Two Tone Hair

^^ this is a bit extreme but:

image credit: jak+jil

:lol:Thank you^_^, but I meant someone with light brown roots that fade to dark brown at the ends, or (preferrably) someone with dark brown roots that fade to near black at the ends. My own hair is dark brown, and I was considering going with the latter, as I can't attempt the normal two-tone look because of an allergy to bleach:doh:.

Rachelbojangles please provide the source for your image or it will be removed. Thank you :flower:.

:lol:Thank you^_^, but I meant someone with light brown roots that fade to dark brown at the ends, or (preferrably) someone with dark brown roots that fade to near black at the ends. My own hair is dark brown, and I was considering going with the latter, as I can't attempt the normal two-tone look because of an allergy to bleach:doh:.

starsinhereyes how dark is your hair and what exactly is the bleach allergy?? maybe there is more than one way to lighten your hair, especially if your allergy is just to a chemical in the developer or specifically to perxoides or bleach compounds or something?

when i was younger i used to put a (sticky!!) mixture of water, lemon juice + salt in my hair and sit in the sun for hours -- it gets a bit brassy and certainly isn't the most reliable method, but it definitely will lighten all but the darkest of hair, and is a pretty easy and cheap way to get a natural sort of sunny, beachy highlights...i think chamomile tea also has a similar lightening effect.

it takes a bit of time (like, a few weeks of doing it every few days) but this might also be a nice way to gradually get this look for everyone else trying to do it at home -- if you are just continually ligthening your ends a little bit you're not likely to get a really fake-looking straight line of roots!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since my other pics directly from the site disappeared I uploaded these myself. Ashlee Simpson from 2007 had great 2 tone blonde hair.
2tone3.jpg

2tone2.jpg

ashleensimpson.com

if anyone has the jcrew catalog with erin wasson on the cover or the one that came out afterwards, all the models have the two tone and it looks so cool.

starsinhereyes how dark is your hair and what exactly is the bleach allergy?? maybe there is more than one way to lighten your hair, especially if your allergy is just to a chemical in the developer or specifically to perxoides or bleach compounds or something?

when i was younger i used to put a (sticky!!) mixture of water, lemon juice + salt in my hair and sit in the sun for hours -- it gets a bit brassy and certainly isn't the most reliable method, but it definitely will lighten all but the darkest of hair, and is a pretty easy and cheap way to get a natural sort of sunny, beachy highlights...i think chamomile tea also has a similar lightening effect.

it takes a bit of time (like, a few weeks of doing it every few days) but this might also be a nice way to gradually get this look for everyone else trying to do it at home -- if you are just continually ligthening your ends a little bit you're not likely to get a really fake-looking straight line of roots!

My hair is a very dark brown, about this color:

brownhair.png

I have an allergy to most home and hair Bleaches. Just wearing a shirt that's been washed with Bleach makes me break out in hives that take a long time to go away:doh:. I don't honestly know why, but I've had the allergy since I was a kid.

Thank you for the ideas^_^! Even if I wasn't allergic to Bleach, I still don't know if I would have this done where I am, because the hairdressers in my town are not very good:unsure:. I think I'll try them this Summer. Do you know how long the results will last:huh:?

^^ lightening your hair is definitely permanent, though over time it might fade/get brassy/etc, and as it grows out you get roots -- but that's the whole point :smile: where are you from? since it'll technically last a long time and growing out isn't an issue, you could always get it done if you are on a trip somewhere with better hair salons?

lemon juice + salt etc will probably just make your hair a bit lighter or reddish, but should still have an effect...

if you can find out exactly what it is you're allergic to it might help figure out what options you have :smile: have you used peroxide (hydrogen peroxide, the brown bottle stuff from the drugstore) before and been ok? i'm fairly sure a lot of hair bleaches are peroxide based and not necessarily sodium hypochlorite or calcium hypochlorite or those like chlorine bleaches, which is the stuff that "smells" like bleach and we think of as Clorox, etc, and that also makes ME itchy (but no hives) if I use it on my clothes.

i am allergic to nonoxynol-9 which is (haha gross) used as a spermicide in condoms but also shows up in a lot of box hair dyes -- but i've been fine at salons nearly all the time, and also with buying the developer + dye tint separately from a beauty supply myself as opposed to like a box of l'oreal feria or whatever.

if anyone has the jcrew catalog with erin wasson on the cover or the one that came out afterwards, all the models have the two tone and it looks so cool.

love this... my hair stylish suggested it to me so is blondish/so light brownie mix that makes it go from one color to other depending on the light...:P its fun!
Even i can look gingerish alot haha:lol:

BTW, I do love Erin Wasson hair style!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love her hair too. Actually I love anyone with the two tone look. ^_^
I had my hair dyed last october, and my roots are showing up... I think it'll give a nice two tone one day but for the moment it's weird. Does anyone have tips? what did you do if this happened to you?

