Travel Guide : New York City

i said it before and i'll say it again...

i strolled downtown
i roamed the streets
searching for
that familiar beat

the heart of the city
the pulse of the town
it seems the excitement
has somewhat died down

the artists are elsewhere
the masses moved in
it seems that my city
is less than it's been

i stop in a cafe
to seek some relief
and am somewhat surprised
by the strength of my grief

my city is changing
that's certainly clear
and it makes me ponder
'what's left for me here...'

but as i step back
and look all around
i remember
'it's the best city i've ever found'

i :heart: ny...

:heart: :flower:

how inspiring :heart::D:heart::flower:

I think the best thing about living here is that no matter who you are there really is a place for you, there is always something to do, and you never feel alone (at least I don't). The shopping is obviously fabulous, as is the culture.
I only live here for about a third of the year so I don't feel the lows as much, but this City can take a lot out of you. If you are having a bad day here it is magnafied, tres draining. Also, like everyone else said, everything is much more expensive here. You don't notice it at first, but then you realize that you can go through like $100 a day just by getting take out and taking a couple of cabs. Besides all that though, it is still the most fabulous place in the world.

She said I was having a nervous breakdown and should go to Atlantic City. I'm not that broken down yet

have you gone there?

why is it magnified if you are having a bad day?

what do people in new york do for a living , majority?

Going to NYC next week.
Any tips on the cool/interesting little shops? (not the main brand/chains where everybody goes to).
And what bars/clubs are "in" nowadays??
Thanks for your help in advance!!!

For those cute little "unknown" shops, I love going to the meatpacking district. Fantastic stuff. Go here --> Superfuture, for a basic map of places in NYC.

I am so jealous! I wish I could live there, I was thinking in going a few months to work in anything and just living there, but I think I can't afford it :(!!! Why appartments are so expensive??!!

I guess I'm lucky to live in dorms! :smile: If I could live anywhere in the city, it would be in the Village. That area is so much fun at night and has a really residential feel to it compared to other parts of the city.

hi everyone !!
can someone kindly tell me where can i find a good opera theater? thanks alot :smile:

Living in Manhattan

What's the best way to go about finding an apartment in Manhattan? I'd prefer the Upper East side, Upper West side or Midtown. What price range should I expect? Is it worth it to buy versus rent? Where do I start? :unsure: NY is just incredibly overwhelming but it's an awesome city. Thanks! :flower:

I am planning to go to NY-city around fall this year. I want to rent a bike, but I don't know if it's safe doing that :unsure:

I am planning to go to NY-city around fall this year. I want to rent a bike, but I don't know if it's safe doing that :unsure:

Like a bicycle? or a motorcycle?
I'm going to NY for my first time in late August. I'm excited. :shifty:

^ a bicycle. I got some information from an article about cities, about 'things you can do in New York city'. Renting a bicycle was one of them. I am planning to do a lot with the subway.. and a lot of walking ^_^
yourbestfriend I hope it's not going to be too hot in NY-city around that time of the year.

What's the best way to go about finding an apartment in Manhattan? I'd prefer the Upper East side, Upper West side or Midtown. What price range should I expect? Is it worth it to buy versus rent? Where do I start? :unsure: NY is just incredibly overwhelming but it's an awesome city. Thanks! :flower:

I found my apartment, which I rent through craigslist. I went straight through the owner, so I did not have to pay a fee.
Apartment hunting in Manhattan is extremely competitive!!!! You must try to be the first person to view an apartment, because they get taken straight away.
Rent price obviously depends on the area, and the size of the apartment you want. The average/small studio is around $1900 a month. But that is downtown. Up town is less expensive in my experience.
Of course buying IMO is always better than renting, because renting is just throwing away money.

Hope this helps!!

^ a bicycle. I got some information from an article about cities, about 'things you can do in New York city'. Renting a bicycle was one of them. I am planning to do a lot with the subway.. and a lot of walking ^_^
yourbestfriend I hope it's not going to be too hot in NY-city around that time of the year.

It probably will be a giant sauna but August is the best time for me to go, and I guess I can take a little heat? Is it seriously that bad? can't be worse than going somewhere tropical no?

Anyywas, I hope you have fun teratel. Riding bikes is fun, I used to do that in one of the big parks here where I live.

yourbestfriend in The Big Apple around August 2008,

Hot town, summer in the city
Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty
Been down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city :neutral:

Thanks, I hope you have fun too! ^_^

tween in the city

I'm trying to help a friend of mine, who will be taking her pre-teen daughter to NY for the first time.
I'm trying to think of some fun spots to take her...she's quite a sophisticated kid, who loves Paris (well, the idea of Paris) but wants to see the sights
I've got the Natural History museum, lunch at Balthazar (that Paris thing), Serendipity, Dylan's Candy Bar, also the usual suspects like Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and a show (probably Disney-themed).

Anyone have any suggestions for restaurants/shopping/attractions? This will be a late spring/early summer trip when she's out of school.
thanks!

I'm starting classes there in the Fall, but I'm not sure if I am going to actually live there or live with my boyfriend who is moving to New Jersey in July. Either way I'm SUPER nervous about the city in general.

anyone else coming there this fall for school or anything? I would love a friend hehe

Does anyone know how far away Long Island is from the city? I want to attend Hosftra University, and I want to know how long it'll take the train to get to NYC. :flower:

New York City

This summer I'll be living in NYC and going to art school part time. ^_^ I'm very excited (I think adventures are bound to happen in a place like NYC, and I think the place is very full of possiblities and oppurtunties, especially for an artist like myself), but also a bit scared because I've never lived on my own and I've never lived in a big city.

I was wondering, for those here who live in NYC or even if you've just been there before, could you give me any advice or any tips for living in NYC? :flower:

And specfically, if you could answer any of these random questions...

1. My older sister says I shouldn't go ANYWHERE in NYC alone. And while I certainly don't plan on going around alone at night ever, during broad daylight... do you think it would be ok for me to go some places? Sometimes I just like to take walks and such by myself and think, and so forth... do you think it's dangerous for me as a pretty young (17 to be exact) girl to go out in NYC on my own?

2. Know any good thrift store and vintage shops? Basically know any places with cool and unique (I'm not really into trendy clothes everyone else is wearing) and affordable clothes?

3. Any places or events that I should check out in NYC that involve fashion, film, design, art... pretty much any of that stuff I'm very passionate about and interested.

Anyway, ANY help, advice, or even just your opinions and takes of NYC would be very, very appreciated! :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pietrobundchen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->