Travel Guide : New York City

Thank you so much! ^_^ I did some searching under NYC, but I did it under this board only... should of thought to check the others. Thanks for pointing out those links! Karma to you! :flower:

This summer I'll be living in NYC and going to art school part time. ^_^ I'm very excited (I think adventures are bound to happen in a place like NYC, and I think the place is very full of possiblities and oppurtunties, especially for an artist like myself), but also a bit scared because I've never lived on my own and I've never lived in a big city.

I was wondering, for those here who live in NYC or even if you've just been there before, could you give me any advice or any tips for living in NYC? :flower:

And specfically, if you could answer any of these random questions...

1. My older sister says I shouldn't go ANYWHERE in NYC alone. And while I certainly don't plan on going around alone at night ever, during broad daylight... do you think it would be ok for me to go some places? Sometimes I just like to take walks and such by myself and think, and so forth... do you think it's dangerous for me as a pretty young (17 to be exact) girl to go out in NYC on my own?

absolutely not. there is no reason for you to not be going out alone at 17 in the daytime. new york is just like any other big city, just be street smart and you're fine. actually, 90% of it is probably safer than most big cities right now.

what's the point of going to NYC for a summer if you think you can't walk outside by yourself?? :blink:

I'm going to be staying in White Plains for the month. Any cool places/shopping there? and which train to take into the city?

absolutely not. there is no reason for you to not be going out alone at 17 in the daytime. new york is just like any other big city, just be street smart and you're fine. actually, 90% of it is probably safer than most big cities right now.

what's the point of going to NYC for a summer if you think you can't walk outside by yourself?? :blink:

Don't worry I agree! I mean I don't really want to go to NYC if I can never even go out by myself. :P I was just wondering though since my sister (who, unlike me, has been to NYC, though just for a visit) was like, "you should never go out by yourself in NYC, even in daylight!" but then again, I should know, my older sister is always kind of overly cautious and safe. :rolleyes: :wink:

Thanks for your assurance though, it's good to hear! ^_^

This summer I'll be living in NYC and going to art school part time. ^_^ I'm very excited (I think adventures are bound to happen in a place like NYC, and I think the place is very full of possiblities and oppurtunties, especially for an artist like myself), but also a bit scared because I've never lived on my own and I've never lived in a big city.

I was wondering, for those here who live in NYC or even if you've just been there before, could you give me any advice or any tips for living in NYC? :flower:

And specfically, if you could answer any of these random questions...

1. My older sister says I shouldn't go ANYWHERE in NYC alone. And while I certainly don't plan on going around alone at night ever, during broad daylight... do you think it would be ok for me to go some places? Sometimes I just like to take walks and such by myself and think, and so forth... do you think it's dangerous for me as a pretty young (17 to be exact) girl to go out in NYC on my own?

2. Know any good thrift store and vintage shops? Basically know any places with cool and unique (I'm not really into trendy clothes everyone else is wearing) and affordable clothes?

3. Any places or events that I should check out in NYC that involve fashion, film, design, art... pretty much any of that stuff I'm very passionate about and interested.

Anyway, ANY help, advice, or even just your opinions and takes of NYC would be very, very appreciated! :heart:

Lol it's not dangerous at all, in fact the city is the safest it's ever been in quite a while. I've gone around the city by myself since I was about 13 or 14, and lived here my whole life. :smile:

Visiting New York Next Week. Any Insider Tips?

As the topic very much explains I am visiting NY next week with my friend, and are looking for tips so we won't walk straight in to the tourist traps. We are staying for a week, and I know after living in London for a year, that a week isn't very much time in a city that great. I would love for any insider tips about shopping, clubbing, cultural events etc. from tfs'ers who lives or have visited NY before. Thank you so much in advance guys. :flower:

I'm planning a trip with a couple friends. What are the names of some clubs where there are a lot of international "jet set" type of people? Thanks. ^_^

Hello everyone! I'm planning a trip to NY on june, but unfortunately I'd be going alone :S If anyone there wants a travel buddy or anyone who lives there would like to show me some places, please contact me to talk and see if eventually we could do a meetup!
Thanks a lot!