I never knew that this was called Two-Tone hair! I've loved this colour style for a long time but never knew what it was called. I'm glad I found this thread! :D

yes, i always look dead because im pale, but i look so fresh with a little lightness.
it makes my eyes look lighter.

does anyone know how to get rid of brassiness on brown hair that is lightened?

i know a pro should do it, but someone told me i could use platinum blonde ash to take the orange out..and it wont turn me blonde..any ideas? im naturally dark brown.

To answer the question about two tone hair on brunettes, I have(had) pretty dark brown hair, and I went to get the ends lightened. The colorist said I could only go two shades lighter otherwise it would turn brassy(whatever that means). It's still the two-tone look, but sort of with a different color scheme.

^^ lightening your hair is definitely permanent, though over time it might fade/get brassy/etc, and as it grows out you get roots -- but that's the whole point :smile: where are you from? since it'll technically last a long time and growing out isn't an issue, you could always get it done if you are on a trip somewhere with better hair salons?

lemon juice + salt etc will probably just make your hair a bit lighter or reddish, but should still have an effect...

if you can find out exactly what it is you're allergic to it might help figure out what options you have :smile: have you used peroxide (hydrogen peroxide, the brown bottle stuff from the drugstore) before and been ok? i'm fairly sure a lot of hair bleaches are peroxide based and not necessarily sodium hypochlorite or calcium hypochlorite or those like chlorine bleaches, which is the stuff that "smells" like bleach and we think of as Clorox, etc, and that also makes ME itchy (but no hives) if I use it on my clothes.

i am allergic to nonoxynol-9 which is (haha gross) used as a spermicide in condoms but also shows up in a lot of box hair dyes -- but i've been fine at salons nearly all the time, and also with buying the developer + dye tint separately from a beauty supply myself as opposed to like a box of l'oreal feria or whatever.

It's alright if it isn't the normal two-tone look, maybe even better if it's not^_^. You know, more unique. I live in North Dakota, basically the middle of fashion no-where, so maybe I'll get it done when I go to New York this March.

I've never tried any store bleaches. I'm a fraidy cat, so I've played it safe always. I'll ask my doctor next time I see him what, specifically I'm allergic to, and get back to you guys:lol:!

To answer the question about two tone hair on brunettes, I have(had) pretty dark brown hair, and I went to get the ends lightened. The colorist said I could only go two shades lighter otherwise it would turn brassy(whatever that means). It's still the two-tone look, but sort of with a different color scheme.

Examples:huh:?

at the moment the only example i can think of is rachel bilson, however it's a bit more noticeable then her hair:

2ytxtf8.jpg

i'll look for better pictures

from justjared.com

I have an allergy to most home and hair Bleaches. Just wearing a shirt that's been washed with Bleach makes me break out in hives that take a long time to go away:doh:. I don't honestly know why, but I've had the allergy since I was a kid.

Thank you for the ideas^_^! Even if I wasn't allergic to Bleach, I still don't know if I would have this done where I am, because the hairdressers in my town are not very good:unsure:. I think I'll try them this Summer. Do you know how long the results will last:huh:?

i had been using the blonde shampoo and marlyn treatment from lush and leave in hair lightener (like few times) for about a year or so and trust me it will lighten your hair too without the power of the bleach, and the lightened part now got a reddish cast

^^that reddish cast, especially when it turns really flat and unnatural orange, is what everyone means with the 'brassiness'....

lostinemotion, agreed that you should see a pro for some toning, but you could try using a semipermanent box dye in a very cool ash blonde -- this will not lighten your hair as it has no bleach, check on the box, buy the one that is for natural very light blondes -- but it should change the tone of your hair a bit cooler and neutralize some of that brassy orange... also tons of conditioner, damage also contributes to the brassy tones.

Do you guys know any good salon in Boston that could do this look???

It's alright if it isn't the normal two-tone look, maybe even better if it's not^_^. You know, more unique. I live in North Dakota, basically the middle of fashion no-where, so maybe I'll get it done when I go to New York this March.

let me know if you want recc's on salons or anything here in NYC -- i've been to a few places that are like GENIUSES with the balayage and i'm sure they could do this kind of stuff. definitely easier to find folks who know what you're talking about when you ask for this here than in the suburbs... haa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoutshonor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->