Travel Guide : New York City

know of any good websites/forums for expats living in NY?

Hmmmmm. Anybody?
Maybe I'll stick to London :cry:

If you don't qualify as someone who is highly skilled I would think it would be highly unlikely that you would get any sort of work permit for the states. They are quite hard to get from my research on the subject.

Thanks Meg, I'm thinking maybe your right

Mr. Lee said:
What are the best French restaurants in NYC?

Try Balthazar in SoHo (forgot the exact intersection; Spring and something (?)). Pricey, but the food is tasty as hell and the service is decent, too. It'd be a good idea to make reservations a few days in advance.

Has anyone ever been to Nobu? Is it any good? I hear that you have to make reservations like a few weeks in advance because it's always packed with celebrities and their hangers-on.

I feel like bumping this one. I'm going to New York in Jan. Staying 11 days to visit all the museums I can :lol:

But.. if any NYCers or others familiar with the city would recommend where to shop, eat and go clubbing...I'd SO appreciate it!

I know I should be more spesific.. like..what areas are your favourites..?
I'd like to go to some designer boutiques, as chanel, chloe, balenciaga and marc jacobs.. some department stores like saks (what are your favourites?) but mostly vintage stores......so I need tips on where there are good ones hmmm.. I can't think of what else.. I esecially would like recommendaions on what areas to browse.. please help :flower:

AshtonK said:
Has anyone ever been to Nobu? Is it any good? I hear that you have to make reservations like a few weeks in advance because it's always packed with celebrities and their hangers-on.

Nobu has seen better days, although I have not visited Nobu 57. Instead, I would check out Megu for top notch Japanese.

Shops that I would visit would all be in the Lower East Side and Nolita, esp. the Mayle Boutique (for Women) and Unis (for Men)...both on Elizabeth I believe.

Barneys/Barneys Co-op
H&M
Bergdorf shoe/handbag department
Henri Bendel
tokyo joe's - consignment store on the lower east side, 11th street
Calypso - meatpacking
jeffrey - meatpacking, 14th street
earnest sewn store - meatpacking
Catherine Malandrino - meatpacking
Yohji - Soho Grand Street
If - Grand Street

To Eat:
Freeman's, LES, Freeman's Alley, great scene, great drinks, great food.
Rairaiken, ramen joint in the east village, 10th Street
Kun Jip, korean food, 32nd street
9th Street Market, Brunch, the best, go on thursday or friday
Megu, Japanese, tribeca, hot scene
Grey Dog Cafe, nice sandwiches and salads on your way to Marc by Marc store, West Village
Bette, Amy Sacco's place, havent been but heard its a pretty hot scene.
Pearl Oyster Bar, West Village
Lombardi's, Pizza, Spring Street
Rice to Riches, Rice Pudding, Cherry Marscapone, enough said, Spring Street
Blue Ribbon Bakery, Best egg's benedict, west village
Blue Ribbon Sushi, good late nite spot, food is top notch.
Cafe Gitane, small place in Nolita, quite sceny, food is decent.
Babbo, Mario Batali's Joint, My fav. Rest., Village
Per Se, New American, 3 star michelin rating, good luck getting a ressy.
popcorn indiana, the best kettle corn ever, time square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
What are the best French restaurants in NYC?

AshtonK said:
Try Balthazar in SoHo (forgot the exact intersection; Spring and something (?)). Pricey, but the food is tasty as hell and the service is decent, too. It'd be a good idea to make reservations a few days in advance.

I would not consider Balthazar french fare, it is pretty much the prototype french bistro, and the biggest cash cow as far as restaurants go. Hands down the best french restaurant in New York is Le Bernardin, just got a three star rating from Michelin. Eric Rippert is a legend.

For nouveau French-American, Per Se.

how's Chelsea? I'll be staying there a lot to go see all the galleries... any shopping and eating recommendations for that area?

therese said:
how's Chelsea? I'll be staying there a lot to go see all the galleries... any shopping and eating recommendations for that area?
CDG and Balenciaga are in the gallery row (so to speak). Not many stand outs as far as food places.

Agreed that Balthazar sucks.

therese said:
:woot: that's going to be dangerous (for my wallet).

thanks! :flower:

My pleasure. CDG is easy to miss, because it looks like this from the outside

028C.jpg

New York City Hotels

i just would need any help from anyone that knows of a good hotel to stay at, i am going in january, any past experiences and good location info welcome, budget 2000 to 2500 i may go a little more.:P

i want to stay for 14 nights, i noyced that i forgot that to, my bad.

I recommend the Hudson or Shoreham. Both might be a bit more than your budget... but they are in good locations and nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexica
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->