williamsburg, Brooklyn for really "hip", unknown designers. Seriously, that's where it's at right now (I live and work in the area, it's become super trendy). Take the L train Canarsie-bound to Bedford Avenue (first stop in Brooklyn) and walk down Bedford -- you might especially like the boutique on the corner of Bedford & N 5 (or might be N4th, one of those, you'll see what I mean). If you want vintage, there's a BIG vintage (and reseller) store on N11th and Wythe (same subway stop) called Beacon's Closet, and a place called Vice Versa on Bedford & N4th. A GREAT vintage store (but pricier, too) in Manhattan is the Family Jewels on W 23rd Street between 7th & 6th Avenues. Back to Williamsburg, there used to be a store on N3rd & Wythe called the Landing that pretty much wins in the categoro of hip & unknown, but I'm not sure if it moved or closed down altogether. If I find out it just moved and where to, I'll update you on that.
the boutiques.... the regular designers... Depends on what type of designers. On the Upper East Side on 5th you'll find a lot of well-known designers, but also shop around SoHo for good boutiques.
nice restaurants.... eat basically anything ... so tell me ur fave s Well, I eat vegetarian/vegan food, so if you're looking for any of that, my favourites are:
  • Teany -- on Rivington between Orchard and Ludlow (Lower East Side, off the 2nd Avenue F). Vegan & vegetarian, TONS of great teas, super super cute. Moby owns it.
  • Red Bamboo -- vegan & vegetarian, "soul cuisine." On W4th Street between Broadway and McDougal, off the W4th F, V, A, C trains. It has lots of variety.
  • Sidewalk Cafe -- on Avenue A & E 6th St, take the L train to 1st Avenue. This one is not vegetarian, it has all kinds of food and everything I've had there is good, plus it's a cute atmosphere.
  • Anytime: in the same vein as Sidewalk, but VERY nicely decorated, if you take my advice and shop on Bedford Avenue, eat here, it's on N6th Street and Wythe Ave (two blocks from the Bedford Ave stop). I go here like 3 times a week.
  • Sea: across the street from Anytime, it's Thai food.
  • Kate's Joint: vegan & vegetarian, on Avenue B & E 4th Street
museums galleries.... ones that arent to modern arty, my dad said he wants to go the guggenheim The Guggeheim is great and usually has nice exhibitions. The Brooklyn Museum has a good exhibit on Jean Michel Basquiat right now, but I'm not sure if it'll still be around in August. I'm assuming you don't want to see MoMa by your criteria, so stick to the Upper East and West Sides, a lot of the well-known museums are there. I personally love the Asian and Jewish museums, but the Jewish one is very small and probably not worth the visit if your stay is short, just because there isn't that much to see.
and night clubs... ones which arent meat markets (i only said bungalow 8 n the tunnel as carrie mentioned them in satc)...dont u have any new style crazy ones like the ones we have in london ...like nag n c*ck n kashpoint?
ever heard of larry t.... apparently he has a good club... Honestly, I don't know about this ... I go to more low-key bars, and the only celebrity I see at my bar is James Iha (formerly of Smashing Pumpkins), but I think they're more fun that nightclubs and you see more "real" New York than in trendy clubs full of tourists and people who moved here from New Englad recently and want to do "the New York thing". If you want good Lower East Side or Brooklyn bars, I can tell you about some of those.

ps SOFTY.... like ah sed before... im in ny from 5th august till 11th... 6 nights... 7 days kind of

Slightly OT, but those of you who were talking about the "best" Century 21s, actually, the only one I would EVER go into is the one in Morristown, NJ. The ones here (here being New York) are way too picked-over and smaller, seriously, the one in New Jersey is the only one worth looking in if you have the time to go out there!

lunch - village- park

adorefaith said:
i have a favorite deli/lunch place there in nyc and cant for the life of me remember the name....if i remember correctly, its around the corner from the park lane & ritz carlton.. little italian place with the best panini and coffee...great little atmosphere

not sure where you mean but I love delizia on 60th betw park & madison. only open for lunch but its the best midtown lunch italian.
and mimi's pizza on lex/84th has best slices in nyc imo.

soho and the village

in the village try veselka on 2nd & 9th & also 'the stage' [village version] on 2nd betw 7th & st marks is great authentic ukraine coffee shoppe.

hidden away somewhere quiet in central park

many great spots like great lawn, sheep meadow, 5th/72nd, 5th/79th. reservoir.

the entire upper east side lol

my lifetime neighbourhood & still & always my favourite.

great walks:
madison ave from 57th- 96th.
5th ave from 59th- 96th.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Yorkers, What Are the Coolest Restaurants Right Now?

Myself and a friend are going to NYC in a week and we want to hit some cool restaurants. Any advice? We work in fashion, and we wouldn't mind ogling some stylish New Yorkers when we're out. We appreciate downtown style, ie. places like Cafe Gitane or Cafe Leibowitz, so something along that line of thought...

yeny said:
Myself and a friend are going to NYC in a week and we want to hit some cool restaurants. Any advice? We work in fashion, and we wouldn't mind ogling some stylish New Yorkers when we're out. We appreciate downtown style, ie. places like Cafe Gitane or Cafe Leibowitz, so something along that line of thought...

Are you going to restrict yourself to Manhattan? There is a small cafe in Carroll Gardens (in Brooklyn... take the F to Carroll Gardens stop and walk south a couple blocks) named Frankie's 457. Anytime and everytime I go there for dinner, there are all these uber hip men and their uber hip ladies in the most amazing garb... things I've never seen else where. The food is amazing and not expensive, and the interior is cozy and sort of romantic. It's my favorite place to go check out cool clothing. :-) I've had enough of the East Village!

