UK Vogue March 2024 by Steven Meisel

See, I personally don't see that as a big deal really. They worked quite consistently throughout the 90s, so even though she may not have been one of his muses I don't understand why we all think he despised her? He photographed her very early on in 1992, a year before she scored her first Vogue cover. They went on to collaborate through Calvin Klein for years, done multiple covers for American Vogue and two for Italian, she even appeared in one of his most celebrated fashion stories from '97. Was it ever confirmed that they had beef? Because there's no concrete proof of that, in fact it's quite the contrary. I believe it's safe to say he worked even less with Cindy Crawford than he did with Kate, yet there's no rumors about that relationship.
Feud or not I'm happy to see these two back again after 25 years.

got 40 famous and beautiful women in the same room and managed to make the resulting image look about as interesting as watching paint dry on the (grey) wall in that studio.

also please, "icons"? That's not the word I'd use to describe about half of the cover subjects (Lila Moss?? lol) but sure.

Can you imagine what a scheduling nightmare this must've been and how much effort and pull it must've taken to get the 40 (!!!) women that were actually there in the first place? Madonna and Adele are touring. Depending on when this shoot was scheduled, Taylor might have still been on tour as well as Beyoncé. Rihanna just had a baby. Margot was booked to the gods since Barbie. Bella was on a hiatus due to her illness and then Palestine happened. If there's anything anyone should respect about this cover, it's the organisation and scheduling that went into getting all these major women in the same room for a single photograph. Not many could pull it off.
I mean, they got Gigi. I assume Bella opted out to do Perfect magazine (an actually great set of covers which she got to art direct)

I respect the organisation of the image but the image itself is a washed-out abomination and a waste of that level of star wattage.

I mean, they got Gigi. I assume Bella opted out to do Perfect magazine (an actually great set of covers which she got to art direct)

I respect the organisation of the image but the image itself is a washed-out abomination and a waste of that level of star wattage.
Many other cover stars did Perfect magazine as well (Christy, Linda, Kaia, Karen, Kate, ...) so I would not say that's the reason Bella is not here.

I never said it was, just said that she might have preferred to do Perfect because she got to art direct her covers (which are much better than this).

I've just received my subscription copy...

I like the colour scheme of the cover, but I'm not a fan of big group shots - it's a crowd on a cover - and it can start to look more like an artificial collage than a real collection of people.

Anyway, we've all seen the front, the inside cover gatefold campaign is for Vuitton.

The articles start with director Steve McQueen reflecting on the lasting influence Edward has had on UK Vogue, the mini fashion features use reprinted vintage images from UK/US Vogue, Zadie Smith makes peace with her wardrobe, a look at four decades of London Fashion Week, there's also an interview with Sheridan Smith... there are one-page shots of Cecilia Chancellor and Kirsty Hume in the beauty section...

The cover story, I flicked past it, b/w shots of people walking in a corridor, THE EVENING NEWS has beautiful light, there's a piece with Keir Starmer, where he's selling himself as a down-to-earth football-watching man of the people, OVER & ABOVE is a simple studio-shot presentation with Doutzen and Liya, AN ALTAR TO MEMORY has an additional touch of Rafael Pavarotti explaining his inspiration behind each image. Back page is 'What would Adwoa Aboah do'?

Given that it's highly likely the fashion editorials will be reprinted in other editions, the main selling point of this issue IS the cover. Maybe also the sheer amount of new season ads?

SILENT.1--620x420.jpeg

lucyodonnell.com

The Evening News and Above feel very US Vogue, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

The captions in Pavarotti's editorial are so pretentiously cringe-worthy, the kind of stuff you'd hear from a second year photography student trying desperately to explain the 'concept' behind their work.

"In this picture, we see the true roots of the Black woman's presence in this world - who in society today is still a vulnerable being - to which even the snake shows no harm." could be rephrased to "I like Natassja Kinski and The Serpent."
vT2wR5MG_o-down.jpg

And I guess Naomi by Jeurgen in 1994 for US Vogue was on Addy's mood board...
YPaChQHH_o-down.jpg

anothermag.com, pleasurephoto.wordpress.com

THE EVENING NEWS
Photography:
Campbell Addy
Styling: Max Ortega
Hair: Lacy Redway
Make-up: Yadim Carranza
Models: Adut Akech & Samuel Elkhier

UK Vogue Digital Edition

WOWWW I absolutely love this editorial !!! Styling and models are killing it for me. Thank you for uploading this :smile:

Edward won't stop here. His name will start to resurge when Anna will say enough... Lovely to see Doutzen, Liya and Adut!

bought it for £2, I have to say it's no better in real life, it looks too retouched, the main editorial is boring, backstage photos, the other editorials are not very hilarious, there's the Bibi cn Douzen and Liya editorial which is It was made for the American edition given the involvement of Camilla Nickerson, being the last issue I expected something more exclusive and legendary

Edward won't stop here. His name will start to resurge when Anna will say enough... Lovely to see Doutzen, Liya and Adut!
His name will probably start to resurge when he styles a cover of US Vogue…And that might happen in the few months. Lol

Was planning to buy this issue just because I have his first BV issue, and want to get his last just for keepsakes. But after flicking through the digital issue, I think I won't buy this (this magazine cost $15 in my country, I'm going to spend it anywhere else).

The main ed is a let down, and pretty sure I can get Adut's & Bibi's ed in US Vogue (probably it's going to be longer too there). Pavarotti's ed is so gloomy, and I couldn't find any Fashion (capital F) that Edward promised in this issue. I feel that this is not an end of his era, his era already ended when Conde decided to do shared content strategy and forced Edward to publish reprint eds from US Vogue that is definitely not his aesthetic.

Sometimes I think Edward's era can be divided into two chapters - pre-Covid promise and post-Covid disappointment.

The start of his tenure was an long overdue change and felt exciting, and he did well to weather the unexpected, but what came after relied too much on hyping up cover shots, and not enough on delivering actual content.

I was always impressed by how much the magazine energetically pursued advertising, especially by branching out into various lifestyle sectors. The advertising might not be directly relevant to every reader (weddings, babies, property) but at least you weren't getting any tiny pamphlets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessRW
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->