Waterfall Art in New York City

Waterfall art installation in New York City this summer
Mon May 19, 2:53 PM ET

NEW YORK - If you're visiting New York City this summer, don't be surprised to find a waterfall next to the Brooklyn Bridge.

The spectacle will be one of four manmade waterfalls built on the shores of the city's East River by Scandinavian artist Olafur Eliasson. The water will course over scaffolding 90 to 120 feet high, from late June to Oct. 15, from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily, and will be illuminated after sunset.
The locations will be the Brooklyn base of the Brooklyn Bridge, Governor's Island, Pier 35 in Lower Manhattan, and between Piers 4 and 5 in Brooklyn.
There will be numerous public vantage points, including from the Brooklyn and Manhattan waterfront and from the pedestrian path of the Brooklyn Bridge.
Circle Line Downtown - 866-925-4631 or http://www.circlelinedowntown.com - is the official boat tour operator for the event.
Other cruises offering views of the falls include those offered by South Street Seaport Museum (212-748-8786); New York Water Taxi (212-742-1969), and Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises (212-563-3200). For big spenders, Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises is offering a $50,000 private tour, complete with champagne, a pair of diamond earrings, dinner for two and a night in a presidential suite.
A number of hotels, including the Plaza Athenee, Roosevelt and Mandarin Oriental, are offering special packages in conjunction with the waterfalls. The Ritz-Carlton New York at Battery Park is uniquely located to offer rooms with a view of the falls; packages starting at $480 a night include an in-room telescope, breakfast for two and two boat tour tickets. Details at http://www.ritzcarlton.com.
Eliasson's project comes three years after artist Christo and his wife, Jeanne-Claude, draped 23 miles of Central Park footpaths with orange fabric gates. That event drew an estimated 4 million visitors to the park, including 1.5 million out-of-towners.
Eliasson is known for using elements of nature in his art. A retrospective of his work opened at the Museum of Modern Art in April.
The New York City Waterfalls exhibition was commissioned by the Public Art Fund, which is organizing the event in collaboration with New York City.

oh ok...finally found it....
ok... i'm planning to come to NY in sept. (nothing sure yet.... it will all depend on my bf's own journey in NY)...
anyway, if i'm coming i have some questions...
Do you guys think 500 $ (max. 700$) is enough for 15 days in NY - i'm not talking about hotels or appt or anything... just to live???
I ab. do not plan to buy outfits or anything expensive.... just cheap souvenirs or cheap outfits maybe magazines but that's it....
500-700$ would be just for dining outside, going in bars once in a while, museums (of course but i'm art history student maybe you have discount for this, non?) and galleries.... and of course cigarettes (but i guess i'll buy them in taxfree if it's allowed)...
i'm about to come like a normal student....... as if i do live in the country.... hate the tourists trips

so do you really think 500-700$ is enough ? (I guess and do hope my bf will pay for some stuff ....:wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:
oh ok...finally found it....
ok... i'm planning to come to NY in sept. (nothing sure yet.... it will all depend on my bf's own journey in NY)...
anyway, if i'm coming i have some questions...
Do you guys think 500 $ (max. 700$) is enough for 15 days in NY - i'm not talking about hotels or appt or anything... just to live???
I ab. do not plan to buy outfits or anything expensive.... just cheap souvenirs or cheap outfits maybe magazines but that's it....
500-700$ would be just for dining outside, going in bars once in a while, museums (of course but i'm art history student maybe you have discount for this, non?) and galleries.... and of course cigarettes (but i guess i'll buy them in taxfree if it's allowed)...
i'm about to come like a normal student....... as if i do live in the country.... hate the tourists trips

so do you really think 500-700$ is enough ? (I guess and do hope my bf will pay for some stuff ....:wink:)

BerlinRocks, for how long are you staying? I was in NYC last week, for 8 days, and although we did live quite a good life down there, we spent way more than $500. However, I am sure it is possible to survive on those kind of money. Taxi is quite cheap, or you can get a 1 week metro pass for about $25. Cigarettes are about $7-8, and I found that a lunch with drinks in any normal café was about $10, and dinner with wine between $20-25. This was mainly lower Manhattan, I have no idea if the prices are different other places. Also, I am sure you can find both cheaper and waay more expencive places, like everywhere. Furtermore, with the dollar being so weak right now I am sure your euros will last you longer. And if you live central, it is almost always possible to walk (wear flats though). :P Good luck!

