Travel Guide : New York City

Madison Ave is one of the main streets. High End boutiques starts from 57th to the 80's.

Central Park:
Central Park South; 5th Ave; Museum Row/5th Ave.

Celeb sights is all over Manhattan, not just one area. One thing great about NYC celebs blend in with the crowd. :P So if you have a very sharp eye you can spot them.

SoHo: is an acryonym for south of Houston Street.

Carrme said:
okay sorry 3 more questions:

Im reading through the thread and Madison Ave come up alot.. is that like the main road?

and what street in Central Park on?

I guess lower Manhatten is the best for shopping and celeb sights?
and what is soho? is that like a mini village in NYC?

thank-you hehe

SoHo was by far my favourite places in NYC.. :smile: I didn't like Chelsea much, I expected it to be something more special..
Madison Ave. was nice, less touristy than 5th Avenue which is a definite plus..
Also - Greenwich Village was cute, there was this small street with the most adorable houses and cafes, next to this park..forget it's name, think it's Washington Square Park or something like that.

Smartarse you are one smartarse! Thank-you so much for taking the time :smile:

Carrme said:
What hotels are close to downtown... where there's alot of shopping?

First, a caution, because I have lived in the UK for the last two years and New York City is constantly changing, so a present native may correct me, and I'm operating from memory. But 20 years of living there has left me with a pretty good mental map.

Pretty much anywhere in Manhattan is where there is lots of shopping. A lot of Manhattan consists of buildings with shops at street level, and sometimes the basements and the floor above street level, and offices or apartments above. But from Madison Avenue west to 7th Ave or Broadway are the main shopping streets in Midtown, say from 59th to 42nd. Shopping streets stretch wider then, from say 2nd Ave to as far as 11th Ave in the Meat Packing District, which is now anything but, and now has a bunch of designer shops. It's funny to hear someone ask the street for Central Park because it stretches all the way from 59th Street to 110th Street and from 5th Avenue to 8th Avenue.

If you're on thefashionspot, you MUST visit the fashion district, which runs from about 25th St. to 40th Street from 5th Avenue to 8th Avenue. Include a visit to the Fashion Institute of Technology Museum at 27th on 7th (also known as Fashion) Ave. It's always interesting. There's a booth (7th and 40th maybe?) under a shelter that looks like a button and needle that has information of all types on the district. In this area, the buildings are full of showrooms and workshops where everything gets created, and the store-level places are suppliers to the trade or wholesalers.

Macy's is at 34th and 6th, Bloomy's is at 59th and 5th, and the big designers are on Madison (which is just east of 5th Ave.) above 59th. Madison is very interesting to walk all the way from 59th up to 80's, where it is convenient to walk east to the Metropolitan Museum.

Broadway is another good walking street. I'd walk that one from 8th St.. south to Canal. In between, West is Soho and the Village, East is the East Village, which is funkier. At Canal is Chinatown, and below Canal and to the West is Tribeca (Triangle Below Canal). That entire area also has a good number of designer shops and is good for shopping.

All the bookstores will carry more than one shopping guide book. so you might want to visit the first B&N or Borders you happen across. Enjoy.

Oh forgot! Theory is now open in the Meatpacking District !:woot:

34th Street: another shopping area

Herald Square: NYC's mall

Lexington Ave: 58th-59th streets - Bloomingdales

Bergdorf Goodman: 5th Ave between 57th and 59th Streets

Saks Fifth Ave: 5th Ave across from Rockefeller Center

SoHo's Broadway: from Houston Street all the way to 8th Street. Store galore! But major foot traffic. I personally dont have patience but then i live there.

Time Warner Building on Columbus Circle: got LOTS of stores, JCrew, Beneton, Sisley, Bose, Borders, etc... really nice and downstairs if you start getting the munches there's Whole Foods. and get this, the most important thing .... the building has CLEAN public restrooms! you can asked the guards where if you can't find the signs.

