UK Harpers Bazaar May 2010 : Jennifer Aniston by Alexi Lubomirski

i love the concept of that ed. all those colors and shapes are very eye-catchy and pleasant to look at.

lame as usual from Harper's Bazaar and Jen = so out for centuries now

I don't get the hate. Yes, would have preferred a model, but i think they've done something different with her. Love the arty lighting. And the green logo which is at least different from all those fluoro orange and pinks everywhere. Plus, v cool to have Elise on the beauty supplement cover.

I love Jennifer`s editorial. So summery and subtle. Love. Thanks for the scans

Next month's issue looks promising from the preview. You also get a free bag by Alice Temperley.
Hopefully we get an editorial similar to the image below. Really like the styling!

BAZAAR552.jpg

*scan by vogue28

^ Ohhhh I love this picture. Can't wait to see the ed

Jennifer's editorial is one of the most beautiful eds with a celeb I've ever seen.

Oh, UK Bazaar, no. Please. No.

Although I realize she's arguably had at least a passable career in film/television, has very high celebrity status overall and must have a big (Friends?) fanbase, personally and imho Jennifer Aniston has nothing to recommend herself to a fashion publication. Certainly The Bounty Hunter isn't a film that merits this big a promotional effort, nor is Jennifer as one of the film's stars alone therefore worthy of a cover feature. Unfortunately, that's not really how it works, but it is, regardlessly, Boring. Just completely and utterly uninteresting. :doh:

(Oh yeah, but then I also dislike Jennifer Aniston. There is that, of course.)

At any rate, the cover and inside feature is such boring use of Jennifer. This isn't a look or a style that I haven't seen from her 28 times before; warm, Summer-esque settings, bland styling, flowy hair, typical dreamy posing and expressions. That isn't to say it's her fault, but it is another representation of the pure lack of imagination beyond movie promotion that this feature reeks of in every way. Perhaps this is why some people so often demand for model covers over celebrity covers. When a model (in general terms) is chosen for an ed rather than an ed is made for a model, the results just seem to be more eye-catching at the least.

Personally, I don't mind celebrity cover features per se, but come on Bazaar. I know Jen's just promoting a movie, but surely you can do something a little edgier with her regardless? Perhaps something where you might actually see the fashion also? :P

Also, judging from honeycombchild's preview :smile:flower:smile:, stylistically the "Block Party" ed reminds me a lot of Chloë Sevigny's Korean Harper's Bazaar ed by Pavel Havlicek, and the "Beautiful Chaos" ed does absolutely nothing to me either. Overall, this sounds like a thin and substance-void issue. I think I'll find better use for my money next month.

(Btw, is it just me or was there a "Block Party" titled ed in some other publication recently? :ninja: My brain fails me. As it usually does.)

i really liked this issue actually. quite small but i didn't find jen's interview as dull as usual with all the break-up references (there was only one luckily)

and there were less boring features (the skin one was dull though)

i loved the love ball feature too.

I don't care who they put on the cover, I'll buy it. UKHB has become a favorite of mine since Lucy Yeomans took over.

^ 100% agree. Lucy doesn't get the credit she deserves. I like that she's quite glamorous in her appearance too. I can't believe she's only 39 and had the top job since she was 29.

Years ago, there always seemed to be mumblings about her being difficult to work with, but that type of complaint seems to be par for the course for any woman in charge of anything.

The evolution of Harpers & Queen into UK Harper's Bazaar is like seeing a racehorse that's been held back for years suddenly being allowed to run at its full speed.

The evolution of Harpers & Queen into UK Harper's Bazaar is like seeing a racehorse that's been held back for years suddenly being allowed to run at its full speed.

Well put. Although this will be the first UK Bazaar issue I will be knowingly passing since 2008, overall the magazine is one of the few today who are genuinely trying to live up to the esteem their title suggests. By comparison, there is a magazine or three whom I think should be taking notes in this respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't bought it yet - but despite being wrapped with a supplement, it still feels like a thin issue, so I dread to think what size the June-July ones will be, because even in the good years, they were lean. They'll probably wrap one of those issues with their traditional newsstand gift of cheap plastic sunglasses in a choice of three colours as a lure for purchasers... if Tatler doesn't get there first, with the offer.

Love Ball looks amazing. V cool shot of Mario with Natalia and Kate on his knee. Super Mario indeed!

Yeomans is certainly a treasure, still young too - much to come from her indeed. It takes a great vision to steer Harper's from what it was to what it is now. Someone I know interned there and said she was absolutely gorgeous, she was very surprised when she met her, taken back by how sweet she was. But anybody in the top job who is successful knows what needs to happen and that isn't always gong to suit everyone.

here again she's orange ! too much of photoshop kills photoshop

Yeah, that's the sunset not photoshop. Actually, it's more in recent years, or from 1995 to like last year everything has generally had a lot of blue tone to it. For instance, speaking of photoshop, if you do autocontrast etc everything becomes blue compared to how you carefully selected the lighting and set your camera when you took your photographs. So in fact, this is not due to photoshop, it is due to the sunset and the courage to show the image as it then in fact is and not autocorrected it in order not to make people weirded out it doesn't look like the photo they took with their crappy camera on the beach last year.

I sort of said it before, and I do stand by it, Jennifer's ed is one of the best that's been suited to her. I always wish they'd try something different with her and move her into much edgier territory, but this sort of sunny, hazy ed definitely shows off the type of beauty she is. Maybe they could have pushed it further, but I do love the colours of her ed especially. Although perhaps it would have made a much better cover in high Summer - July/August perhaps.

Great shopping section on denim and khaki with very cool opening model shot. They have the best shopping pages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->