Travel Guide : New York City

I'll be there in september and OMG, i've no words to tell you how excited i am :lol:

Forgot to tell, my friend and I are planning to stay at the Roosevelt. Any thoughts on this hotel?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm staying at the Intercontinental Barclay... My uncle got me a good deal there... Any reviews?

Gym Recommendations in NYC?

Hi! I need your help finding a gym in Manhattan. There are so many choices and my budget is very limited. I have friends who go to Equinox, NYSC, and Club H but spending $90-150/mo is really outrageous for me. Plus, I wouldn't need all the classes since my medical condition restricts me in that area. I just need a good elliptical or treadmill.

I was looking into Bally's and maybe even Lucille Roberts (since it's all-female which is nice b/c I get very self-conscious at co-ed gyms....yeah, I'm the uncoordinated, overweight, awkward one) but I've heard horror stories...Has anyone tried the facilities with NY Parks & Recreation? They're just $70 for the whole year I think. (although they close pretty early).

I'm located in Midtown East/Murray Hill area so if anyone has any gym recommendations, please please tell me about them! Thanks!

Does anyone know of a place called Towne? My friend loves it, but only had seen it on the Food Network some years ago.

She says they have organic oatmeal. Any ideas?

awww I wish I had seen this thread about 3 weeks ago when I was in New York. :( It was my total dream city though, I will live there permanently one day.

Random question :ninja: Will my friend and I (i'm 19, she's 20) be able to go to clubs/bars and drink, even if we're not 21? :ninja: There must be a way to, don't tell me >20 nyorkers don't go to bars/clubs and drink :lol:

You don't really need an ID. It is very rare they'll ask you for one.

New York City Hotel Recs

Hi Everyone,

My fiance and I are going to be honeymooning in NYC this coming September. We are looking for a cool, boutique style hotel in a decent neighborhood but it needs to be somewhat affordable (under $300/night if possible). Does anyone have any recommendations for us?

Also: any recommendations for great fashion districts and/or other things to do such as museums (we like contemporary and modern art), nightlife, etc would be great!

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Hi guys so I've just read the whole thread so hopefully I won't repeat any of the same questions!!

I'm going in august and I really want to go to an amazing sushi/japanese restaurant but there are so many to choose from! What have been your experiences or personal favourites?

So far it's between Jewel Bako, Sushi Yasuda, Megu and Masa...any suggestions would be much appreciated!

hi guys :smile: i'm going to new york in a couple weeks and i was wondering if anyone knew of any chinese food restaurants (that either do take-out, delivery or not) that have chinese that you can eat out of a box?
sounds stupid but i've wanted to do that forever lol

I was wondering if anyone here knows where I can find info on which New York-based bands are playing shows in the city and when?

So far all I know of is www.ohmyrockness.com, but I have a feeling there are more shows than that.

Are there places where you can just show up, buy tickets at the door and see a show?

Or buy tickets in advance and see a show somewhere... (Nothing too expensive :$)

Thank you <3

hi guys :smile: i'm going to new york in a couple weeks and i was wondering if anyone knew of any chinese food restaurants (that either do take-out, delivery or not) that have chinese that you can eat out of a box?
sounds stupid but i've wanted to do that forever lol

go to Chinatown.
to make sure asked for the small size (pint) then you get the box
B)

could anyone suggest a bookstore
with a large range of fashion magazines?
TIA...im going to NYC for college and ill def need my fix
of magazines

could anyone suggest a bookstore
with a large range of fashion magazines?
TIA...im going to NYC for college and ill def need my fix
of magazines

I think there's a good number of little shops that sell only newspapers and magazines, perhaps those would have a more expansive variety of fashion magazines? Sorry, I don't know for sure though, I've passed many on the streets of Manhattan, but never stepped inside. :doh:

I :heart: the Union Square Barnes & Noble bookstore though, it's four floors, and does have a pretty good selection of magazines, though I don't have much to compare to, as far as whether there's other stores with a better selection.

:flower:

Any (Fashion, etc) events going on in NYC this weekend?

Hi All! I'm really excited to be a part of tfs. This is my first post, and I looked around and couldn't find a place to really talk about this...so I'm putting it here in entertainment....
Anyway, I'm headed to nyc this weekend for a few days and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on any events going on that I shouldn't miss.

Fashion events, sample sales, etc. *I really wish I'd been up there for the Sartorialist's book signing. Oh,well - I guess I'll keep checking his schedule.
:heart:

Secret Reservation Line for La Esquina Basement?

Does anyone know the "secret" number to make a reservation for dinner in the La Esquina basement? If you don't want to post it please message me :smile: Thanks in advance

I am going to New York at the end of next year. I have never been before and I am really excited but. I want to go when its snowing and it has to allign with my uni holidays so I think we will be going in January. Is this a good time of year to go? I'm more into the relaxing in the hotel bar and shopping on fifth rather than cramming in every site within a 50 mile radius so I wont be wandering around outside all day.
What is the weather like and what kind of shoes do I need for this and coats and all of the rest. I'm not used to cold weather but I love it.
Also, do you think 2 weeks is a good amount of time to stay in New York or should we do more of a month stay?

I think 2 weeks is more than enough! I usually only go for a week, if that. I love New York, but there isn't that much to do if you're not going to be sightseeing and it's very expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->