Travel Guide : New York City

For those visiting NYC, might I reccomend the Shake Shack (http://www.shakeshacknyc.com/ ) in Madison Square. Yes, you may have around 50-150 people in line in front of you (no joke!) and you may have to stand there for at least an hour or so, but there food is worth it. (Well, duh! ^_^ Why else do you think so many New Yorkers frequent there and are willing to stand in such long lines... after all, I like most New Yorkers, are in a hurry! :P)

From my many visits there (I was addicted, and to no help, only 2 blocks away from the Shack Shake) I can tell you that usually about 5-5:30pm is the least busy time (if you dislike the wait). :flower:

Anyway if you want some sort of complicated fancy food, the Shake Shack may not be your place... But if you want some killer good burger and fries, and a milkshake (or something similar) here's your place!

P.S. The customer service is GREAT! Once there was like a 60 second delay on my shake, and they offered me free fries for while I waited (and I didn't have to wait for more than like a minute or two, so it wasn't really bad at all!) I appreciated their kindness though! ^_^

I posted this in the "your dry cleaners" thread, too, but thought this thread may get more traffic.

I'd love some help with dry cleaners in Manhattan. I just had a bit of bad luck with a much-loved item being lost by a dry cleaner who swore they'd reimburse me or find it and then did neither. Having been burned, I'm hesitant to just try any old place (especially because the one I used was recommended by several online websites).

Manhattan tFSers! Please help out a girl with a pile of good, expensive, adored dry clean only pieces!

Anyone know of any good sites or something that update on events going on around the city? I'm going to be there for months at a time for school and I'd like to know of cool things I can do on weekends and stuff.

I posted this in the "your dry cleaners" thread, too, but thought this thread may get more traffic.

I'd love some help with dry cleaners in Manhattan. I just had a bit of bad luck with a much-loved item being lost by a dry cleaner who swore they'd reimburse me or find it and then did neither. Having been burned, I'm hesitant to just try any old place (especially because the one I used was recommended by several online websites).

Manhattan tFSers! Please help out a girl with a pile of good, expensive, adored dry clean only pieces!

oh wow, i feel for you :doh:
thank God i haven't had any of my dry clean go missing/lost on me. i'd seriously die!

depending on where you are in manhattan... i've gone to 4 [i alternate, depending on my mood] ...

1] in Tribeca... Murray Cleaners: 275 Greenwich St.

2] in Tribeca... NY's Finest French Cleaners : 141 Reade St.

3] in Tribeca ... it's new [sorry forgot the name]: it's on the corner of West Broadway and Murray.

4] in Battery Park City ... it's the only dry cleaner on South End.

i hope you'll have better luck :lucky:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh! :buzz: mkd1187 could be the chief of this thread, for sure! ^_^

I know nothing about NYC. Let me ask: How far away is Times Square from Broadway? Or are they the same thing? :doh:

oh wow, i feel for you :doh:
thank God i haven't had any of my dry clean go missing/lost on me. i'd seriously die!

depending on where you are in manhattan... i've gone to 4 [i alternate, depending on my mood] ...

1] in Tribeca... Murray Cleaners: 275 Greenwich St.

2] in Tribeca... NY's Finest French Cleaners : 141 Reade St.

3] in Tribeca ... it's new [sorry forgot the name]: it's on the corner of West Broadway and Murray.

4] in Battery Park City ... it's the only dry cleaner on South End.

i hope you'll have better luck :lucky:

Big karma to you for the referrals! I'm downtown but would travel with my dry cleaning to a reputable cleaners, and Tribeca is close. Thank you so much smartarse!

Ahhh! :buzz: mkd1187 could be the chief of this thread, for sure! ^_^

I know nothing about NYC. Let me ask: How far away is Times Square from Broadway? Or are they the same thing? :doh:

Times Square/Broadway are basically the same thing. All of the Broadway shows are right in Times Square. Broadway is the street that goes right through Times Square. :smile:

Oh my! Then I must have been in Times Square then!

I remember there was a huge Cup Noodle and Budweiser beer bottle in huge lights. Must've been it. ^_^

Thanks for the help, The Kiwi. :kiss:

I need help!
I will be going to NYC in October (dates not set yet) with my bf for 2 weeks. I will be staying at the Waldorf, and its my first time visiting NYC so I have a lot of questions.

1.)First of all, I know the Waldorf is famous, and I have been to their website, but I really want to know of the experiences of people that have been there or know someone who has been there. I guess my concern is whether the people there are going to be all snotty and act like I shouldn't be there or do they roll out the red carpet for everyone?

2.)For about a week and a half I will be exploring the city all alone (my bf will be working during that time :cry:), and as much as I enjoy fashion and shopping, I don't think I can spend 10 straight days doing nothing else but shopping. Does anyone have suggestions of what else I can do with my days (besides going to the MET because I'll be going there with my bf on his day off)? Are there other museums worth visiting besides the MET?

3.)One problem that I have out here in TX, is that its hard for me to find anything in my size (size 0 regular clothes, XS, and size 2-4 dress size). Will I have difficulty finding my size? And this may be a long shot, but does anyone know of specialty stores for petite women?

4.)A coworker of mine recommended that we eat at least one meal in Little Italy because she said the food is great there. Does anyone have any restaurant suggestions?

5.) Finally, what is the weather usually like during October?

I need help!
I will be going to NYC in October (dates not set yet) with my bf for 2 weeks. I will be staying at the Waldorf, and its my first time visiting NYC so I have a lot of questions.

