Travel Guide : New York City

I just went this evening. It was cold as sh*t but I loved it. It seems like something that has always been there but fittingly temporal.

thursday

went this afternoon.
for 1 minute the sun was out & it was magical shining through the saffrom & the trees.
i took pics at kerbs boat basin, the orange reflecting on the water.
then 10 ducks were flying on to the water, landing feet first & skimming 10 feet to a stop. I realized that nature is the real art & the beauty, that while the impressionistic assemblage of rows of screens on hills in a man made park is nice, a duck flying and skimming across water is a lot more impressive.
still others were excited by the artwork. we all took pics.
if the sun shone more it would have been more fiery alive.
I'll be back, I want to see the sheep meadow, the bandshell/mall, dog hill, even the great lawn. heard the kids zoo is nice.
overall- thumbs up.

the retail side...

Thursday, February 17, 2005
Opening the Gates to a Retail Rush
By Sharon Edelson
NEW YORK — When Barneys New York general manager Kevin Dyson stopped by the Madison Avenue flagship on Saturday, he had to do a double take. The level of activity suggested Christmas Eve, not an ordinary weekend in February.

The spectacle of 7,500 saffron-colored fabric panels fluttering along 23 miles of footpaths in the park has beckoned hundreds of thousands of viewers, a United Nations of tourists and locals. When all is said and done, “The Gates” may have the distinction of being one of the most successful events in the city’s recent history in terms of fueling the local economy.

Hermès since Jan. 20 has been previewing in its fourth floor gallery a documentary about the making of “The Gates” by Albert Maysles and Antonio Ferrera. The store hosted discussions with the artists and filmmakers and produced a commemorative scarf to benefit Nurture New York’s Nature Inc. An oversize print of the scarf pattern is displayed in one of the store’s Madison Avenue windows.
*“We’ve seen a nice jump in our business, with very strong double-digit increases,” said Robert Chavez,* president and ceo of Hermès U.S.A. “
Bloomingdale’s experienced double-digit gains on Sunday at its restaurants and in the 59th Street flagship, a spokeswoman said. he effect of “The Gates” is even being felt in neighborhoods that are far from the park. At Macy’s, a bump in international customers was noted by Patti Lee, senior vice president and general manager of the Herald Square flagship, who said tourists are buying status brands, shoes, handbags and cosmetics.

Lord & Taylor’s senior vice president of fashion merchandising, LaVelle Olexa, summed up the appeal of “The Gates”: “Whether you like it or not, whether you consider it art or not, it’s a happening and New York loves a happening. It’s energy and it’s exciting.

excerpt from wwd...:flower:

Thanks softgrey for the article and the pictures. I wish I could have been there to see it.

I went to go see it on Saturday. It was very beautiful, but VERY crowded.

New York in October...?

Hey Guys,

I'll be spending a couple of days to a week in New York this October, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good but reasonably priced accomodation? Also, can you think of anything fun to do/see with my family?

Thanks in advance! :heart:

Ooh, I didn't even realise that this thread had gone through! I kept getting error messages. Nevermind! :woot:

Columbus Day Parade is on the 12th of October..
If you or your family is into Basketball the season starts in October...

october is the best time to visit NYC. the weather is great and the city doesn't stink.

i love the soho grand and the tribecca grand. i think they're a medium priced hotel, but they're excellent in style.

all the hotels i know tend to be sort of trendy...a bit of a scene and not the most reasonably priced...sorry...

you might try the morgan...it's on madison ave and 37th street...it's one of ian schrager's hotels...
there is also the paramount and the royalton which are schrager hotels as well...
:flower:

:lol: do u have a thing about him or something softie?
u should come to his sanderson here....its the best

it's just a very obvious choice...he's know for stylish yet affordable hotels...
plus they are in a good location...basically midtown...so convenient to pretty much everything...

where are you going to stay acid?...do you know any hotels to recommend...?
:flower:

im gonna be staying in an appartment i think.
will sort all of that out nearer the time

i have a favorite deli/lunch place there in nyc and cant for the life of me remember the name....if i remember correctly, its around the corner from the park lane & ritz carlton.. little italian place with the best panini and coffee...great little atmosphere

soho and the village

hidden away somewhere quiet in central park

dylan's candy bar...brings out the child in you

the dkny store in the upper east side.... something very calming about it

the entire upper east side lol

and there's a hungarian restaurant somewhere in nyc that i LOVED and wish i could remember the name of...

the entire manhattan area is just plain fun... one of the greatest cities in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kittyofsecrets
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->