If you go during the day for a bite to eat, you could check out the small shops on Smith St. There's some unique stuff around and about, as well as a couple good vintage clothing stores.

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/pages/details/10329.htm

I found it very amusing that I'm drawing a blank here. For some reason, the fashionable and the good restaurants rarely mix in New York.

I guess you should check out Schiller's Liquor bar, if you are into McNelly's chain. Just don't go to Pastis - it's scary. But if you do go to the meatsmelling district, I'd suggest Markt.

Also check out this place, I think it's wonderful.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/35879944/new_york_ny/ivo_lulu.html?cslink=search_name_noncust&ulink=search__searchslot2_520__0_profile_2_1

Yay, thanks guys! Keep it coming!

faust said:
I found it very amusing that I'm drawing a blank here. For some reason, the fashionable and the good restaurants rarely mix in New York.

Faust, I appreciate the challenge of finding restaurants that have that elusive combination of coolness, unpretentiousness and good design, music and food...so rare. I guess if I was to be more specific, I would say we're looking for restaurants where you can have a few drinks, get a bit dressed, mingle with cool people, observe the scene and eat something reasonably yummy.

I went to Schiller's in February and was kind of disappointed. Perhaps my expectations were too high because of all the rave reviews I'd been reading about it. The food was good and music were good, but I didn't find the crowd very cool. Maybe it's just too well-lit?

faust said:
Just don't go to Pastis - it's scary.

good call on staying away from Pastis. I went there and hated it, food wasn't great either (got sick afterwards).

yeny said:
Faust, I appreciate the challenge of finding restaurants that have that elusive combination of coolness, unpretentiousness and good design, music and food...so rare. I guess if I was to be more specific, I would say we're looking for restaurants where you can have a few drinks, get a bit dressed, mingle with cool people, observe the scene and eat something reasonably yummy.

I went to Schiller's in February and was kind of disappointed. Perhaps my expectations were too high because of all the rave reviews I'd been reading about it. The food was good and music were good, but I didn't find the crowd very cool. Maybe it's just too well-lit?

Well, any McNelly institution will get rave reviews, so you have to distrust those. I still like Odeon best, honestly - I don't care for his other places. His places are the kind that get cooled off fast, because the media picks it up fast, and than the suburban army invades them.

I honestly really like Bar89, even though the crowd has went to hell for the past two years, I have a hard time letting go of that place.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profi...&ulink=search__searchslot1_520__0_profile_2_1

Searching for Canal Street "underground" shops???

Hi,this very well maybe a long shot. But after spending the last 2 hrs on searching,then finally came across the fashion spot..lol. Ive been looking for underground (as they call them,i believe?) for replica designer bags. I ran into a lady the other day,with a beautiful Chanel purse. I commented on it,and she told me she got it on Canal Street in NYC for 20.00. As they are replica's,but I couldnt tell! Im assuming these stores arent listed on the web??? Im dieing to get a Chanel purse from there...and running out of options on looking for them??? Any ideas???? Thanks so much!!

this is a bar i like...
temple bar...very dark, moody, jazz music...feels 'grown up'...
B)

THE DRINKING LIFE

The NoHo Corral
By SAM SIFTON

Published: May 1, 2005

There are no clocks at Temple Bar, no visible windows, only heavy velvet drapes, dark Honduran mahogany, spotlights, club rugs, comfortable stools. There is no sign out front on Lafayette Street, nothing to alert passersby to the notion of the pleasures within. There is only a piece of art stuck to the brick -- a chameleon's skeleton -- and a stout green door.

A hint of spring may be in the air, a tang of the city carried through the neighborhood on a breeze, but temporal details do not intrude upon this bar. Inside there is only the faint smell of luxury, furniture polish mixed with bourbon and the Chanel on the woman down the bar. That and the sound of ice in a shaker, the welcome redress of a manhattan served straight up, no fruit.

Temple opened in 1989, the child of an oncologist restaurateur and his artist wife, and soon developed a reputation among a certain subset of Manhattan affluence as a destination in what was then an unreconstructed neighborhood north of the art markets of SoHo. It had a run, as the boys from Wall Street would put it, the place packed three deep down the zigzag bar and the back room crowded with a particular kind of youthful beauty. People went to Temple on rivers of silk, aboard rafts of Italian leather. They drank cocktails the size of milk bottles and winked at the world.

from the nytimes...rest of article here...
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/01/style/Sift.html?ex=1116993600&en=3d458d28a17b11bd&ei=5070

sounds like my kind of place....fancy a cocktail?:wink: I'd love to check it out next week:woot:

yankee stadium, if u like baseball at all
bronx zoo, if u like animals
botanical garden (the bronx one), if u like plants and flowers

shoppingwise:
soho
fifth avenue btwn 59th & 38th or so
madison avenue
(if u've got the money lol)
34th street, if not so much

hmmm
empire state bldg is a tad overrated but its still nice to go at least once in ur life

Pop in MPD: great place for drinks and the ambiance is really cool, the mini burgers are so yummy there
Pazzanotte: because i know the people there and they re so sweet and the food s the best
Gucci: great staff so helpful and nice
Union square: cool place
Luna Park Bar: for drinks but don t go to the washroom there :sick:
The Village: love love love it
Marquee: for great fun

Last but not least

Central Park: the best place for a little walk in the sun and pictures with ducks

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kittyofsecrets
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->