UK Vogue - The Cover Archive

I knew back in March that Naomi Scott's cover would be my favourite of 2019. For me, it was absolutely... pixel-perfect. My second fave is Zoe Kravitz, loved how juicy, vibrant and summery the cover shot felt (despite being photographed in Meisel's studio). Also have the give the Kate Moss covers a mention, for obvious reasons.

I did severely dislike September and Madonna. Also wasn't much of a fan of Dua Lipa, Emma Stone and thought Naomi Campbell's cover shot was too artsy for British Vogue and did feel like it was a total missed opportunity.

Overall, way more hits and than misses from Edward this year and I still look forward to British Vogue each and every month! Bring on 2020.

My top 3 are Naomi Scott, Zoe Kravitz and Kaia Gerber. For some reason, I like Kate by Jamie, Lizzo and Madonna's one -very dramatic, just like her-.

I really really really dislike Emma's cover that dress looks hideous, and the hair... gurl. September is a painful to watch, same with Dua's cover.

So many duds, and then there's September and Madonna! :lol: Not duds in the sense that it's awful, but just that it doesn't quite hit the mark for me. I don't get what he's going for with these covers. Srdjan is so very right when he says these would be chic in every part of the world, but all of them won't even appeal to one specific country and that just makes the direction scattered. Alt is into vintage with ridiculously awful and borderline juvenile art direction, Anna is after the subjects who can keep the tongues wagging - sometimes scraping the bottom of the barrel, and Farneti is just clueless and making it up as he's going along. But I'd be hard-pressed to tell you what British Vogue is about, purely by looking at these covers.

Truth be told my only favourites were Emma, Kate by Hawkesworth and maybe Kaia. At least the art direction is consistent, I'll give him that. Except Meghan's cover, of course.

Globalization is his goal, though. There was that event the other day, Vogue Fashion Festival, and Vogue Paris had a bunch of Insta stories where they spoke to Bella, Victoria Beckham and many more, including Edward, and when asked what he's most excited about in future of fashion he said it would be fashion going global or something along those lines, so I guess that means he achieved his desired result with his work.
Looking at the covers, they are indeed disconnected. I don't hate them (except for September and Dua Lipa), but it's not much better than Alexandra. In fact, the only thing Edward changed is the amount of women of color on the covers. My favorites are definitely Kaia and all of Kate's covers. Also really loved Zoe's, she's such a stunner. I just wish he would settle on one certain direction - are you into the vintage-y Meisel covers or are you into something completely different? Cause it clashes, all these covers don't go together and there's no sense of identity that other big Vogues (like Anna's) have (besides that layout which is now recognisable). Step it up Edward, you started out strong and you were big on words about your #NewVogue, but I'm still not impressed because there's nothing new or groundbreaking to justify that lame hashtag.

Aside from the Naomi one, my eyes mostly go to the Meisel covers because they seem like perfect, self-contained shots that were crafted for the purpose of being on the front of the magazine.

In contrast, a lot of the non-Meisel covers look like they've been lifted from halfway through the editorial story, and slapped on the front. I don't get the feeling the same amount of thought went into most of the non-Meisel selections.

I don't dislike the Naomi Campbell one, because it felt right to see her get the cover, but it was a bit weird, and I can't help thinking it's almost a backhanded compliment to be shown like that - "we're not saying she's two-faced..."

I note they've also tried to be unnecessarily arty with the Lizzo cover (not shown). I want my cover images to be crisp and glossy, not what looks like half-***ed reprints of stills taken from a vanity video project, with insulting special effects thrown over the top. Showcase the woman, let her spirit come through.

2020:

January: Taylor Swift by Craig McDean
February: Lupita Nyong'o by Steven Meisel
March: Irina Shayk by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
April: Jodie Comer by Steven Meisel
May: Rihanna by Steven Klein
June: Judi Dench by Nick Knight
July: Narguis Horsford, Rachel Millar & Anisa Omar by Jamie Hawkesworth
August: Nick Knight, David Hockney, Nadine Ijewere, Martin Parr, David Bailey, Lubaina Himid, Tim Walker, Craig McDean, Alasdair McLellan, Juergen Teller, David Sims, Jamie Hawkesworth, Marcus Piggott & Mert Alas
September: Adwoa Aboah & Marcus Rashford by Misan Harriman
October: Emma Corrin by Charlotte Wales
November: Selena Gomez by Zoe Ghertner
December: Beyoncé by Kennedi Carter

VOGUE.CO.UK

Honestly? A very weak year for Vogue UK... I had such high hopes when Edward was announced as editor in chief. The only good thing is having Meisel on the team, which we see is no guarantee of good covers!