^thanks a lot for replying...
well I wanted to stay like 15 days... my bf would be in Manhattan... so I guess walk is ok (by the way, I always wear flats :wink:) and taxi for the evening.... lunch and dinner seem cheap.... as in France a lunch is about 10-15€ and dinner about 25-30€ (without wine..... of course it all depends where you go).... so that's perfect! I'll buy cigarettes in taxfree (it seems to be the same price than in France)
700$ would be good, then....

thanks Dohertysgirl

No problem BerlinRocks. I hope I haven't mislead you when it comes to prices. I am quite sure that's about what we paid for food. Also, I would reccomend you to walk around in the East Village are during day, and Lower East Side is great at night. Brooklyn (Williamsburg) is wonderful for small cafes and vintage shopping, and I will pm you a couple of secrets. :wink:

Are there any open air markets to check out in July? I want to find things that I don't have in my city and I want to know where I can stumble upon these types of things. :blush:

Any New Yorkers going to Misshapes this Saturday night (June 7th)?

Source/ Cityguides.msn.com

F86E7A59322A34F5177082E8CB83.jpg

Taste of the Town

1 | 2 | 3 | Next >

Space might be at a premium in New York, but these vendors have taken it to the streets with small food carts that are big on creativity and flavor.

By Sean Mahoney for MSN City Guides

Hot dog vendors have been rolling their carts through tourist spots for as long as anyone in New York City can remember. These days, halal meat carts are just as common, as are those comforting silver coffee and bagel boxes you’ll find on street corners every morning.

Taking their inspiration from these mobile food merchants, an innovative breed of food vendors has set up “shop” around town. Offering dishes, drinks and treats rivaling the standard brick and mortar establishments, these carts provide an inexpensive alternative for foodies across the board. In fact, competition’s getting so stiff the city is now host to the Vendy Awards, an annual cook-off featuring the best food vendors, nominated by the public. Here are some favorites from a New Yorker who has done more than his fair share of eating:

The Mud Truck
(Locations in Sheridan Square and Astor Place)

While Starbucks might provide a consistent double-roasted blend across many, many chain locations, coffee drinkers’ palates are as diverse as New Yorkers themselves. Fortunately, the city’s java heads have no shortage of options, not least of which is the Mud Truck, a family owned and operated coffeehouse-on-wheels that parks and pours in Astor Place every morning (with a brand-new truck recently dispatched to Sheridan Square). The carefully selected coffee, brewed from Rainforest Alliance Certified beans, is full-bodied and flavorful. This attention to detail spills over to their fresh from the oven breakfast offerings, including locally baked bagels and muffins–no pre-packaged food full of preservatives here. And, if you find yourself needing to openly declare your true feelings for the Mud Truck, you can buy T-shirts and coffee mugs from Mud’s online store or directly from their hard-to-miss orange truck.

SOUP
(West 45th Street between Fifth and Sixth avenues)

When the weather turns brisk, New Yorkers turn to their meals to help fight off the chill – and there’s no better way to warm your core than a bellyful of soup. Look no further than 45th Street in Manhattan’s Theatre District, where you’ll spot a red banner halfway up the block from Sixth Avenue proclaiming that SOUP is here! Among the fifteen or so soups on the menu, the best of the batch is the chicken and dumpling, closely followed by the meaty lobster and crab bisque, as well as the expertly seasoned pasta fagioli. If you’re in the mood for something that will really stick to your ribs, try a bowlful of chili, and don’t refuse the warm dinner roll or you’ll have nothing to mop up the last delicious bites – you can worry about denying yourself those empty carbs on another day.

CONTINUED: N.Y. Dosas
1 | 2 | 3 | Next >

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arielmarison
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->