Union Square Area:
you get some bargains on 14th Street (from 8th Ave till Union Square Park)

*and on 5th Ave around the Flatiron District passed Madison Square Park from 24th Street on up there are stores...there's a store who only does sample sales. IT varies from designers (big name to lesser names) so if and when you go check it out.

*also, best to get a small map of the streets at the book store. Barns and Noble on Union Square is just one of the stores to get it from.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Waldorf Astoria?​

Is it closer (than Grand Hyatt) to 5th Avenue etc.??​

Which of the hotels do you prefer?​

so does anyone have a favorite thrift shop in New york city? Im so up for thrift shopping in NYC! Thanks!

...there's a Salvation Army Store on 23rd St between 1st and Park Ave. South.

Here are some of the thrift stores I frequent...

• Rags-A-GoGo on 14th street. Other location : St. Marks Place
  • Cheap Jack's on 5th Ave @ 31st Street. This has go to be THE biggest vintage clothing store ever! LOVE LOVE THIS PLACE!
  • Reminiscence on 23rd St between 7th and 6th Aves.
  • Andy's Cheepees in the Village on Bway
  • I go to East Village ; there are small boutiques from 5th to 6th Sts. Sorry I can't remember the name. But if you go on a sunny day they'll have some of the clothes hunged outside the shop.
  • I go to West Village; same as above.

Carrme said:
so does anyone have a favorite thrift shop in New york city? Im so up for thrift shopping in NYC! Thanks!

Those sound fun! i'll put them on the itinerary lol! Much appreciated

I do prefer the Waldorf, however, its location is quite boring... surrounded by corporate companies so it could be really desolate and blah on weekends.

The Grand Hyatt is another good hotel but you have to be specific on which location you're looking. The one on E. 42nd St is very busy and lively! Go there if you want excitement. *this is only a block and half from 5th Ave.

Filippa said:
What about Waldorf Astoria?​

Is it closer (than Grand Hyatt) to 5th Avenue etc.??​

Which of the hotels do you prefer?​

Best thrift store? Housing Works on 17th west of Broadway. There are several on the same block, but that's the best.

Best restaurant = Pastis. It's also right across from the Gansevoort hotel which has an AWESOME bar.

I also really like this place called Tao, an awesome Asian food place. It's gigantic, got a HUGE giant budda in the middle...so cool. I took my boyfriend there for his birthday dinner last year and we both loved it.

I'll be in New York at the end of the month. I haven't been there since I was a baby, so I'm really, really excited. Do you guys know, I know you know, of good shops that are cheaper, but have some amazing stuff? I'll make a stop at all the big places, but anything I shouldn't miss? Restaurants even?

Sorry to gatecrash this thread, i'm going to be in NY next week. I've managed to get some good tips re shopping and restaurants but just wondering what clubs/bars are good these days? Preferably indie/electronica, not really into in r'n'b etc. thanks!

I'm going to New York end of October - November and I wondered if you guys know any good thrift stores?
And is Nobu hard to get a reservation for at night?

There's this fabulous kitschy place I love to death called Yaffa Cafe. Also go to Beacon's Closet in Williamsburg for designer and funky thrift scores!

I'm going to New York end of October - November and I wondered if you guys know any good thrift stores?

Cheap Jack's Vintage Clothing - 303 5th ave.

Tokio 7 - East 7th Street

Housing Works (really good) - theres about 7 of them in NYC
http://housingworksauctions.com/about.cfm?store

Angel Street Thrift Shop - 118 West 17th Street

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Thrift Shop - 1440 3rd Ave

And someone else mentioned, Williamsburg area in Brooklyn also has some good stores.

BTW, I've never been to Nobu but it is verrry expensive(even for NYC) but I don't know how hard it is to get a reservation. You may want to try Nobu Next Door, which has the same menu but doesn't require reservation. It's on 105 Hudson Street.

There is always something going on and plenty of things to do but it feels very lonely here at times. It's always been a love/hate with me and this city :huh:

:blink: how does NYC become lonely? it's funny how some people comment that you can never feel lonely in NYC but some people say otherwise....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pietrobundchen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->