PS: Taylor again, Rihanna again, Adwoa again...

Jodie and Irina. I'm still shocked about the Beyonce's X rated covers, hahaha. The reset covers look more like a bunch beautiful travel supps. Taylor's cover has the Meisel team behind that, but is quite short. Serena's is the worst, I wish she was looking at the camera, bad choice of picture for that cover story.

What exactly does British Vogue stand for? All these covers look so random. Their only unifying trait seems to be the “WWAD” mentality behind them.

but the most random of all is Serena. I understand why she would be on the cover of the American version but here?

This year's covers remind me of the 2020 meme Reese Witherspoon created. Covers range from bright, colourful ones at the beginning of the year to very confusing ones during the summer to gloomy in the end.

I have March, April and December (the green one). I guess I could've bought Judi's too, it was quite remarkable.

Wow, these covers are all over the place. A mash-up of American Vogue, W, UK Harper's, POP.....not a good mix.

Anyway, my favourites were:
Jodie Comer
Nick Knight Reset
Irina Shayk

And the worst
Emma Corrin
Rihanna
Adwoa & Marcus

but the most random of all is Serena. I understand why she would be on the cover of the American version but here?

I'm wondering whether she was originally due to appear on a summer cover to coincide with Wimbledon - even if she hadn't been playing, she's such a big part of this British institution that it would have made sense.

But then the world got turned upside down, and maybe Edward didn't want to waste having access to someone on Serena's level, so here's her tennis-white cover story pushed back to appear in the November issue.

Quite hit-and-miss but I still adore that first front line cover and Jodie Comer and Judi Dench's covers were fabulous.

I know I'm in the minority but I also liked the Black Panther-inspired activism one and Emma Corrin's.

I think (as everyone) that Alt will win the cover battle this year. I liked Vogue Portugal too, but that's personal. Poor the guy/girl that will upload the Farneti's zillions multicovers from this year. I won't do it this time, hahaha. Edward, lift this! I liked his first two years, this one was downhill since the pandemic. At least he can pull this argument to explain such a weak year.

January: Kate Moss (X2) by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
February: Dua Lipa by Emma Summerton
March: Angelina Jolie (X2) by Craig McDean
April: (X4) Achenrin Madit, Precious Lee, Mona Tougaard & Janaye Furman by Steven Meisel
May: Thandiwe Newton (X2) by Mikael Jansson
June: Billie Eilish by Craig McDean
July: Malala Yousafzai by Nick Knight
August: Margot Robbie (X2) by Lachlan Bailey
September: Gemma Chan by Hanna Moon
October: Zendaya by Craig McDean
November: Adele (X2) by Steven Meisel
December: Lady Gaga by Steven Meisel

(yes, I used Wikipedia for their names :lol:)

British Vogue/Facebook

1 April 2021
2 June 2021
3 Dec 2021
4 Nov 2021
5 January 2021

6 August 2021
7 May 2021
8 Sep 2021

9 Oct 2021
10 February 2021
11 March 2021
12 July 2021

Blue - Great
Green - Good
Purple - Okay
Orange - Not impressed
Red - Nope

2022:

January: Kristen McMenamy by Steven Meisel
February: Adut Akech, Anok Yai, Majesty Amare, Amar Akway, Janet Jumbo, Maty Fall, Nyagua Ruea, Abény Nhial and Akon Changkou by Rafael Pavarotti
March: Naomi Campbell by Steven Meisel
April: Anya Taylor-Joy by Craig McDean and Queen Elizabeth II by Lord Snowdon
May: Lila Moss by Steven Meisel
June: Gisele Bündchen by Steven Meisel
July: Beyoncé by Rafael Pavarotti
August: Cara Delevingne, Cynthia Erivo, Ariana DeBose, Jordan Barrett, Munroe Bergdorf, Sheerah Ravindren, Cameron Lee Phan, Aweng Chuol, Nathan Westling, Valentina Sampaio, Gottmik and Kai-Isaiah Jamal shot by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott
September: Linda Evangelista by Steven Meisel
October: Timothée Chalamet by Steven Meisel
November: A tribute to Queen Elizabeth II
December: Elizabeth Debicki, Simone Ashley, Sienna Miller and Yasmin Finney by Scott Trindle

VOGUE.CO.UK AND MODELS.COM

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->