1.)First of all, I know the Waldorf is famous, and I have been to their website, but I really want to know of the experiences of people that have been there or know someone who has been there. I guess my concern is whether the people there are going to be all snotty and act like I shouldn't be there or do they roll out the red carpet for everyone?

2.)For about a week and a half I will be exploring the city all alone (my bf will be working during that time :cry:), and as much as I enjoy fashion and shopping, I don't think I can spend 10 straight days doing nothing else but shopping. Does anyone have suggestions of what else I can do with my days (besides going to the MET because I'll be going there with my bf on his day off)? Are there other museums worth visiting besides the MET?

3.)One problem that I have out here in TX, is that its hard for me to find anything in my size (size 0 regular clothes, XS, and size 2-4 dress size). Will I have difficulty finding my size? And this may be a long shot, but does anyone know of specialty stores for petite women?

4.)A coworker of mine recommended that we eat at least one meal in Little Italy because she said the food is great there. Does anyone have any restaurant suggestions?

Sorry, never stayed there, nor do I know anyone who has, so, not sure. :(

There are lots of things to do in NYC, besides shopping. However, I don't really know what you're interests are, so it's hard to make suggestions... do you like to read? I'm a bookworm, and one of my favorite places to hang out was the four floor Barnes & Noble bookstore in Union Square. I also loved all the libraries! But I'm kind of nerdy like that... Um, if you like musicals and such, perhaps you could see a Broadway play?
As for shopping, there are some cool flea markets that happen in the city, and even though that sounds just like more shopping, I'm telling you the flea markets are much more alive and culturely (sp) interesting than NYC's many upscale botiques, in my opinion.
As for museums, besides the MET, maybe check out the Museum of Folk Art? I don't really like museums though... so I don't have a lot of suggestions sorry.
Oh and if you like the great outdoors, visit Central Park for a nice stroll and what not, and perhaps get a ride on one of the horse drawn carriages. ^_^

I think you should be able to find stuff in your size for sure! I wear around the same sizes and I generally didn't have a problem finding things in my sizes. I mean occasionally a store would not have my size, but I figure anybody else in any other size occasionally has that problem too.
I don't know any petite stores though (I'm very tall), though in a place like NYC, I know there must be some! ^_^

Being a starving artist I don't eat out a lot (food in NYC is expensive!) I also have the tastebuds of a five year old, so I never like fancy restaurants with gormet (sp) food. :P However if you're ever up for a killer burger and fries (or hot dog, or similar foods) and milkshake (or custard or ice cream, etc...) stop by the Shake Shack (http://www.shakeshacknyc.com/). My favorite place to eat in Manhattan! :heart: Of course, it always happens to be a lot of New Yorkers favorite, and so you may have to stand in a line of anywhere from 30-150 or so people. 5 PM-5:30PM or so, I've found is the best time to go with the least amount of people. :flower:

A bit chilly, I think. No need to buddle up like it's the dead of winter, but I think for most people it's much past shorts season. :wink: Depends on how easily you get cold, or whether you're like me and rarely get cold. I'd dress in layers a bit, that way you can adjust if it turns out to be a bit warmer or colder than you thought.

Thanks so much Susanna-Cole :flower:
The flea market sounds very interesting, I probably will check it out. I can be quite a book worm as well so a 4 floored Barnes & Noble sounds great too.
I've heard of the Shake Shack before so that will probably be a place I will have to visit. I just can't believe so many people are willing to wait in line for that long. And thanks so much for the weather help! I so would have packed for a blizzard :lol:

^I stayed at the Waldorf in '04. It was nice, no one was snotty. That said, there a million better hotels in NYC. And I didn't like give money to the Hiltons, frankly.

I don't know about little Italy, however across from the Waldorf is a fantastic italian place...I don't recall the name, but apparently the old pope, John Paul II, loved it. Just circle the Waldorf, and if it is still open, you will find it. It is a bit pricey though.

Enjoy your trip.

^My uncle lives there, so I stay with him. Maybe a NYer can chime in?

I have heard positive things about the Royalton and the London.

If you want old school glamour, the Four Seasons, or the Pierre.

That said, for minimum money and ultra glam, the Wardolf is hard to beat. For $300 in manhattan, it IS very nice...I know it's crazy, but that is a good price for NYC for what you get.

Also, they offer corp. discounts, etc...be sure to look into that if it applies.

That said, for minimum money and ultra glam, the Wardolf is hard to beat. For $300 in manhattan, it IS very nice...I know it's crazy, but that is a good price for NYC for what you get.
:huh:
it's more like 700-800. for $300 you won't even get a decent 3 star hotel.
as for suggestions, the gramercy park hotel and the soho grand hotel are great...

^ when I last checked, it was about $300 for a basic Wardolf room (which is still nice)? We paid $180 in '04, but had a special rate.

...My mum worked for the gov't though, and got the gov't rate...

Suggestions For My NY Trip

HELLO EVERYONE I AM TAKING A TRIP IN JANUARY TO NEW YORK FOR MY VERY FIRST TIME. AS WE ALL KNOW I LOVE FASHION A LOT. I EVEN OWN MY OWN BOUTIQUE. :heart: PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I SHOULD GO WHAT I SHOULD SEE. WHAT WILL INSPIRE ME? I KNOW I WOULD LIKE TO SEE BLOOMINGDALES BUT WHERE IS IT LOCATED? ALSO HOW ABOUT THE RESTAURANT SERENDIPITY? WHERE IS THAT LOCATED. I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT ALL OF THIS. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arielmarison
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->